Notices..what have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Notices..what have you spotted?

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 17:25 Peter, I'll likely investigate travel to/from these places via public transport if that's at all possible and make an adventure of it...

I quite enjoy a train journey although it's a long time since I've been on one of any substance now... Not since 2010 if memory serves...

If you can get to London Victoria, Jim, then you can get to the Amberley Chalkpits museum as it's a direct service. The entrance to the museum is about 100 yards from Amberley station. You'll need all day there :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Neil

I believe I've seen that video where he was talking about acquiring exhibits and he was overrun with them and had to get lots of storage, there seems to have been a lot of voluntary work done there. It's certainly a wonderful place and the admission cost is not out of the way, I believe it's subsidised. We got in free this year as our ticket from last year hadn't run out, they last a year.

Jim

I haven't been on a coach since I was a kid but I believe they have toilets now. 8-) From what I have heard and seen the are quite luxurious now, got to be better than the one I travelled on, I think it had a petrol engine! I'm sure that would be a good mode of travel for you.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 18:48 If you can get to London Victoria, Jim, then you can get to the Amberley Chalkpits museum as it's a direct service. The entrance to the museum is about 100 yards from Amberley station. You'll need all day there :)

That's worth a thought Bobins! Thanks for that :)

Walking is no issue... I'm a marathon runner ;)

So distance from a station is no issue at all :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Amberley Chalk Pits Museum is a stunning place - even includes a radio shack (sorry, collection) and a ham iirc.
Lovely location, tucked under the South Downs, not far from Bury Hill (don't take your bike!).
You'd love it.
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know that one, will have to investigate.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 07:34 Amberley Chalk Pits Museum is a stunning place - even includes a radio shack (sorry, collection) and a ham iirc.
Lovely location, tucked under the South Downs, not far from Bury Hill (don't take your bike!).
You'd love it.

Your comments on it and a quick look at their website have made my visit a definite Chris :D

And a great place to take my bike one of these days too ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 17:25 Peter, I'll likely investigate travel to/from these places via public transport if that's at all possible and make an adventure of it...

I quite enjoy a train journey although it's a long time since I've been on one of any substance now... Not since 2010 if memory serves...

A coach is a possibility maybe but I've never been on one in my life, not for that sort of trip anyway...

All this talk of Beamish is really making me keen to visit it... Thanks both Peter and Neil :D

Try this for size Jim. :)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coach ... ws_rd=ssl
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 10:12

A coach is a possibility maybe but I've never been on one in my life, not for that sort of trip anyway...

All this talk of Beamish is really making me keen to visit it... Thanks both Peter and Neil :D

Try this for size Jim. :)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coach ... ws_rd=ssl

Sadly, nothing from Milton Keynes Gibbo :(
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 10:12
Your comments on it and a quick look at their website have made my visit a definite Chris :D

And a great place to take my bike one of these days too ;)

You'd likely get squished into the blacktop if you cycled up Bury Hill on the other side of the valley to Amberley - it's not a particularly cyclist friendly road, especially on a weekend. However, another mile or two to the west along country lanes is Bignor Hill, with its impressively steep road up to it. It's a dead end road but has got stunning 360 degree views and a hilltop radio site up there :-D
From there you could then cycle downhill and ride The Double Entendre Way - collecting photos of the village signs to put up on POTD :-D Cocking, Titty Hill, Balls Cross, Scotland Knob, Lickfold, Didling, and others are all within easy reach :lol:
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Someone knows his Sussex!! I lived and worked in Billingshurst for years, along with Bucks Green, Horsham and briefly Hurstpierpoint. Almost bought Baynards Station at one point (complete with two platforms, stationmaster's house and engine shed) - another story.
Remember Bignor Hill, and Chanctonbury (when there were still tall trees there), and the delightful run down towards Petworth, Duncton, Singleton, Goodwood, and into Chichester.
A lovely county.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I like the sound of all those lovely hills :)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was in Sussex recently. We interred the ashes of my Great Aunt Sylvia (who was also my improper Godmother, taking on the role when her husband Jim (my Great Uncle and proper Godfather) died). You can see the windmills Jack and Jill from her place of rest, near Pyecombe;
Attachments
Own work
Own work
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 17 Aug 2017, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:09 Someone knows his Sussex!! I lived and worked in Billingshurst for years,
Born and bred in Sussex ! I attended numerous courses at the college just down the road from you :)
Remember Bignor Hill, and Chanctonbury (when there were still tall trees there), and the delightful run down towards Petworth, Duncton, Singleton, Goodwood, and into Chichester.
A lovely county.

Petworth, Duncton, Singleton, Goodwood and home is on my usual cobweb removal motorbike ride. :-D Unfortunately, the Duncton section is regularly one of the most dangerous roads in the country :? Jim'd love the uphill stretch - just one straight relentless incline up the side of the South Downs :wink: Then a pleasant ride along to Goodwood, get an ice cream at The Trundle, push the bike to the top by the other hilltop radio site there, admire the views - including the Isle of Wight looking a lot closer than it has any right to be, then continue on his way :)
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

bobins wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 13:41 Born and bred in Sussex ! I attended numerous courses at the college just down the road from you :)

That must have been Brinsbury. I was a head of department at The Weald from '71 to '88, with numerous visits to schools and colleges around the county, and at County Hall in Chichester. Never tired of the drive there or back.
And where I drove my first big Citroen, a CX Familiale.
Small world! :)

What was the British film that ended with the villains being apprehended at the Jack & Jill windmills? I think the plot involved two children...
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 16:43
That must have been Brinsbury. I was a head of department at The Weald from '71 to '88, with numerous visits to schools and colleges around the county, and at County Hall in Chichester. Never tired of the drive there or back.
And where I drove my first big Citroen, a CX Familiale.
Small world! :)
Our paths might just have crossed then !!

What was the British film that ended with the villains being apprehended at the Jack & Jill windmills? I think the plot involved two children...

The Black Windmill :)