Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

Post by CitroJim »

No pictures seen here either :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The image links you have used are not valid links or are incomplete. They do not link anywhere (even outside this forum). All you need to do is open the full editor, click the attachments tab and select ‘Add Files’ button. Then browse to the images on your phone or PC, then place them at the appropriate location.

Images stored in you Google account won’t display here unless the appropriate sharing permissions are granted.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Post by dave_xsara »

Photos fixed now.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Just to show new vs old when the axle is off the car, this is the new axle (from IMAxle). Any scratches were probably us turning it over on the floor.
WP_20171228_14_24_09_Pro.jpg
And the old one as removed (upside down compared to above). tomorrows job is to get the lumps of metal the shock absorber and the rubber mounts attach to, before cleaning them up and giving them a coat of hammerite as they will be re-used (Lumps of metal I mean, we have new shocks and mounts).
WP_20171228_14_24_02_Pro.jpg
And (just for good measure), here is the hole it left. A bit more rust than I'd like to see but the mechanic, who's also an MOT tester (for the last 30+ years) isn't concerned. Still, I might ask him if I should clean it up and give it a lick of paint and/or underseal though.
WP_20171228_14_24_27_Pro.jpg
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Didn't look too bad underneath, but now you have access to it, I'd definitely out some underseal on it.

Is that a rebuilt or a refurbished axle you got from them? Reason I ask is that the refurbished item states it is repainted to factory colour which I believe is yellow as per their photos.
Edit: from their website it looks like they sell refurbished in both black and yellow with 2 year warranty.
Rebuilt are 150 and refurbished are 185 with 1yr or 2yr warranty respectively.

It does look very good though. Keep me posted.
Did it have a new centre tube? The more I look at yours the more I think I'll update mine. What state were your bearings in on the old axle?

What all are you intending to reuse or replace i.e. handbrake cables, abs sensors, etc.
miked

Post by miked »

Not sure dave, It's an as new, rebuilt and refurbished axle. I didn't see any colour choices.

For my car, disk brakes, ABS etc. it was the same price as any other option. It was over £150 plus VAT, plus Delivery, which was just over £200. Alternative 2nd hand axle was over £100

My wheels were learning in at the top big time. More on the N/S on mine. I looked at your pictures and you had it worse on the other side.

I think you are looking into this too much. PM and I'll send links to any close up's you need of the old and new.

ABS sensors; I'm hopeful I can get them out. Handbrake cables currently have the callipers still attached and are dangling under the middle of the car. A bit of plumbing (copper pipework) is needed and I think, on my car pipes will need to be replaced back as far as somewhere under the middle of the car. I presume it's heat-soak or something that means the brake pipes are ok in the front half of the car.
miked

Post by miked »

Quick update, only managed a few hours today so the axle isn't ready to go back in just yet. Main problem was that neither wheel bearing wanted to come off. They did in the end but in many pieces. New ones come as a complete unit with what I'd call the 'carrier' and ABS wheel. So a bit more expense but new ones will be shinier and the originals were old.
Good news is we didn't have to get the ABS sensors out. The bit of metal they are attached to needs swapped from old to new axle anyway. That may only be relevant to my car, Mk 2 Xsara with disks as I'm sure I read above they need to be removed.
Current progress is one side built up, ready for new hubs, The other side is ready for a bit of paint on the old parts then build it up.
WP_20171229_15_09_06_Pro.jpg
Last edited by miked on 29 Dec 2017, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

I had read too that the abs sensors needed swapped out. Good to know that they do not need this.

Tidy job, coming along well. What type of paint are you using?
miked

Post by miked »

Black Hammerite, from an old tin. I slopped it on fairly thick. After going over the old part with a pin hammer and a wire brush.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Mike and great news on the ABS sensors :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

https://www.pellonautocentre.com/citroe ... ng-noises/

I thought the rear knocking noise was the mounts? Little odds now as I'm replacing the axle. However we thought it was failed mounts that would cause the knocking noise.
miked

Post by miked »

Seriously? I'm no expert but do not go anyway near them, even if you have a barge-pole in hand.

My car is good to go, after alignment tomorrow. This thread is only about back axles, so this is mine back in.
WP_20171230_14_16_14_Pro.jpg
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

miked wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 20:22 My car is good to go, after alignment tomorrow. This thread is only about back axles, so this is mine back in.

What is the list of new parts you used: back plates, F&R mounts, shocks. Anything else - brake cables?? Did you clean the hubs or are they new too?

Just so I know when I get around to doing it, you disconnected the ABS up at the fuel tank and kept it on at the axle side? Any useful info/tips for me prior to starting this?

By the sounds of it you should have a pretty well sorted car when this is completed.
miked

Post by miked »

Sorry for the late reply. I was struck down with a blood clot (DVT) at New Year. Getting over it now though.

List of parts: Axle, Mounts, Shocks, Back plates and hubs. The hubs/wheel bearings are a complete unit including the abs toothed wheel and hub. Nothing looked wrong with the old ones, but destruction was the only way to remove them.
ABS cables were indeed unplugged up next to the fuel tank tank. Handbrake cables were no issue for me as they were quite new and we actually left the calipers hanging from them.
All the old hydraulic brake pipes though, looked rotten so we plumbed in new lines over the fuel tank and all the way to the front left wheel arch, where the original pipes have a connector.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

miked wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 18:05 Sorry for the late reply. I was struck down with a blood clot (DVT) at New Year. Getting over it now though.

Oh gosh :( Poor you. Hope all is soon very fully resolved... Any ideas on how or why it happened?
Jim