Zel's Fleet Blog - BX, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D & 230TE, AC Model 70.
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Finally got two minutes to sit down in front of an actual computer, so can provide a (pretty brief - by my standards anyway!) update...
So, firstly let's show what other than weird old military portable computers I picked up at the DDRC car boot sale...
Firstly a pair of these... For the simple reason that I'd always wanted one, especially when I was growing up and saw them in catalogues - was nowhere close to being able to afford one though! This one's in pretty good shape under all the dust and should clean up like new. I've not done any detailed testing yet, but aside from the obvious new belt being needed for the tape deck, it picks up (a lot!) of radio stations properly, and responds to things in the surrounding area on the TV, but I've not had the opportunity to feed it a signal yet. The second one is basically intended as a parts donor if necessary though to be honest I fully expect it to be in identically functional a condition.
Next up was this thing - which I zoomed in on (pun entirely intended) from halfway across the field. I'd been after one of the old floppy disc based Sony Mavica cameras for a long while now. The last few I'd tried to get via eBay kept going for stupid money in the last few minutes, and the one I did win at a sensible price never turned up. Have had a bit of a play around with it, and while the resolution is obviously low by today's standards (1.3MP), the image quality is actually quite reasonable. Thinking back to the resolution that film tended to get scanned into a computer in back in 2000 when this thing dates from, it actually makes a pretty good case for being a perfectly usable camera. I'll probably take it out to one of the regular meetups I go to down in London or something just for a laugh and to see how it really works in the real world.
The Saab was started up today and moved over to the position in front of the garage. While this is *vastly* reduced from the smoke screen when I first arrived after the head gasket let go - it's obvious that something's not right here... ...The fact that it's running on three out of four cylinders is also a bit of a giveaway. In the time it took me to reverse it out of the driveway and shuffle across to the other side, the water does now appear to have found its way into the oil system unfortunately.
I'd like to seek some advice here. Would it be best to drain the contaminated oil from the system immediately, run the engine (sans coolant obviously) briefly to circulate it and expel the contaminated stuff from the various bearings etc and then wait till the gasket is changed, or is it likely to be okay to just wait until I can get the head sorted out - likely to be a month or two given my usual pace. I'm tending towards just get it out of the engine as soon as possible myself.
The 107 is now off commuting duty, so has been pretty much sharing daily driver duties lately with the Lada. I mentioned a couple of days ago that I'd picked up a heads up display for it off Amazon - primarily as an easy way to get a coolant temperature gauge as not having one of those *really* makes me uneasy. If this link works - This should be the one I purchased over here... though there are a number of different styles out there. It just sits on the dash and plugs straight into the OBD connector (down by your left knee in the 107). It can be pretty much entirely hidden from direct view from the driver's seat behind the rev counter. I have to admit that I was sceptical about how well it would work...but it actually does surprisingly well. It was a really bright sunny day when I got it, and it would probably benefit from me cleaning the inside of the windscreen, but even so it was plainly readable - if a little washed out. I've not tried the little slightly tinted/silvered sheet they give you with it to attach to the screen yet. I might try that once I've cleaned it. It is *really* hard to get a decent photo of the display in action though... The image really doesn't appear like it's an obvious reflection...it does just kind of float there like some hugely futuristic hologram or something. It's nice to have the speedo up there as well, especially as it seems to be a lot more accurate than the one on the dash which is at least in the case of my one is really quite optimistic. Also nice just when you're in a built up area being able to glance at the speed without actually having to take your eyes off the road...which is the whole idea I guess.
Now however on to the over-complicated, heavy, olive-drab bit of electronics I've been swearing at for the last couple of days.
Given my total weakness for any oddball bit of computer hardware, there was no way that I was going to be able to walk past this thing without buying it. Here's a bit more identity information... ...and the little elapsed time indicator...Note the mesh screen over the display (similarly the main display)...and under the keys on the keyboard etc...they weren't kidding around with the EMI shielding on this thing. Initially I couldn't get it to do anything much aside from beep at me in a highly annoyed fashion. I knew there was an intermittent display problem, do tried plugging in an external monitor - and sure enough, it was complaining about a flat BIOS battery, and thought it was 1988. Punching in sensible details there resulted in - despite a rather sick sounding hard drive - it proceeding to boot...straight to a screen stating it was the Ptarmigan Universal Terminal Menu. Not only did it have a drive in it, it appeared not to have been wiped. Bit of an oops there surely...Quitting to DOS and poking around revealed it to also have Windows 3.11 installed, and a couple of radio specific applications which wanted to talk to external bits of hardware and meant nothing to me. To be fair, I've not the foggiest idea whether this is the original drive (though it is the right capacity), or whether it's been reinstalled by a previous owner etc!
I was still curious to find out what hardware was in the box other than what I could see from the POST screen and via the BIOS, so stuck another drive in...at which point the display magically came to life - albeit briefly. Suffice to say, Ubuntu didn't manage to make it as far as a desktop with only 60Mb of memory to play with, but it had a good try! It also meant that I could get some hardware specs too... It was about this point that it started refusing outright to boot, or even POST. So I started taking it to bits. This was *quite* a long-winded process given the measures they've gone to to make this thing EMI-proof - which I later found out was indeed because it's designed to deal with the TEMPEST regs...so basically the thing is indeed for all intents and purposes, EMP-proof I believe! I knew the PSU looked to be struggling a bit, but even when fed from a known good external supply with everything save for the built in VGA connector hooked up, it would still only POST 1 time in 20.
After three evenings of work, I finally managed to extract the motherboard - which appears to be an off-the-shelf multi-purpose PC board with a tonne of I/O options etc...annoyingly, it is devoid of a model number, and trying to figure this thing out without a datasheet is likely to be a challenge! To be honest though, I'm not really *too* worried about whether I can get the original board up and running. While it's an interesting machine, a 466MHz PIII isn't *massively* useful...especially if it's going to be highly unstable. So I've started poking around...It looks from how things hook up to the motherboard that the keyboard is essentially "talking" PS/2 most likely so could be adapted...and after removing another 3756495742009 screws, I managed to get into the display, which again appeared to be an off-the-shelf item - one which did have a visible model number thankfully! Not only did it have a visible model number...about the third Google hit on searching for that was a datasheet - including useful stuff like this pinout! (Which I hastily scribbled down on the back of the display itself for future reference).
My current plan for this thing...if I can't get the original board to behave properly, in which case I'd reassemble it as a proper working early 2000s time-capsule...is to stick something like a Raspberry Pi in there, using the existing display, keyboard and trackball. That way I've got a working portable machine that's both capable of doing something useful, and being a wonderfully eccentric conversation starter.
Yes, I know I'm a bit mad...but hey...I also drive a Lada so we all knew that!
So, firstly let's show what other than weird old military portable computers I picked up at the DDRC car boot sale...
Firstly a pair of these... For the simple reason that I'd always wanted one, especially when I was growing up and saw them in catalogues - was nowhere close to being able to afford one though! This one's in pretty good shape under all the dust and should clean up like new. I've not done any detailed testing yet, but aside from the obvious new belt being needed for the tape deck, it picks up (a lot!) of radio stations properly, and responds to things in the surrounding area on the TV, but I've not had the opportunity to feed it a signal yet. The second one is basically intended as a parts donor if necessary though to be honest I fully expect it to be in identically functional a condition.
Next up was this thing - which I zoomed in on (pun entirely intended) from halfway across the field. I'd been after one of the old floppy disc based Sony Mavica cameras for a long while now. The last few I'd tried to get via eBay kept going for stupid money in the last few minutes, and the one I did win at a sensible price never turned up. Have had a bit of a play around with it, and while the resolution is obviously low by today's standards (1.3MP), the image quality is actually quite reasonable. Thinking back to the resolution that film tended to get scanned into a computer in back in 2000 when this thing dates from, it actually makes a pretty good case for being a perfectly usable camera. I'll probably take it out to one of the regular meetups I go to down in London or something just for a laugh and to see how it really works in the real world.
The Saab was started up today and moved over to the position in front of the garage. While this is *vastly* reduced from the smoke screen when I first arrived after the head gasket let go - it's obvious that something's not right here... ...The fact that it's running on three out of four cylinders is also a bit of a giveaway. In the time it took me to reverse it out of the driveway and shuffle across to the other side, the water does now appear to have found its way into the oil system unfortunately.
I'd like to seek some advice here. Would it be best to drain the contaminated oil from the system immediately, run the engine (sans coolant obviously) briefly to circulate it and expel the contaminated stuff from the various bearings etc and then wait till the gasket is changed, or is it likely to be okay to just wait until I can get the head sorted out - likely to be a month or two given my usual pace. I'm tending towards just get it out of the engine as soon as possible myself.
The 107 is now off commuting duty, so has been pretty much sharing daily driver duties lately with the Lada. I mentioned a couple of days ago that I'd picked up a heads up display for it off Amazon - primarily as an easy way to get a coolant temperature gauge as not having one of those *really* makes me uneasy. If this link works - This should be the one I purchased over here... though there are a number of different styles out there. It just sits on the dash and plugs straight into the OBD connector (down by your left knee in the 107). It can be pretty much entirely hidden from direct view from the driver's seat behind the rev counter. I have to admit that I was sceptical about how well it would work...but it actually does surprisingly well. It was a really bright sunny day when I got it, and it would probably benefit from me cleaning the inside of the windscreen, but even so it was plainly readable - if a little washed out. I've not tried the little slightly tinted/silvered sheet they give you with it to attach to the screen yet. I might try that once I've cleaned it. It is *really* hard to get a decent photo of the display in action though... The image really doesn't appear like it's an obvious reflection...it does just kind of float there like some hugely futuristic hologram or something. It's nice to have the speedo up there as well, especially as it seems to be a lot more accurate than the one on the dash which is at least in the case of my one is really quite optimistic. Also nice just when you're in a built up area being able to glance at the speed without actually having to take your eyes off the road...which is the whole idea I guess.
Now however on to the over-complicated, heavy, olive-drab bit of electronics I've been swearing at for the last couple of days.
Given my total weakness for any oddball bit of computer hardware, there was no way that I was going to be able to walk past this thing without buying it. Here's a bit more identity information... ...and the little elapsed time indicator...Note the mesh screen over the display (similarly the main display)...and under the keys on the keyboard etc...they weren't kidding around with the EMI shielding on this thing. Initially I couldn't get it to do anything much aside from beep at me in a highly annoyed fashion. I knew there was an intermittent display problem, do tried plugging in an external monitor - and sure enough, it was complaining about a flat BIOS battery, and thought it was 1988. Punching in sensible details there resulted in - despite a rather sick sounding hard drive - it proceeding to boot...straight to a screen stating it was the Ptarmigan Universal Terminal Menu. Not only did it have a drive in it, it appeared not to have been wiped. Bit of an oops there surely...Quitting to DOS and poking around revealed it to also have Windows 3.11 installed, and a couple of radio specific applications which wanted to talk to external bits of hardware and meant nothing to me. To be fair, I've not the foggiest idea whether this is the original drive (though it is the right capacity), or whether it's been reinstalled by a previous owner etc!
I was still curious to find out what hardware was in the box other than what I could see from the POST screen and via the BIOS, so stuck another drive in...at which point the display magically came to life - albeit briefly. Suffice to say, Ubuntu didn't manage to make it as far as a desktop with only 60Mb of memory to play with, but it had a good try! It also meant that I could get some hardware specs too... It was about this point that it started refusing outright to boot, or even POST. So I started taking it to bits. This was *quite* a long-winded process given the measures they've gone to to make this thing EMI-proof - which I later found out was indeed because it's designed to deal with the TEMPEST regs...so basically the thing is indeed for all intents and purposes, EMP-proof I believe! I knew the PSU looked to be struggling a bit, but even when fed from a known good external supply with everything save for the built in VGA connector hooked up, it would still only POST 1 time in 20.
After three evenings of work, I finally managed to extract the motherboard - which appears to be an off-the-shelf multi-purpose PC board with a tonne of I/O options etc...annoyingly, it is devoid of a model number, and trying to figure this thing out without a datasheet is likely to be a challenge! To be honest though, I'm not really *too* worried about whether I can get the original board up and running. While it's an interesting machine, a 466MHz PIII isn't *massively* useful...especially if it's going to be highly unstable. So I've started poking around...It looks from how things hook up to the motherboard that the keyboard is essentially "talking" PS/2 most likely so could be adapted...and after removing another 3756495742009 screws, I managed to get into the display, which again appeared to be an off-the-shelf item - one which did have a visible model number thankfully! Not only did it have a visible model number...about the third Google hit on searching for that was a datasheet - including useful stuff like this pinout! (Which I hastily scribbled down on the back of the display itself for future reference).
My current plan for this thing...if I can't get the original board to behave properly, in which case I'd reassemble it as a proper working early 2000s time-capsule...is to stick something like a Raspberry Pi in there, using the existing display, keyboard and trackball. That way I've got a working portable machine that's both capable of doing something useful, and being a wonderfully eccentric conversation starter.
Yes, I know I'm a bit mad...but hey...I also drive a Lada so we all knew that!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
I've not fully read through the post yet, but re the coolant in oil I would most definitely drain it out & run some fresh oil through the bearings before putting it away. I've heard (although not experienced) coolant formulas doing bad things to bearing materials when either left sitting in or continued running with it present in the oil.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8386
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
ekjdm14 wrote:I would most definitely drain it out & run some fresh oil through the bearings before putting it away.
100% agreed...
Zel, a bit of fun you are having with that PC
Should be good for running Windows 3.1
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Thanks for confirming my thoughts, will get it drained off and flushed this afternoon. One less thing to worry about then. Will drain the coolant first and slip the belts off so I don't wreck the water pump.
Doing a bit more digging it seems that HDMI to 20-pin LVDS converters do exist, so getting video to the display from another device should be doable.
Biggest hurdle for the current hardware is figuring out why it's not happy...though all initial testing seems to simply come back to "something's amiss with the motherboard" but it's hard to say beyond that. Quite possibly why the thing got dumped in the first place.
Doing a bit more digging it seems that HDMI to 20-pin LVDS converters do exist, so getting video to the display from another device should be doable.
Biggest hurdle for the current hardware is figuring out why it's not happy...though all initial testing seems to simply come back to "something's amiss with the motherboard" but it's hard to say beyond that. Quite possibly why the thing got dumped in the first place.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8386
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
I guess it's not a very standard motherboard Zel?
Could you graft in a different and perhaps more powerful one that may allow it to run a modem Linux distro?
Could you graft in a different and perhaps more powerful one that may allow it to run a modem Linux distro?
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Why do my cars never do anything by halves?
Three litres into draining the sump and I've found some oil...
Three litres into draining the sump and I've found some oil...
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
RichardW
- Forum Treasurer
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
- x 1487
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Vindicates draining it....!
Richard W
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8386
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Zelandeth wrote:Why do my cars never do anything by halves?
Three litres into draining the sump and I've found some oil...
She blew her top in fine style!
Absolutely does!RichardW wrote:Vindicates draining it....!
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Well when I checked yesterday there was just a smear on the dipstick - overnight it's managed to drain the entire contents of the cooling system into the sump. I got about a pint out of the bottom of the radiator!
Stuck enough oil in to get it to read on the dipstick and ran for a couple of minutes, may well drain that off and do the same again...
...once I've cooled down. It's way too warm for me out there today.
Stuck enough oil in to get it to read on the dipstick and ran for a couple of minutes, may well drain that off and do the same again...
...once I've cooled down. It's way too warm for me out there today.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Way too hot out, yes. I had a go at stripping some bits off the dead engine earlier (as it's sat in the shade, so a job I thought wouldn't be as bad) and oh boy, I need air-conditioning in my shorts & shoes! 
That's a hell of a lot of water to drain into the oil through a head gasket! It's either, as Jim says, blown it's top in style or there's something nasty waiting round the corner on this one... Not being familiar with the SAAB engine, does this have wet liners?
Got my fingers crossed that the residual pressure just managed to syphon off the majority of the coolant into the oil when the engine was stopped, leaving said pint in the rad. But personally I would want to tear into it as soon as possible to check that it is indeed the gasket that failed & not a shifted liner or cracked block.
As I say, I'm not familiar with this engine or car so the design may mean the majority of the coolant escaping to the sump is more likely on a HG failure but sounds a lot of coolant to me. Whatever the cause I'm glad you got it drained quickly, and I think a second flush though like you're planning would be a very sensible move given how wet it must have been in there!
That's a hell of a lot of water to drain into the oil through a head gasket! It's either, as Jim says, blown it's top in style or there's something nasty waiting round the corner on this one... Not being familiar with the SAAB engine, does this have wet liners?
Got my fingers crossed that the residual pressure just managed to syphon off the majority of the coolant into the oil when the engine was stopped, leaving said pint in the rad. But personally I would want to tear into it as soon as possible to check that it is indeed the gasket that failed & not a shifted liner or cracked block.
As I say, I'm not familiar with this engine or car so the design may mean the majority of the coolant escaping to the sump is more likely on a HG failure but sounds a lot of coolant to me. Whatever the cause I'm glad you got it drained quickly, and I think a second flush though like you're planning would be a very sensible move given how wet it must have been in there!
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Thing is if it was a major crack in the head or block, I'd have expected a dramatic display out the expansion tank when I started it up today, but not a thing... we'll find out as soon as I can arrange it anyhow.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
demag
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 1441
- Joined: 18 Oct 2004, 05:03
- x 102
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Its been a bit cooler here today. More cloud and a pleasant breeze. Yesterday I got the drivers seat out to check for the airbag fault. I was drained after a couple of hours and felt ill. Its not the heat its the humidity that does it for me. Today was our pensioner's special day at the pub then from there we spent a couple of pleasant hours in a local vineyard and craft centre.
Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Zelandeth wrote:Thing is if it was a major crack in the head or block, I'd have expected a dramatic display out the expansion tank when I started it up today, but not a thing... we'll find out as soon as I can arrange it anyhow.
That is true, like I say it may just have been residual pressure caused it to syphon out. Main thing is the coolant is nowhere near the bearings anymore so it can sit & wait without danger now
Strange that it's only the right hand end of the engine that appears to have suffered at all, it was the right hand & middle cam bearings that were chewed too. The bearing shells are noticeably worse at the gearbox end & get better as they head towards the middle of the engine. Makes me wonder what exactly the heck has gone on. Oil pump pickup looked clean, will have to dissect the filter and see if that offers any clues.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5308
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1596
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Many things I should be doing right now...
...however it's 27C in the shade in this house right now, so forget any of that happening!
Off back into the bedroom to hide next to the air conditioner for a bit longer I think!
The weather has proven however that the injection conversion has indeed resolved the issues with the Lada being a royal pain to start when hot. Also does so without coughing into life in a cloud of black smoke as well which is nice...used to be downright embarrassing sometimes.
...however it's 27C in the shade in this house right now, so forget any of that happening!
Off back into the bedroom to hide next to the air conditioner for a bit longer I think!
The weather has proven however that the injection conversion has indeed resolved the issues with the Lada being a royal pain to start when hot. Also does so without coughing into life in a cloud of black smoke as well which is nice...used to be downright embarrassing sometimes.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5
Haha, carb set up for Russian weather conditions not sub-tropical post global-warming England... Or maybe it was just in need of a good tune...
Was far too hot yesterday, spent most of it inactive hiding in the bedroom too. Was bright sunshine today too until about 10min ago when it quickly clouded over and I fancy I heard a rumble or two of thunder... Would be nice to have it clear the air a bit. (oh yes, definitely thunder... rain is here now too )
Was far too hot yesterday, spent most of it inactive hiding in the bedroom too. Was bright sunshine today too until about 10min ago when it quickly clouded over and I fancy I heard a rumble or two of thunder... Would be nice to have it clear the air a bit. (oh yes, definitely thunder... rain is here now too )
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project