Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by CitroJim »

Van, I'll give Lidl another go then...

My first foray into one was down in Hampshire when I was on holiday and the experience was not good... I shall try our local one even though it's difficult for me to get to. I'll report back ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would advise that on Sundays and Thursdays both Aldi and Lidl are likely to be crowded, as these are the start days for the special offers.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There have been a couple of references to in store baked bread and while I agree it's very good that only applies to the day you buy it, if you try to eat it the following day it's like chewing leather.

I buy a single bread roll from Lidl on Tuesdays when I take my old neighbour to do her shopping, thick with butter and cheese for Tuesday tea, lovely, keep it until Wednesday and it's a damned good job I've still got my own teeth. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I bake my own bread... I have for many years now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 07:36 I would advise that on Sundays and Thursdays both Aldi and Lidl are likely to be crowded, as these are the start days for the special offers.

Strange James - those are the times I shop as they are the quietest around here.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Went to Lidl in MK today... The one nearest to me.

It's good, very good :D Complements Aldi a treat...

Stock and choice good, fruit and veg good and service at the checkout excellent...

I averted my eyes from all the specials...

Tesco and Waitrose will rarely see me now...

Saving money hand over fist :)
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It's amazing how much you can save at Lidl over somewhere even like Asda, Jim, let alone the more "fancy" supermarkets, and in most cases the quality is just as good, sometimes better on specific items. I reckon sometimes our shopping runs are a bit over half the price they would have been at Asda.... as long as I avoid the specials isle. :twisted:

Unfortunately I spotted a nice looking bench vice for £20 in their specials isle yesterday... :oops: :rofl2:

My only complaint is the checkouts in our local one usually only have one isle open unless its really busy, and then close the second isle as soon as the the number of people waiting drops a bit. So actually getting through the checkout can be slow compared to the self serve in Asda, so for that reason we don't tend to use Lidl if we only need a couple of items and save it for the bigger regular shopping trips where the price saving really adds up.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, shop at Lidl and Aldi and live like a king for peanuts :)

Ours seems to open only a few checkouts Simon but by golly do they shift the customers through!

You really need to be on the ball when packing to keep up with them... And not having any coupons or loyalty cards seem to speed the process no end...
Mandrake wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:19 Unfortunately I spotted a nice looking bench vice for £20 in their specials isle yesterday... :oops: :rofl2:

Hence why I avert my eyes in the specials isles as I know I'd spend a lot more than my budget :twisted:

There's some tempting stuff though. I noticed a good-looking ratchet in Lidl this morning...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 15:42 You really need to be on the ball when packing to keep up with them... And not having any coupons or loyalty cards seem to speed the process no end...

They always have been like that and you soon get used to it and wonder what they are dithering about at in competing supermarkets.

It isn't true anymore but a few years back my neighbours used to shop there - and she worked in ASDA - and he used to say that no matter what you bought it was always £15 at the checkout - this was before the days of the barcode scanners in Lidl and Aldi.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 16:22 It isn't true anymore but a few years back my neighbours used to shop there - and she worked in ASDA - and he used to say that no matter what you bought it was always £15 at the checkout - this was before the days of the barcode scanners in Lidl and Aldi.

I can believe that Steve! My bill for every visit so far in both has been for £20 plus or minus a few pence...

It has just about staggered me what £20 will buy in Aldi and Lidl :)

By comparison, we spent more than that in Pret a Manger when the girls and I met up for a lunchtime coffee on Monday... Three drinks and three small snacks (hardly lunches) came to well north of £20 :shock:

Costa and Starbucks are equally as expensive...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 16:29 It has just about staggered me what £20 will buy in Aldi and Lidl :)
It is remarkable. At ASDA a trolley full would typically cost us £40-£60, in Lidl that same full trolley (not necessarily the exact same items though) is more like £20-£25. On a month where things have got tight due to unexpected circumstances, (like this month will probably be - major blocked drain issues and a puncture requiring new tyres!) it can be the difference between eating well and having somewhat bare cupboards...
By comparison, we spent more than that in Pret a Manger when the girls and I met up for a lunchtime coffee on Monday... Three drinks and three small snacks (hardly lunches) came to well north of £20 :shock:

Costa and Starbucks are equally as expensive...

Don't get me started on how ridiculously expensive coffee shops are, :twisted: I don't drink coffee, and nor do I frequent coffee shops out of choice but I am occasionally taken there by work colleges and the cost of just buying a cup of coffee (or in my case tea) is out of this world... [-X
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Digital verniers in Lidl this week for a tenner.... I'll be off to see if I can get one over the weekend :)

There's a big Lidl in Whitburn, Simon, they have an extra large specials isle.... :shock: :lol:

Oh, and if you need a frame welding up mount your new vice let me know - you know how sometimes a stubborn ball joint needs a lot of torque to get it undone :rofl2: My vice is bolted down to a frame under the bench I welded up out of 40mm or so angle iron - spreads the load nicely and prevents it pulling out of the bench when you get busy with the big breaker bar :twisted:
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm lucky if I manage £60-80 :( (more than once a week)!

I am rather indiscriminate though and will chuck all sorts of stuff in the trolley, more often than not forgetting the things I originally went for :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Lidl's checkout girls tell me that they're instructed (bullied) to push the products through as fast as possible, if a customer complains the are told they should put the stuff back in the trolley and go to the shelf provided opposite to pack it into their bags.

Has anyone done a like for like buy at say Tesco and Lidl to see how much truth there is in the low price image?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not a like-for-like but I do occasionally visit a huge Tesco in Consett and always spend 30-50% more.
It has always been the case that you chuck the goods back in the trolley and pack it at the counter provided for just that and most people are aware of it.
Not a problem and keeps the checkouts moving quickly.