C5 RD4 upgrade options bewilderment

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: C5 RD4 upgrade options bewilderment

Post by EDC5 »

MikeT wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 17:19 I've been exploring the Diagbox/Lexia maze of menu's and came across a list of "ECU's Present" which raised an eyebrow or two.

Audio CD Changer. I'm pretty sure I don't have one and it's not configured in other menu's that I know of.
Hands Free Kit. Again, I'm confident a Global Test always says NO to Dialogue and ? to Faults

And off-topic but also during that session I came across

"Main Supplies" list that stated Engine Operating Status - Coupe.

In the BSI configuration I found

Type of fuel filler cap presence detection - Missing which is odd because I have a fully functioning additive ECU with no faults and regenerations occur on average every 500+km.

plus a number of other oddities I'll save for another day.

Yeah, there are a few settings on my car that are amiss but don't seem to cause too much bother. For some reason whenever try and change my BSi setting from RD4 to RD45 it wont have it... always says config failed. but everything seems to work OK so I'm not too worried :wink:
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Yeah, none seem to be a concern, just a curiosity.

Don't ask me how I got there, but I entered one audio-related menu and it gave me two (green bar) options to select

Installation

Uninstallation

Needless to say, I backed out at that point
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

MikeT wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 17:32
Needless to say, I backed out at that point

I've had a few of those moments with my Lexia exploration.... the lack of an "undo" option is quite disconcerting at times :oops:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yep, when you're acutely aware you're in or near to something that may ruin your day and the only option is to go forward and "Validate" with no way out other than to force close Lexia or even restart windows.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Always back out (backspace key).
That menu is for uninstalling the head unit. Which should be done before installing another unit.

I can't emphasise enough to be very careful of what you do. I have had others brick their cars because they changed something and could not remember what they did.

Remember you do not have the ability to download software to the ECUs and a change in one place will often impact other systems.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I believe it's the servicing plan that you were looking at in your other post Mike. Mine was incorrectly set by the dealer after a service when my countdown to service indicator was 12,500 miles instead of 20,000 as they had the wrong interval for my car! I had them set it back (before I had my Lexia) to what it should be. I want to be the one to determine my servicing intervals, not the garage!

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Backspace key!! Magic tip, thanks Marc! Too often a force-close isn't enough and restarting an atom netbook is soooo slow.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So looking at the documents for your car, there were only the 2 systems available for the facelifted MKII, the Standard RD4 and the RT3 that I mentioned earlier Mike.
There is the CD-Changer option - and these are pretty easy to retrofit, which can be mounted under the front passenger seat. There is a small connecting wire to the back of the unit. These units are system-specific depending on RPO and the part number for your RPO is: 9647427980

They are cheap enough at about £30 - here are a few listings on the bay of evil:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 0&_sacat=0

You may already have the connecting wire under the seat, otherwise it is part 6560 XR.
Again ditto with the mounting bracket.

As has been said elsewhere, there are some independent units like Yatour, than can make use of the CD-Changer connection to connect a box with an SD card Slot / USB or even Bluetooth - depending on the model you want. This can be tucked away in the glovebox - stick all your MP3s on an SD card or USB and you're back into tunes heaven. This one's about £53:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YATOUR-Digital ... B005V756ZG

This one for a bit more, has the same as the above but with an additional Bluetooth hands free kit.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Blueto ... 7HAF22RGH9

With these units, it allows you to forgo the CD-Changer (no loss if not fitted) and add MP3 / bluetooth streaming from a phone, whilst maintaining factory fit head unit and all the functionality.

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

The RT3 I saw in google images are black and oddly shaped. Is there one would match mine, like this?
Citroen_RD4.jpg
Again, I really don't need the bigger screen or any telematics (what is that anyway?) but would appreciate BT hands-free for obvious reasons as I never use my phone when driving and it's a PITA having to stop to see who called.

That CD changer looks very similar to the in the Xantia I got rid of!
Then again, without MP3 ability it gets old real fast.
And my car has a storage box fitted under the passenger seat though I think there's a bracket and unconnected plug under the driver's seat (I'll double check later).

Again with the 3rd-party boxes, they're a sort of halfway house and a bit pricey and kinda limited, imo. and the glovebox (or any spare space) is pretty much used in my car :rofl2:

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your extended effort but I'm really hankering after a simple swap upgrade if not too pricey.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Mike, have a look at the audio and Telematic section of the forum, you will see a picture of the actual RT3 unit that we are talking about for this car. This is like your model but obviously has far more buttons etc with the telephone controls and the Sim card slot.

Again, Mike, your options are a bit limited here, as later Citroen /Peugeot audio head units are not compatible in all cases with all the older cars. Although your car is can-can, the architecture in terms of the wiring are not compatible with the newer systems. This is why they are not an option in the configuration section in Diagbox.

In short, putting a complete RT3 system in will require the larger screen , plus some additional wiring, microphone and some other bits and pieces or it will not work. That's why I provided some other solutions that others have used as a compromise because of this restriction. Again you have to remember when these cars were on the drawing board back years before they came to production, the technology was nowhere near what it is today as I'm sure you appreciate. The added problem with these type of units in your car and mine when I had it, was that they also control some other functions of the car, and if these were to be replaced with an aftermarket unit you could lose some functionality at the end of the day.

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Went to the subforum and saw a pic of what looks like my RD4, sweet! :-D
RT3.JPG
Where does the larger screen go?

Yeah, I get the fact large manufacturers like to try and keep their s**t legacy, but it irks me noentheless.

Hell, before I got into the Xantia's (about when this C5 car was made) I had simple ISO/DIN standard radio with mp3 and other accessible inputs with a BT hands-free standalone box, clipped to the sun visor, complete with programmable contact display and voice command for less than a packet of woodbines and bag o chips! :rofl2:

So what's the chance I'll get the exact model of RT3 I want/need plus the matching extras for an affordable price?

And I'm not sure, even after getting all that sorted, the next time economy mode kicks in halfway through something I want to listen to, I won't do a classic Basil Fawlty and give the car a damn good thrashing!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed!
So here is the RT3 Head Unit - Looks similar to the RD4 but isn't and another showing alongside the display:
RT3HeadUnitC5MKII.png
RT3TMCombo.png
This is the RT3 System in the Dash of the C5 MK II also showing the larger colour screen on the Dash:
C5-MKII-RT3-and-Screen.png
And finally the RD4:
C5-MK-II-RD4.png
Prices: Well I've seen the screen alone from £150 used, and one Head Unit so far from 2004 going for £80 with a few broken plastic parts. Microphone, harnesses - Aux connector..... add that.
I've also just seen a Peugeot dealer offering the CD Changer, bracket and cable for a mere £324! :shock:

What does the RT3 give you?
MP3 - Yes, but only via the MP3 CD Player in the Head Unit - so you'll have to make and copy your MP3s to a CD-R.
USB - No
Bluetooth - No
DVD - No
Internal Telephone - Yes via SIM Card only, so will need to divert incoming calls to your mobile phone to the car phone ( I used a simple speed dial to divert and undivert quite easily)
Aux In - Yes, via RSA Audio / Visual connectors in the glovebox
Voice Commands - Yes, although he / she can sound like they are 3 parts to the wind
Navigation - Yes (Maps still available from 'Here', formerly Navteq)
Emergency call (SOS) - Yes
Parking Assistance Audio / Visual on screen - Yes if system fitted.
Display - shows climate control, outside temp and other settings, handles text messages and phone calls.
What else - oh, some fancy colours for the screens.

So not ideal by today's standards, but an option. The guide I linked to earlier details the conversion process and the kit needed if you are feeling adventurous at a later date :-D

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Tempting as all the additional functions are, the pricing alone is putting me off.

And I have to admit, I don't trust myself to cleanly remove so much facia let alone get it back together as originally fitted. It's a bit scary.
But assuming I could, what's the implications of economy mode on such a capable system? The more features, the more you'd want to use it engine off, surely?
I gave up trying to fully program my simple radio due to the imposed power cuts. What with that and the occasional battery disconnect/BSI reset defaults it's not looking so tempting now :lol:
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

It's a shame they don't do a RD45 in the shape of your RD4 (or the RT3) unit as it appears to have the features you are missing :(
kamz58
My Cars: 2007 C5 2.0 Auto

Post by kamz58 »

Hi All,

So after years of driving Japanese and German cars and never even considering a French car, I finally decided to try a 2007 Citroen C5 2.0 diesel Automatic estate as I was in the market for a family car with a nice comfortable drive and suitable for long distances.
I have to admit, I am super impressed. The suspension, the engine, and the gearbox are very much to my liking and I am loving the nice and smooth drive on the motorway. My car apparently doesn't have a DPF(or whatever the Citroen equivalent is) so I am considering it a good thing :) The car doesn't have any electrical or mechanical faults and has been serviced regularly so I am hoping it will serve me well.

I am looking to add a Xcarlink Bluetooth/AUX interface to my car and after reading this informative forum, I found out that I will have to enable the CD changer slot at the back of the RD4 unit as my car doesnt have a CD changer installed.
I took my car for service to my local garage Cleaver Cars in Reading and I asked them if they could enable it. They couldn't enable it as apparently the car isn't giving them the option to do that and they recommended that I should contact a Citroen dealer.
I called Citroen Wokingham and they are absolutely clueless about all this and dont know what to do do.

Can anyone please recommend a place in Southeast from where I can get the slot/port enabled and install a bluetooth interface as I dont want to buy a Diagbox etc as I think its too complicated.

Thanks