Retrofitting Flappy Paddles to a C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Retrofitting Flappy Paddles to a C5

Post by EDC5 »

I've always been a bit jealous of the EGS6 equipped C5's that have flappy paddles.

Is it possible to replace the standard "switching block remote control" as Citroen so eloquently put it with the one from a C5 with flappy paddles?

These are the items in question.. It looks as if the paddles themselves are separate to the base unit so maybe the entire unit doesn't need replacing?

Of course this all depends on how the signal to shift gear is sent to the gearbox. From my investigations with Diagbox it seems like all the normal gear stick does (when in manual mode) is send a CAN command so presumably these paddles also send the same command?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C4-PI ... SwHnFVjTV5

I'm tempted to buy a pair here and see if they work out of the box..... what could possibly go wrong :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Retrofitting Flappy Paddles to a C5

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would suggest a big not on that one Ellis. These controls are designed for the manual gearbox control system - and different to the fully auto system you have. The software will no doubt be designed to work with the specific ECUs for the EGS gearbox and clutch actuator systems and not the AM6.

You've already got it easy with an auto, lucky so and so - what about a nose scratcher while you're at it? :-D

EDIT:
Just confirmed that the Steering Wheel gearbox switches do go directly to the Piloted Manual Gearbox ECU on the STOP START models.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Thanks for checking that one regarding the wiring, If the paddle switches were wired back to the BSI then it might be possible, but if it's back to the gearbox ecu then obviously not.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 00:04

You've already got it easy with an auto, lucky so and so - what about a nose scratcher while you're at it? :-D

That would be lovely :lol: , was it yet another option that my car came without?

Yeah I must say that I don't regret getting the auto at all. I did my research beforehand and would only get an auto of the torque-converter type, especially after a test drive in a 308 EGS which felt like the clutch was being controlled by a drunk in addition to the revs shooting up when it decided to change gear.

I probably wouldn’t have got an auto if it wasn’t for the reputation of clutches / DMF failure and frankly the poor feedback from the gearstick that seems to plague PSA cars. I thought that the odds of a costly repair were equal for a auto or a manual with a Citroen :oops:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That was my thinking exactly when I was looking for my car - unfortunately, it took me ages to find the one with the specification I wanted and it just happened not to be an auto. If I had delayed I may have still been waiting! :roll:

I've had one gearbox refurbished on one of my Auto XMs and that at the time was a grand - clutch packs had gone so wouldn't drive at all. Got it done in Swansea. I have to say it never seemed right after that - the gear shift was a bit stiff and the gearbok a little harsh when going into drive. Not long after though, I had a write off accident with somone driving across the road in front of me - and I ended driving straight into the brick wall of the church.

Oh, well, could of been worse but would of saved me the cost of a hearse!

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 10:36 Oh, well, could of been worse but would of saved me the cost of a hearse!

Sorry for your misfortune, both with the automatic recon and the crash.. .but that line made me :rofl2:

How was the church after taking an XM? :P

Yeah, worst case scenario I'd buy a new box....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-5008- ... SwHHFY~11H

£550 for a box from a 25k mile model....
GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 10:36
Unfortunately, it took me ages to find the one with the specification I wanted and it just happened not to be an auto. If I had delayed I may have still been waiting! :roll:
Yeah, my ideal c5 would be the 3.0 HDi with 19" Adriatique alloys and the high res sat nav... but those are incredibly rare in low mileage form.

I'll be honest, I bought the first C5 I saw because it had everything I wanted, Auto, Hydractive and Exclusive trim in addition to [relatively] low mileage. But I must admit to being jealous of your light coloured interior and Sat-Nav radio... It's a disgrace that the Exclusive's didn't at least come with a colour screen in the middle :oops:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D
If I'd seen a 2.7 or 3.0 I probably would of had that also - then wept at the tax and insurance :shock:

I agree the actual standard audio head units on the X7 in general don't look up to much at all - their appearance is very basic and disappointing. When you compare the design of the rest of the car, the audio unit seems a step back to the 70s - I mean all that's missing is a Cassette slot!

The only thing with the Carlos Fandango 19" Adriatique wheels is that you also need Hydropneumatic cushions on the seats - a bit like this: watch the kid in white at the end :-D

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Yep, there are loads of 407 coupes 2.7 HDI that are effectively worthless due to their £500 per year car tax... it's just madness!

I agree... the exclusives should have come with something a bit better than the radio from a berlingo van.....

True, no amount of hydractive goodness will make 19" wheels with low profile tyres comfortable unfortunately.... pretty to look at though.

Out of interest, the very latest sat-navs fitted to the C5's were fully self contained, as in the screen unit was the headunit. is that the case?

looks like a pretty nice upgrade 8-)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's a SMEG unit (touchscreen) and can't be retro-fitted to earlier X7s (possibly pre 2013 -14 models) as it's a different CAN BUS system AFAIK. There is a similar issue with RNEG2 (RT6) units, that look the same but were made for the newer electronic architecture on later C5s.

Marc
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

EDC5 wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 11:07

Yeah, my ideal c5 would be the 3.0 HDi with 19" Adriatique alloys and the high res sat nav... but those are incredibly rare in low mileage form.

I'll be honest, I bought the first C5 I saw because it had everything I wanted, Auto, Hydractive and Exclusive trim in addition to [relatively] low mileage. But I must admit to being jealous of your light coloured interior and Sat-Nav radio... It's a disgrace that the Exclusive's didn't at least come with a colour screen in the middle :oops:

I think i own your dream car :-D 3.0 V6 HDI Exclusive, light/cream interior, with Satnav and 19" Alloys . I'm on 89,000 miles.
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 16.48.21.png
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Let's all have a drool while you're at it!

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Quackers wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 16:50
EDC5 wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 11:07

I think i own your dream car :-D 3.0 V6 HDI Exclusive, light/cream interior, with Satnav and 19" Alloys . I'm on 89,000 miles.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 16.48.21.png

Truly beautiful :drool: .... I forgot to mention the only other thing I wanted on my dream C5 is dual exhausts.... check :lol:
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Here's V6 diesel with flappy padels retrofitted:
Sergio89
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 2007, 2.0 HDi 136cv, Exclusive automatic, 127.000km
ex. C5 2003, 2.2 HDi 133cv, Elegance manual, 213.000km

Post by Sergio89 »

Hi i'm new to this forum and I thought i'd share my attempt at fitting the flappy padles on my C5 mk1 restyling.
It's actually easier than it may seem.

Of the 6 wires on the connector at the base of gear stick 2wires controll the PARK lock mechanism the other 4 are:
12V
LINE1
LINE2
GND
(I don't remember the color of the wires, i'll check and update)

LINE1 and LINE2 have a simple logic to controll DRIVE/MANUAL and gear changes like this:
(LINE1 - HIGH,LINE2 - HIGH) gearbox in DRIVE
(LINE1 - LOW,LINE2 - LOW) gearbox in MANUAL
(LINE1 - HIGH,LINE2 - LOW) shift UP
(LINE1 - LOW,LINE2 - HIGH) shift DOWN

Basicaly when the lever is in MANUAL position the LINEs are being pulled low and the switches on the padles need to pull either LINE1 or LINE2 HIGH to shift up or down.

LOW level neds to be below 2Volts
HIGH level neds to be above 3.3Volts

voltage on LINE1 and LINE2 should not go higher than 5Volts as it might damage the gearbox ECU.
PXL_20210130_194751988.jpg
PXL_20210130_194704658.jpg
PXL_20210130_194624194.jpg
PXL_20210130_194545861.jpg
stefanstef2882
My Cars: Peugeot 407 estate - 2.0hdi
Peugeot 407 coupe - 2.7hdi

Post by stefanstef2882 »

Hi ,
I want to retrofit a paddle shifter kit on a 2.7hdi with AM6 gearbox. How did you wire the peddals ? (I can't find a wiring diagram for the gear selector)
Thanks
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

I've got some more pressing issues with the hydraulics on our C5 X7 which has the 3.0HDi engine and AM6 gearbox, however, once my feet are clear of the hydraulics, I'm planning on doing this conversion on our car using a pair of paddles from a berlingo automatic, part number 96561270ZD. These dont electrically plug into the stalks like the ones in the OP, but instead have a flylead with 3 wires in it, one common and two switched outputs, one from each switch. My plan graft the paddles onto the column then splice an extension into the paddles "loom" and run the extension behind the dash to a position where it can be wired in parallel to the up down siwtches actuated by rocking the stick back and forward in manual position. I'll post pictures to this thread when I do it.