Small Projects....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Small Projects....

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My dad spent almost all his working life at 'The Wolseley'. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Well, all I can say is that they made a great mower in The Wolseley Clearway :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 14:59 As a wild guess, was your mower a Briggs and Stratton engined one, and the problem was the diaphragm in the pulsa-jet carb had aged ?

No, although I know the Briggs and Stratton problems well... I've had lots of lawn mower experience in the past...

My sack trucks were made from bits of a scrap Victa mower which, if memory serves, was an Aussie brand... If again, I recall correctly, the body of the mower was made of cast aluminium and if it cracked/broke due to a large rock or some other damaging item it was almost impossible to repair...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This weekend's project... installing a door in the kitchen. For various reasons we wanted a sliding pocket door - but first you've got to create the pocket, so down came the stud work and in went the new door. Also wanted to modify the electrics so that we had switching for the kitchen lights from the hall (rather than as at present where a trip across the dark kitchen was required!) and make both the lights in the hall on one circuit with 2-way switching. Plus, as it's a fire break, adding a heat detector in the kitchen, and replacing the smoke detector in the hall, and linking all together with the detector at the far side of the house.

Door, ready to box up the second side, with the careful tie back of cabling - there's not much room so the cable had to be well restrained to stop it fouling the door.
IMAG4866.jpg
Which meant that at 10.00 on Sat morning, the end of the kitchen looked like this as the cable was pulled....
IMAG4864_BURST002_COVER.jpg
By yesterday evening it looks like we are getting there....
IMAG4868.jpg
Still some way to go with finishing off.

Oh, and it's best to be REALLY sure that the wire you about to cut, is, in fact, as dead as you think it is :shock: Fortunately the RCD did its job and it was no more than a small fizz. No idea why the wire is live - it was not connected to anything in the light switch (and I thought I had confirmed it dead with a circuit tester). Now terminates in a JB with LIVE written on it large!!

I've got a sack truck similar to PUG XUD's - the support frame for the wheels was not strong enough for any reasonable load so I welded in a bit of square tube at each side to support it. Much better!
Richard W
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

that's one heck of a weekend project, RichardW !

Hoping my sack truck's wheel support is a tad sturdier than yours, has coped with a complete XUD in the past (shape of it didn't foul wheels), but will do likewise if necessary :)
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 13:55 Hoping my sack truck's wheel support is a tad sturdier than yours, has coped with a complete XUD in the past

My lawn-mower sack truck has had plenty of use ferrying 4HP20 gearboxes around and they are heavy enough... Yours must be really sturdy to cope with an XUD :)

Richard, you're a braver man than me!!! That is indeed a heck of a project and good work. I like the idea of a pocketed sliding door. I could make great use of them in my house...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The kitchen door would be favourite for that treatment, Jim. The trick is to make sure nothing can get into the pocket unexpectedly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 15:09 The kitchen door would be favourite for that treatment, Jim. The trick is to make sure nothing can get into the pocket unexpectedly.

Like big hairy spiders. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 15:15
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 15:09 The kitchen door would be favourite for that treatment, Jim. The trick is to make sure nothing can get into the pocket unexpectedly.

Or a pet hamster (as it will not like having the door closed on it)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 15:22
Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 15:15

Or a pet hamster (as it will not like having the door closed on it)!

I immediately thought hamsters too James :) Comes of previous experience with hamsters on the loose in a kitchen :lol:
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

RichardW wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 12:40 Oh, and it's best to be REALLY sure that the wire you about to cut, is, in fact, as dead as you think it is :shock: Fortunately the RCD did its job and it was no more than a small fizz. No idea why the wire is live - it was not connected to anything in the light switch (and I thought I had confirmed it dead with a circuit tester). Now terminates in a JB with LIVE written on it large!!

Possibly it isn't live.
RCD will panic and cut off if you touch the neutral to the Earth after you turn off the power.
Thats because the Breaker only acts on the Live so when you cut the cable some current will be detected on the Neutral which freaks out the RCD because it doesn't see the same current on the matching Live.
When you say a small fizz did you'r cutters get a little hole blown in them? If they did it's definitely not what I said and you have a weird live wire.