Radio Traffic Reports.

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

BGC 1947
My Cars: Citroen C4 PICASSO PUERTECH+VTR 2015

Radio Traffic Reports.

Post by BGC 1947 »

Hi! I have a 2015 Citroen C4 Picasso puertech+ VTR. I have a problem receiving traffic announcements in our local area ,West Sussex I get BBC Berks witch is over 50 miles away , and random station around the country but not all , Citroen's answer is some units have no solution , trying to find out is this only my unit with this problem ore are other owners having the same issues. Thanks for any help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Radio Traffic Reports.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Post or PM your VIN so I know what head unit you have installed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is the RDS for the local station working OK?

I ask as the RDS on BBC 3CR on 104.5MHz in the Milton Keynes area has been duff for weeks now...

RDS and the TA Flags are essential for the service to work...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's why I was curious as to the Head Unit fitted Jim. As you will no doubt know, the BBC charter currently prevents it from providing TMC (Traffic Message Channel) services, but as far as TA Traffic - Announcements go, BGC 1947, try re-tuning the radio stations then re-save them to memory - that can sometimes fix the issue.

Marc
BGC 1947

Post by BGC 1947 »

Thanks for help , VIN = VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Update today from Citroen, this is a product definition of the unit.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok. so you have the SMEG Touchscreen system, but without Navigation. Assuming you have set the system up as per the manual below, I can only suggest it is the radio signal as Jim suggested.
SMEG TA.PNG

Marc
BGC 1947

Post by BGC 1947 »

Thank you for that, have had a call today from BBC Sussex to say their signal strength is very good , from hear I get BBC Berks witch is well over 50 miles away , it starts very weak and gets stronger as I get closer , asked the question to BBC Sussex is your signal the same as Berks it is . Appreciate your help.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Sorry to be late in on this.

I have similar issues with SMEG on my early (pre facelift) 2016 version. Tried everything, including saving stations and using FM instead of DAB. it will occasionally pick up TA on commercial stations (Heart mainly) but flatly refuses to get any BBC TAs anywhere in UK. The C3 and the C1 (which has a primeval nothing fancy radio) both work fine round here so signal good enough. I believe its something to do with the way BBC TA beacons work and the Citroen SMEG doesn't. You only find this out after a few weeks of ownership and trying stuff out.

So its not just you, it's a rubbish Citroen implementation of RDS/TA reception in the UK. Been to France and Belgium recently and its erratic/hopeless there as well.

I have a satnav - you aren't missing much, the £100 Garmin we use in the C3 works far better and does proper traffic alerts - on the Pic you need to press 2 on screen buttons to see them or set it to alert new messages in which case they pop up every 10 seconds repeatedly rendering the rest of the screen unusable for long periods. The garmin shows me the 20 limit though my tiny village, the Pic only shows speed limits on major roads - the A40 Westway and the North Circular aren't major enough it seems.

Rant over. If you do get it to work with BBC TAs please do post again here, maybe there is a magic trick I am missing.

(rather jealous of your Puretech, and the fact you have a VTR+ not burdened with the mappy stuff. I got a pre owned Excl+ Blue Hdi at a good price so not unhappy but nowhere near as happy as I could be if it all worked properly.)

There is a big french forum: http://www.planete-citroen.com. I'm no good at searching and not confident enough to post. It has a Picasso II sub forum and a SMEG sub forum. You might find something, I haven't. If you use Google Chrome you can just right click and "translate to english" - you get enough to understand. (you might of course be fluent in French, in which case you don't need the last bit)
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini