Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

Post by CitroJim »

dave_xsara wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 15:18 Is it standard practice to add a grease nipple or does it matter?

Only matters really if you want the axle to last a long, long time... 205GTi owners like them as they plan on keeping theirs for ever more...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

I'd also ask what make of bearings they fit?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Post by dave_xsara »

Do IM Axles and most of the other refurbishers pack grease into the trailing arm?

Has anyone on here used IM Axles and can recommend them? If so, can they remember if they had any issues with the ABS sensors?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dave_xsara wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 14:43 Do IM Axles and most of the other refurbishers pack grease into the trailing arm?

All of them will as bearing lubrication is essential and grease is the best type for this task...

If they did not the bearings would be destroyed very quickly.

The ends of the axle tube has oil seals fitted to keep the grease in and water out... It is these seals failing that causes the axle to fail.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I got an axle from them, but it was a non abs one. Quick delivery no problems. At the time they did a fitting service also, which had I been closer may well have took up as it wasnt expensive.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Thanks - good to get some feedback on them from someone who has actually used them.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Lighty who posts here occasionally and runs a garage in Derbyshire recommends them - it's where I got the details from.
dave xsara wrote: From their website home page (http://www.imaxle.co.uk/):
Refurbished axles from £185 inc VAT
Axle completely stripped
Sandblasted to remove all rust
New hardened axle shafts fitted
Inside of trailing arm resleeved
Trailing arm bearings replaced
Rubber mounting bushes replaced
Repainted to factory standard colours
Assembled to factory standard
2 Years Unlimited Warranty
Maybe, but you only get the lower part, not the upper cradles which are then bolted to the car via the rubber mountings.

If you're not pressed for time during the change over, then you can try and recover the ABS sensors, but they are notoriously difficult to remove in one piece, so I would just get new ones.
Richard W
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Not having removed (or closely looked at) the ABS sensors before - what is the issue with them during removal?

Is there any difference in the quality of these sensors? I've been looking on the net and they range from £17 (https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/delphi/7014506) [£30 on ebay!] up to £36 for Bosch items (https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1149848)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The sensor is a relatively delicate device made of plastic with maybe a bit of metal. It fits snugly in a hole in the trailing arm - over time water seeps in and causes the arm to rust and expand, gripping the sensor like a vice. If you apply the necessary force to free it, the sensor often just disintegrates. That's after you've got past the bolt of course, which is made of chocolate and will be well rusty!!
Richard W
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

What's the lifespan of a 2.0HDI 90?

I've got 180,000 on the car and have recently replaced the timing belt and front suspension (struts, STM & springs). New tyres all round too for the MOT. ECU was replaced at around 120k due to electrical heating melting the connectors into the unit.
Clutch was replaced at 90k, but is now biting high.

I should also say that the car is still on its original rear axle bearings. I'm trying to figure out if it is a worthwhile fix. I've got axle mounts for it as there is a lot of banging and clattering from it going over ramps, bumps, potholes etc. So that needs done as a minimum.
It has had a rough early life towing heavy trailers (livestock, etc) on an irregular basis.

Are there any big bills or service points coming up that I should be aware of?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There is a joke about the strength of the HDi eight valve engines. Somebody chucked a hand grenade into the engine bay of one. It rolled out from underneath waving a white flag saying "It's no use, Guv. That is just too strong for me".

Put it this way. When the HDi engines came out taxi drivers started using vehicles thus equipped, and they will not willingly use unreliable vehicles (as when it is off the road they are not earning). My Mk1 C5 estate had over 180,000 miles when I got her, and her previous owner was an airport run taxi driver. He had (according to the paperwork) done over 100,000 miles, and only had to replace her due to the age limitation constraints.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

I'm normally a lurker but have watched this thread with interest.

My Xsara, which I bought new in 2003 (110 HDi 120K miles now) started creaking at the back end about 3 years ago, so I prepared myself and looked into an axle swap. But it just didn't get any worse, and for the last 6 months has been completely quiet? I don't have any camber on the back wheels that I can tell, so I've just left it well alone. If it does give up, £150 + ABS sensors + a day for a garage to swap it doesn't seem like the end of the world, but I have to admit it is probably more than I could sell the car for.
I did give it a hard time when I bought it, towing a trailer + AX GT to autograss events.

The engine is fine, a bit rough recently when warming up at -10 degrees but I assume glow plugs. The only issue I ever had was a fuel pump leak at about 70K when it needed a timing belt anyway. Picked one up on eBay for about £80. No problem fitting it myself. Oh, and the bottom pulley was knackered so I changed that at the same time. My parents have a relatively low mileage 2001 HDi 90 from new and they have had an even better experience, I think an alternator was the only thing they have changed, apart from the usual.

That's obviously not mentioning Batteries, brakes, exhausts etc which do have a short life.

Oh, and my clutch gave up as I was leaving for work this morning. No prior symptoms but I think the bearing has gone through the plate. I haven't got the space to tackle that myself now but luckily I've got a friendly old-school mechanic 100 yards away who is going to fix it for a fair price.

Anyway, don't want to get off topic. I lurk because when I start typing I ramble on.

To answer your question about the lifespan: Can I ask if it has any rust or rot? I think I know the answer already. If you weigh up the cost of new/different car depreciation and unknowns (ie. overcomplicated emission systems, electrics etc.) versus keeping what you know on the road it's a no-brainer. That's just my opinion but I don't see any reason why my car won't live a good few years yet.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The HDi engine is known to be good for somewhere north of 350K.. Our Paul (citroenxm) of this parish can testify/confirm that and give many more details of one he owned and still maintains...

Such mileages are not unusual...
Jim

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

There is a bit of rust around the battery, but my mechanic said it can be fixed if necessary and that there is no structural rust on the car.
I'm a bit like you Miked - I'm just weighing up the pro's and cons of the axle switch.

Would it improve handling etc?

My only concern is that if the axle fails 2 years down the line what have I gained. I either replace it now and have total fresh suspension all round, or replace the mounts and turn up the radio and scrap it when it collapses. With the risk being that the axle fails sooner rather than later.
Last edited by dave_xsara on 14 Dec 2017, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

dave_xsara wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 16:16 What's the lifespan of a 2.0HDI 90?

Mine is on over 220,000 and there is a forum member who runs taxis who retired one at 440,000 miles, nothing wrong with it other than the interior being a bit shabby. Used for spares for the rest of his fleet.