Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Peter.N. »

Very much like that Neil, although I seem to remember the glass tank was larger in diameter and squatter - may just be my memory though, I think I used it on a number of occasions. I believe petrol was about 5/- a gallon then and I was running an 'E' model Vauxhall Velox.

Jim

The garage I used in Orpington, Burton and Deakin it was called, had an oil rack on the forecourt containing refillable glass bottles, labelled 'XL' and XXL' which I think was probably equivalent to SAE 30 and 40, no multigrade oil then, You helped yourself, topped the engine up and paid for it with your petrol which was ' Shellmex, Shell and super Shell. There was also a Redex dispenser by each pump, 1d per shot. For anyone who knows the area it was opposite Orpington station.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can remember dad buying four gallons for a pound when I was a lad Peter :) And the squirt of Redex too! That was still going strong when I started driving...

Dad always filled up at our local Jet garage; most likely as it was the self-same garage he used to get his cars from... Dad had a good few different cars in the 60s but would always pay cash - never HP (finance) or what he called the 'never-never'... Mum used to complain he was keeping the garage in business :lol:

Redex was technically known as 'upper cylinder lubricant' and for which many magical claims were made...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A few years ago I was permitted to thoroughly photograph the old sanitorium just up the road from me before it was redeveloped. Down in the engineering department (yep - they had a comprehensive workshop alongside the boilers and generators ! :-D ) there was this lovely old oil dispenser....
Oil dispenser, spud hospital - Own work
Oil dispenser, spud hospital - Own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

They still make Redex apparently Jim, I found a can of it in the garage. Jet petrol was the cheapest you could get, less that 5/- a gallon in the '50s. I can remember well going into the garage and asking for a pounds worth.

Yes, I remember those oil dispensers too, you wound the handle to deliver the oil, or was it semi rotary, anyway I thought about having one in my workshop at one time.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, good to know they still make Redex... I bet they don't still do the dispensers though...

If Jet was the cheapest then that will have been why dad bought it then... It must have been under 5/- a gallon or else dad could not have had the shot of Redex unless it was given free...

Those semi-rotary pumps were similar to boat bilge pumps weren't they?

Going back to a topic aired earlier in this thread...

I got these in my trawl of the local charity shops today :)

Pure 70s cheese 8-)
Own Work
Own Work
Note the original price tag on the one on the left...

I paid just 1d more for it today :) Discounted down from 30/- in the shop!!!

I also saw a very scruffy Hallmark 'Top of the Pops' LP too... Should I have bought it? Thing is, it would have cost me a quid and back in the day they sold for 15/- so it was expensive...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Love the 70s Disco album Jim

Now all you need is a pair of these:
Disco Boots.PNG
... though I'm not sure they'll be much good on the bike. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 17:46 Love the 70s Disco album Jim

Now all you need is a pair of these:
Disco Boots.PNG

... though I'm not sure they'll be much good on the bike. :-D

Oh yes 8-)
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Certainly Castrol were the most common because so many forecourts had those big green cabinets containing bulk oil tanks with hand pumps. I used to have a pint jug but it went when someone emptied my rented lock-up. All I have now is a yellow plastic "Jet" one, but at least it's authentic - unlike the repro. Castrol ones you can get now.

My grandfather was responsible for one of those manual petrol pumps which, as far as I can work out, was in the grounds of Arlington House (now a NT property & home of the National Carriage Museum) in the village of the same name in N. Devon.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have many 'top of the pops' programs on reel to reel tape, recorded around 1959/60 in the days of David Jacobs. They were made on my Philips 4 track 3 speed recorder 3542? Super machine for the time best audio quality. I used to get my dad to set it on Saturday night while I was 'courting' . The audio source was a Jason Kit VHF tuner. I don't have anything decent to play them on now.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had one of those Philips tape recorders when I was a lad Peter and yes, the quality was truly excellent!
Peter.N. wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 23:51The audio source was a Jason Kit VHF tuner.

Ahh yes, the famous Jason :) There must have been millions made as they still regularly crop up at vintage wireless rallies :)

I must get one to add to the collection... It'll go well with my leak Troughlines...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

van ordinaire wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 21:26 ...... I think there's still a small garage in South Molton with pumps either side of the workshop entrance.

Moors Garage South Molton

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.01607 ... 312!8i6656

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What a lovely garage :D A real timewarp one...

All it needs to set the scene properly is a DS peeping out of the workshop...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There are two petrol pumps at the side of the road in the village of Altnahara on the A835 between Lairg and Tongue, but no garage, there used to be a sign there 'for fuel ring bell at hotel', last time we went through it looked as though they were no longer used but they were for many years until recently.

Jim

I had two of those Jason tuners, one I built and I can't remember where the other came from, one used EF80s and the other EF91s. They were very good although we only lived about 20 miles from Wrotham Hill. When we got married we bought a house near Borough Green, practically underneath Wrotham Mast.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, I thought you might like to see this:
www.vintage-radio.net
www.vintage-radio.net
I have a 1958 copy of Practical Wireless as it contains all the servicing information for my radiogram.. That issue also contains a constructional project for a simple VHF FM tuner not unlike the Jason..

I'm very tempted to build it one day...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ahh :) I think that is slightly different to mine, I don't remember the big can to the right rear and I think the tuning knob was offset to one side but definitely from the same stable, same scale and paint finish, I think there were several versions, that one looks as though it had EF91s by the size of the cans, although maybe not. I think I should still have the book for mine - somewhere.

Thanks for that

Peter