Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

like the 70’s and 80’s Pacers came and went

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

What happened to my rather unfunny quip about American Motors making sweets?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

van ordinaire wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 19:54 What happened to my rather unfunny quip about American Motors making sweets?

Don't recall seeing that one van.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 19:54 What happened to my rather unfunny quip about American Motors making sweets?

That would have been the AMC Pacer?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

K'rect!

Clearly my original missive was another of those that simply disappeared into the ether when "submitted"
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Free "flexi discs" with New Musical Express/Sounds :?:

http://images.45cat.com/alice-cooper-sl ... 1973-2.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 06:15 Free "flexi discs" with New Musical Express/Sounds :?:

Yes, I think I still have one or two in my collection...

They often used to come free with magazines - as floppy discs and CDs did later for computer magazines and classical music on CD did with some magazines - notably Classic FM magazine... I have a few of those CDs from the 90s and they are excellent :) All the best of Classic FM without the adverts! I bought a whole load of them, still shrink-wrapped, from a charity shop...

Another forum I frequent (vintage wireless) has recently aired a topic discussing the following:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... p?t=143373

Woolworth's own-brand 'Embassy Records';

Woolworth's 'Top of the Pops' LPs;

and 'Avenue' records...

The 'Embassy' and 'Top of the Pops' records - the latter of which I used to buy with my pocket money with great keenness because I could afford them - were cover versions of the current top 20 by artists you'd never heard of...

Quality ranged from dreadful to OK...

The scantily-clad young lady on the front of each 'Top of the Pops' LP was always top quality though :D

Sadly, I have none left now but I still have a few 'Avenue' EPs - these were 7" discs played at 33rpm with up to six tracks on them and by original artists too... In some cases the tracks were cut to fit the space on the disc!

Have a look at the vintage wireless link posted above - it makes interesting reading and nostalgic reading if you are pushing 60!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Fascinating fact from a brief delve re Tony Rivers who provided vocals for the Top of the Pops series of albums.

He was the lead voice on the theme to Whatever happened to the Likely Lads which is a classic theme in its own right!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Jan 2018, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 13:13 Fascinating fact from a brief delve re Tony Rivers who provided vocals for the Top of the Pops series of albums.
He was the lead voice on the theme to Whatever happened to the Likely Lads which is a classic theme in its own right!

That indeed is a classic theme from a classic series... Some of the best TV ever in my opinion...

Allegedly, some of the session singers on the Top of the Pops albums were also singers on the original recordings of the songs and often acted as stand-ins for the real artists when their voice was not up to it...

Amazingly it's rumoured that some of the old Top of the Pops albums now fetch serious money from collectors.. I suppose that like me, most threw them away when we could afford the real thing...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Here are the 2 number one albums from 1971 out of the "Top of The Pops" Hallmark Stable.

I feel some of the tunes need to be placed on the PE Jukebox. I'm sure quite a few of the Pickled Egg punters will be able to join in with Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep!
totpv18.jpg
totp v20.jpg
regards neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Jan 2018, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely - Goes well with the 70's cheese I'm enjoying on my MP3 player via 1950s valve amp....

I'm sure the young ladies were more scantily dressed on the later volumes :)

Or that's how my teenage me recalls them...

And I'm sure that helped enormously to sell them to teenage lads; I know it influenced me greatly...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A couple of Avenue Records EPs and a flexi 45 'freebee' from my collection ;)

Those EPs were a good buy at 5/- a pop... Another Avenue record I have was on special offer at Tesco for 15p according to the price tag on it!
Own Work
Own Work
And on a related theme, remember when a stylus change was necessary after playing so many records?

I needed a new one for my radiogram... Good old eBay came up with one... NOS but by no means new... These were old when I worked in the trade... I well remember our rack of replacement stylii hanging on the shop wall...

I bought two of these as they were going for a very good price... Certainly improved the sound of the old 'gram :)
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Now I am sure those who took great care of their records, would meticulously clean them before and maybe even after playing so perhaps never would enjoy a bit of stylus brushing and fluff removal with the accompanying feedback through the speakers :-D

My thoughts turned to "Munchies" today probably haven't bought a packet since 1968 and in those days they would have the name Macintosh on them. I have found it "Quite Interesting" to discover some of the history of the sweet entrepreneurs eg the Fisherman's Friend/Victory V family firms from Lancashire and how they exported across the world.

Well here is one of the characters from Yorkshire, being anything but shy about his toffee, as he expanded his empire to the USA....clearly the Americans couldn't make toffee for toffee......, so thank goodness for the "Toffee King" from Halifax.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Linking with my Bond Bug spot on the Clasics Spotting thread, Six white bond bugs were produced at the Reliant Factory for Rothmans for their promotion of Cambridge Cigarettes

At their events they would give away green shield stamps with promotional packets of their tabs!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5AE73A9C

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can't remember Rothmans Cambridge at all Neil... Only their King Size...

Did they do a Benson and Hedges Oxford to go with it?

And were the packets designed by Pininfarina?
Jim