Diesel Car Ban

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Diesel Car Ban

Post by elma »

It is indeed, not something I condone
I'll address this very soon, it's been like that since I moved in.

Your son's bathroom light is down to a misinterpretation of the regs. Bathrooms and lighting are the 2 areas that are updated the most. A lot of guys believe (incorrectly) that the entire bathroom including the lighting must be on a separate circuit. Actually it doesn't apply to the lighting but there are specific rules about the protection used on it. I've forgotten them which is why I'm not posting them.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Yes, all house wiring here is radial, not ring.
Cable is also stranded (flexible) single core - some distinct advantages over UK solid.
Connection colours are EU standard.
Socket outlets are Schuko, but always separate: eg a double or triple outlet needs wiring to each socket separately, but the clamp-down screw terminals all allow two 2.5mm2 cables each.
Schuko switched sockets seem almost unknown outside Germany, I think.
Schuko sockets are wired L,N,E, but can often be found inverted, so L and N often function reversed.
Chop-block (connector strip) is extensively used.

This sort of thing, and much else - including socket outlets in bathrooms (but never near a shower) - is 'allowed', because all properties have ELCBs/RCCDs/RCDs/Diff.Breakers.

House construction and cable routing is something else, though...
In UK, cables usually leave sockets and switches either horizontally or vertically. Not so here. Sometimes by shortest route!

I have seen new houses being built, where, in a lounge for example, flexi conduit is run from one side of the room to the other, across the initial concrete floor, linking all the sockets etc together. The result, in a well-provided house, is 8 or 10cm of black plastic spaghetti all over the floor. When complete, the whole lot is just flooded with concrete and then tiled! That, together with generally solid walls, makes extra wiring and troubleshooting quite a challenge.

Electricians here must be qualified. They are, but they frequently employ monkeys to do the donkey-work of house installations. The finished work must be signed off and a "bolletin" issued, before the electricity company will connect their supply. Guess who signs the bolletin? The monkey's boss. Good, init? #-o
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 08:51 they'll even hard wire hairdriers and put them next to the basins :shock:

We have hard-wired hair driers in the wet changing areas of our local swimming pool...

Maybe hard-wiring is acceptable in such areas...
elma wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 09:01 Over here nothing electrical can go within arm's reach of the basin.
Including purpose-made shaver sockets? I ask as I've seen loads of them well within reach of a basin; especially in hotel rooms...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 13:41
elma wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 09:01 Over here nothing electrical can go within arm's reach of the basin.
Including purpose-made shaver sockets? I ask as I've seen loads of them well within reach of a basin; especially in hotel rooms...

Shaver sockets can, but I believe they must be able to be easily (double pole) isolated from outside the bathroom. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give chapter, verse, punctuation, edition number, review number, etc, etc...... shortly :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 13:47
CitroJim wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 13:41

Shaver sockets can, but I believe they must be able to be easily (double pole) isolated from outside the bathroom. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give chapter, verse, punctuation, edition number, review number, etc, etc...... shortly :-D

James will be reading the 18th Regs as we speak ;) I could have done a few days ago when I had a copy of the regs sitting on my desk...

It's a good, if a little dry, read...

Back in 16th Regs days I had a job of re-writing significant parts of them into a language that could easily be understood and digested by our in-house electricians - they invariably struggled with the regs in their raw form...

My document was very popular and I still have a copy of it somewhere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Shaver sockets have an inbuilt isolating transformer so are not earthed or directly connected to the mains supply.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 13:54 Shaver sockets have an inbuilt isolating transformer so are not earthed or directly connected to the mains supply.

Ahh, so it's a proper isolating transformer then Steve :) I always had a notion it was just an auto-transformer in there for the 110/220v dual supply... Thinking though, an isolating transformer makes a lot more sense...

I ask as I want to put one in my bathroom for my toothbrush but it's impossible to locate it the regulation distance from the basin or bath...
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yeah it was the 16th I did.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Isn't it time this thread was manhandled over to the 'off topic lounge' ? As it's getting quite long, if four of us grab a corner each and all lift at the same time, we should be able to move it - brute force and ignorance in spades :rofl2: Unfortunately, I've got a dodgy arm at the moment so I volunteer to be the bloke in the hi-vis with a clipboard. Jim can run the welfare and refreshments caravan for this exercise - tea and flapjacks all round :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Dismantle it and carry it one post at a time - away you go :twisted:
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I can't guarantee to reassemble it in the correct order when I get there though. It might end up an even more surreal and wandering thread by the time I've finished with it :lol:
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Its OK bobins I have a Haynes manual. :rofl2:
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Yeah, but if it's any more than a 'two spanners' rating, then who knows what this thread will end up looking like :-D
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Its OK there's lots of pictures. :lol:
Dave
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

What language are they in ? I'd hate to mess it up due to confusion during translation :)