Diesel Car Ban

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

xsaras4ever
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Peugeot 205 TD
Citroen Jumper 2.5D
Peugeot 406 Estate 2.0 Hdi
Citroen Saxo Ph2 1.1
Audi A3 1.9D
Pembleton 3 Wheeler
1959 Kelsey GT
1957 Fordson Power Major Tractor
1964 Nuffield 4/60 Tractor
1967 Nuffield 10/60 Tractor
1963 Allis Chalmers ED40 Tractor
1984 JCB 3CX

Diesel Car Ban

Post by xsaras4ever »

Anyone fancy a rant ?????

In the proposals to ban diesel cars by 2040 or some other year ----- do trucks feature in this ------- bet not.

When you consider the number of trucks on the road, the distances they cover and the cc of their engines - surely when you do the maths you find that they produce more pollution than cars ????
Jumper 2.5d
406 Phase 2 Estate, Hdi
Fiat 500 (2009)
1997 Audi A3 tdi
Peugeot 205 td
Fordson Major Tractor
Nuffield 460 tractor
JCB 3cx
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Diesel Car Ban

Post by EDC5 »

All new trucks I see have a big 'Adblue' tank alongside the diesel tank, I'm guesing they have a FAP too, so I don't see the problem, is there still a lot of pollution being made even with Adblue and the FAP ?
xsaras4ever
(Donor 2016)
Citroen Jumper 2.5D
Citroen Saxo Ph2 1.1
Audi A3 1.9D
Pembleton 3 Wheeler
1959 Kelsey GT
1984 JCB 3CX

Post by xsaras4ever »

Hello - have to admit that we don't know.
But our point is that moves are afoot to ban the sale of new diesel and petrol cars by 2040, and our question is "what about trucks".
Does a 7 litre diesel truck produce 7 times more pollution than a 1 litre car if both are fitted with the same "green" technology ?
Jumper 2.5d
406 Phase 2 Estate, Hdi
Fiat 500 (2009)
1997 Audi A3 tdi
Peugeot 205 td
Fordson Major Tractor
Nuffield 460 tractor
JCB 3cx
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Probably a lot more than that when you consider it's pulling between 20 and 45 tonnes.
They do rev lower than cars but they don't even do 10mpg.
Split the 25 tonne load into 25 vans or 50 cars and compare though and I think the lorry looks like an environmentally sound option.
All the big manufacturers are into electric and hybrid lorries, MAN were showing off a very futuristic one way before Ecars became fashionable.

Ships are even worse than lorries, you should see what they burn and how much of it.
Then there are planes which put their particulates quite high up in the atmosphere.

Ultimately the Oil age is starting to decline and the lots going to have to go.
I'm not sure it'll be managed in my lifetime though because the Lithium age will do just as much damage.
Research harvesting and refining Lithium, it's shocking.
We really could do with a reliable but ecologically pleasant battery technology before we ditch the engine, that or scalextric track roads.
xsaras4ever
(Donor 2016)
Citroen Jumper 2.5D
Citroen Saxo Ph2 1.1
Audi A3 1.9D
Pembleton 3 Wheeler
1959 Kelsey GT
1984 JCB 3CX

Post by xsaras4ever »

Absolutely correct about finding better technology..

Our son worked down under in New Caledonia for 3 months maintaining vehicles in a nickel mine.

One of the CAT machines ran out of diesel. They drove the 4x4 out to it and put 20 litres of diesel in because they couldn't tow the fuel bowser through the mud. The CAT machine started, turned around 180degrees on its tracks - moved about 10 metres and ran out of fuel again.
BTW: there is a hole in the ozone layer - guess where - above New Caledonia.....

We are certainly not against trying to be as green as possible but surely the rules should be applied fairly and not hit the usual soft target of the private motorist ?
Jumper 2.5d
406 Phase 2 Estate, Hdi
Fiat 500 (2009)
1997 Audi A3 tdi
Peugeot 205 td
Fordson Major Tractor
Nuffield 460 tractor
JCB 3cx
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

There's not really any profit left in haulage anymore, they've already taken multiple hits. Our preferred haulage company say they operate at a loss because there's always someone willing to break a few rules more than them and hence charge less. They reckon they make their money converting artics to flatbeds but keep the firm rolling in the hope of better times and because they don't want to lay off their drivers.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Yes, the private motorist is likely to be hit hardest (restricted and then charged/taxed if necessary) while companies and businesses are largely being bribed to change. But mostly in relation to 26 identified UK pollution blackspots where the government has continually failed to meet imposed legal limits and only after they were taken to the High Courts in order to force them to act. (This plan will of course change as IMO, it's just kicking the can down the road).

There is no way in the foreseeable I can see any country with a security complex giving up such transportable, high-energy-density fuels. In fact, we're fighting wars for it.

On the note of plant machinery, has anyone noticed the sheer amount being used at the Waterloo Station platform-lengthening works? Bet the local pollution monitors have!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a lot of official muttering about dumping diesel trucks in favour of electric ones and you may have seen that the Post Office is introducing electric vans as of now.
Electric trucks and busses would make a lot more sense and have a huge impact on pollution levels.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just cannot see why it is necessary to have huge diesel generators operating on urban construction sites! I suspect it's just sheer laziness: easier to order up a few generators than have the public supply run in. A local authority tax of say £20,000 a day might make the site managers think twice. But maybe not, if they're just passing the costs of all this down the line. :(
Chris
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

How often do we hear, on forums like this, of guys moaning and whinging of the deplorable range of the electric car. The best is the Tesla at a reported 335 miles, but boy does it cost :!: but the average range is c100 - 125 miles - and that's pulling a car weighing no more than a ton and half. A standard unladen unit and trailer will weigh in at c17t and must be capable of pulling 44t and the range must be an absolute minimum of 200 miles with the ability to recharge sufficiently to get back. Don't get me wrong, electric is coming, but it's a long way off for haulage.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Meanwhile the electrification of the West Coast line beyond Swansea has been abandoned so the 120 GWR electric trains on order from Hitachi will have to be fitted with diesel engines as well the the electric units, so more mass to haul about and 2x maintenance and all the savings and environmental benefits of electric trains are lost.

Now here a thought, maybe put HV wires over all our motorways and have pantographs on cars, better still like the dodgems at the fair a wire mesh overhead on all main roads, and one below so cars draw current from a pole and earth through a little metal strap underneath - your basic model family car can be single pole and sporty ones double pole, just like those sporty twin exhaust pipes. You can drive for miles.

Range is not the only problem, its the recharge time and the space needed for all those stations so you don't have to queue for a day or two. I was thinking about this earlier today. I have been driving for 42 years, often high mileage in some of the jobs I had. Let's say 1 fill up per week on average, probably more but lets stick with one. 2184 fill ups. Each taking 10 minutes. That's a full month of waking hours spent in a filling station. Now let's think about electric cars, half the range but let's generously assume you can get half your power at home when you are asleep, so that still leaves you with 2184 charges away from home, each taking 3 hours on the current fast charge technology. That would be 18 months of waking hours spent in some awful service area waiting and drinking nasty coffee before I can get on my way. If you extrapolate that to the whole population of drivers and passengers its a significant waste of human life.

If you were an actuary you might be able to calculate the life shortening effect of pollution and compare it with the life wasting effect of waiting for your car to charge up - I wonder which would be higher?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

electric by 2040?! Nonsense. I know the goverment say so, but do you believe em?!

And as for Electric being clean, what a load of BS that is with the nuclear waste from power stations going in the bin; various of which have been recently shut down.

I hear that the National Grid couldn't possibly cope with electric cars, if everyone plugged in at 6pm it'd just go into meltdown

... and don't berate the lorries, much of what you buy will have arrived on one.... if our National Railways were any cop at all there'd be a lot less freight, and you'd never see Loco's on the back of Low Loaders coz it makes better sense to shift em by road (madness!)

...and while I'm having a rant, why is the taxpayer still subsidising private railway companies; if they can't make it pay it ain't the taxpayer's problem. Turn railway tracks into roads if they can't get it together.

Grrr, electric indeed. Poppycock!

Energy to move something will always require energy, what's your pollutant of choice?
Puxa
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Has anyone thought of a mass LPG or even LNG revolution? It is such a clean burning fuel compared to the heavier petrol and diesel and requires a small change to both the consumer and doesn't require the mining of anywhere with a hint of lithium!

Also, I think the electrification of the railways debate is a red herring, an electric train is not inherently faster than a diesel. The time for electrification has been and gone in this country. In addition, the awful looking railway catenary and all the other visual pollution caused by overhead power lines on top of the vast cost for no concrete gain in railway performance puts me off to be honest. A new generation of super-fast diesels would be the best option in my opinion.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I had cause to talk to a young police lady recently (no I wasn't being nicked! :-D ). She mentioned that West Midlands Police are using Nissan Leafs ( Leaves?) to do local running about, when the driver finishes with them they are to be left on charge. Usually they haven't been put on charge or they've been plugged in but not had the charger switched on so they sit in the station yard while everyone runs round in petrol cars. On the occasions she used them she was impressed and said they were nippy but limited on miles.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

EDC5 wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 22:28 Has anyone thought of a mass LPG or even LNG revolution? It is such a clean burning fuel compared to the heavier petrol and diesel and requires a small change to both the consumer and doesn't require the mining of anywhere with a hint of lithium!

Now that's an excellent thought.. Gas for traction purposes can be made out of many raw materials - including waste... Many landfill sites use the gas so generated by the rubbish to generate electricity...

Waste is a massive issue and such schemes would help matters enormously...

As would generating electricity from the heat produced by incinerating waste...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...