Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 09:05 I can't remember Rothmans Cambridge at all Neil... Only their King Size...

Did they do a Benson and Hedges Oxford to go with it?

And were the packets designed by Pininfarina?

Yes see where you are going with those Jim. John Player could have done 20 Magnettes, or even 20 Siam Di Tella's just to join in. :-D

Tab packet names always had to drag up some sort of class and sophistication. They chose places lilke Pall Mall, Strand, Piccadilly, Grosvenor, Mayfair etc. You never saw a Benson and Hedges Consett or a Rothmans Merthyr Tydfil!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Feb 2018, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So did your local Icecream van have......

Lyons Maid
or
Walls

Now if you wanted a Mivvi you would have to go for the Lyons Maid proper Cornish Mivvi surely or would you be satisfied with a Walls "Split"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Trillo's (my wife worked for them as a girl) and Mr Whippy.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I was watching an episode of The Professionals the other day when Bodie and Doyle stopped off for an ice cream. Remarkably quick service from the ice cream man in the converted Mini - Bodie shouted the refreshments order as he got out of The Capri (reg: OWC 827W), and by the time he got to the window the man had already prepared the three strawberry cones and was handing them over ! 60p all in they cost :shock:
Bodie and Doyle fighting crime with an ice cream - LWT. fair use
Bodie and Doyle fighting crime with an ice cream - LWT. fair use
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Another shot of the same scene - and what's the car between Bodie and the woman ? :-D
Ice creams, get your ice creams here - LWT. Fair use.
Ice creams, get your ice creams here - LWT. Fair use.
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 20:20 I was watching an episode of The Professionals the other day when Bodie and Doyle stopped off for an ice cream. ....

Top quality observation there! Love it! :-D

I note your "interesting link" provided on the French Cars in Films thread and offer up this link which I noticed on the surprisingly interesting Lancaster Insurance website...

‘Anarchy. Acts of terror. Crimes against the public. To combat it, I've got special men. Experts from the army, the police; from every service. These are the professionals’.

Yes a bit of trivia to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of "The Professionals" in 2017

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 20:41 Another shot of the same scene - and what's the car between Bodie and the woman ? :-D

I am going to put forward my guess with a link once again to the wondefully interesting "Content" found down the side of the Lancaster Insurance website

Its only an article entitled "Do you Remember....(the car in Bobins' question)"

It starts
43 years ago, I encountered a car that I genuinely thought belonged in the world of Star Trek or Doctor Who; i.e. the front windows and the door locks were operated at the press of a button.........
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 20:53
I am going to put forward my guess with a link once again to the wondefully interesting "Content" found down the side of the Lancaster Insurance website

Its only an article entitled "Do you Remember....(the car in Bobins' question)"

It starts
43 years ago, I encountered a car that I genuinely thought belonged in the world of Star Trek or Doctor Who; i.e. the front windows and the door locks were operated at the press of a button.........
Regards Neil

I think you might be right there, Sir :-D
NewcastleFalcon

..and on Rocket day one of the most popular Ice lollies has to be Zoom

Zoom was introduced in April/May 1963 as part of the Steve Zodiac Fireball XL5 TV programmes.

It was Lyons Maid first 6d ice lolly. Shaped like a rocket, with lime, lemon and strawberry flavours place in horizontal stripes of colour. Picture cards put in wrappers for first time

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I got a bottle of Brut (not the champagne) for Christmas so I can go to church smelling like the 1970's
Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

doctle wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 22:21 I got a bottle of Brut (not the champagne) for Christmas so I can go to church smelling like the 1970's

Do they still make it or was it a present from someone who had been hoarding stocks from the 70s?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doctle

Post by doctle »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 07:33
doctle wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 22:21 I got a bottle of Brut (not the champagne) for Christmas so I can go to church smelling like the 1970's

Do they still make it or was it a present from someone who had been hoarding stocks from the 70s?

New came from Boots splash on and spray, it smells great same as before. I loved those Henry Cooper ads
Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh! That's a rare survivor...

The ads were great. They really hit the spot as they have remained so memorable... Classics, all of them...

Brut certainly is one of the more palatable and tolerable 'smellies'.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doctle

Post by doctle »

I got David Beckham aftershave a couple of years ago terrible cheap smell it was donated to the charity shop. I bet it cost way more than the Brut. I still like and use old spice aftershave it's been around forever still smells the same. Was there one called English Leather years ago?
Oh buggle
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 07:52....According to WADA virtually everything is :roll: Even asthma inhalers... Mr. Froome take note ;)

I can't imagine anything made by Horlicks can possibly be performance enhancing unless it's to enhance sleep :lol:
Bit late to the party here, but he should already know this. One of the greats, I'm sure you know, was also asthmatic and frequently came under scrutiny for salbutamol... Miguel Indurain, a childhood hero of mine lol (I believe he also had, as a result of his severe asthma I think and the lifelong medication, 5 litre lungs!)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2: