Moving on, finally!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Moving on, finally!

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote: Beats me being found semi-conscious leant against the Trike tank one night after the recirculation fans tripped out (should have just left things be till it was sorted, rather than trying to get the tubes that were degreasing back lol) I've not flown quite so high before or since, and wouldn't want to!
I've been 'high' on Trike a few times :roll: It seemed quite good at the time :lol: The come-down is rough though...
I'm sure you are both aware that it was widely used as an anaesthetic, primarily in connection with childbirth.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And the baby came out bouncing and grinning!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:And the baby came out bouncing and grinning!
:lol:

I certainly was after a Trike 'high' ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I did not actually know of it's anaesthetic use, so there's something I've learned today at least. I don't recall getting an awful lot of work done after I'd been sent outside to get some fresh air so probably wasn't feeling so good, only bugger is I don't remember much of what happened earlier on so can't comment whether it was "enjoyable" or not :D
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:
I spent a lot of my working life exposed to high RF fields. When a fluorescent light tube glows at full brightness with no power applied you know the RF field is quite high!!!

Never have I known any case of it causing health issues; all those so involved are either healthy or lived to ripe old ages and as for making you sterile - definitely not :D

Interesting you should say that, Jim. On a few occasions, where I've stepped into relatively confined areas that have had leaky feeders running, I've experienced momentary dizzyness that's cleared after a few seconds. It's happened in a few locations, and hasn't happened since they turned off the system. I've also experienced the same when entering a mobile phone companies equipment room for one of their 'master' cells*. I've never been bothered enough to investigate whether it's coincidence or not - all I know is that it's happened where there's been (relatively) high RF fields in a relatively confined space :?
*-Don't know what the proper term is, but it's a 'hub' site that supports surrounding cells.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I recall my science teacher telling us about a workmate who got into the habit of sniffing trike, said he went mad and went home and murdered his mother. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote:I think HF acid is the only one that will attack glass - and has been used to etch it.
This reminded me of CFL3 - Chlorine TriFluoride :twisted: It'll happily burn glass, asbestos, concrete, you, me, the monitor you're reading this on, your house, etc, etc. :eek1: Product of reaction - Hydrogen Fluoride :( I think it can only really be safely transported in iron, copper, and a few other vessels. :shock:
There's a couple of 'entertaining' youtubes about it:

Worth reading the comments section on that one above on Youtube for a giggle :-D

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Anyone who worked on valve TVs became impervious to shocks, especially in the days of deep cabinets, you usually managed to come int to contact with something you couldn't see. The usuaul reaction was to go and collect your screwdriver from where you had involuntarily thrown it and carry on with the job.

Another pain were back screw brackets which stood out from the sides of the cabinet and had sharp corners, you did far more damage to yourself with the rapid involuntary withdrawal of your hand than the shock did. I must have had thousands of shocks during my time in the trade.

When I had my HF linear going the shack fluorescent would sometimes glow away merrily, obviously poor SWR :oops:

I to like the test card music, I bought the whole series of Herb Alpert records as a result of the BBC test card. I like the old colour test films too, you can find most of them on you tube. I particularly remember 'Evoluon' the science museum in Eindhoven, belonged to Philips of course, we visited it a couple of times, gave me serious case of deja vu.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:
Interesting you should say that, Jim. On a few occasions, where I've stepped into relatively confined areas that have had leaky feeders running, I've experienced momentary dizzyness that's cleared after a few seconds. It's happened in a few locations, and hasn't happened since they turned off the system. I've also experienced the same when entering a mobile phone companies equipment room for one of their 'master' cells*. I've never been bothered enough to investigate whether it's coincidence or not - all I know is that it's happened where there's been (relatively) high RF fields in a relatively confined space :?
*-Don't know what the proper term is, but it's a 'hub' site that supports surrounding cells.
Bobins, those that may upset you are likely high RF fields at UHF and your getting into microwave oven territory there so yes, there may be a connection. The jury is very much out on the effects at those frequencies...

All my exposure has been at frequencies below 30MHz and that does seem safe enough but get up to cellular frequencies and it really is tantamount to putting your head in a microwave...
bobins wrote: This reminded me of CFL3 - Chlorine TriFluoride :twisted:
Gosh, that's some 'interesting' stuff :shock:
Peter.N. wrote:Anyone who worked on valve TVs became impervious to shocks, especially in the days of deep cabinets, you usually managed to come int to contact with something you couldn't see. The usuaul reaction was to go and collect your screwdriver from where you had involuntarily thrown it and carry on with the job.r
Cor yes! the memories.... My favourite was getting a wrist across the tags on the blue lateral correction coil on the tube neck... That not only shocked but burned too :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote:
Interesting you should say that, Jim. On a few occasions, where I've stepped into relatively confined areas that have had leaky feeders running,
Bobins, those that may upset you are likely high RF fields at UHF and your getting into microwave oven territory there so yes, there may be a connection. The jury is very much out on the effects at those frequencies...
Thanks for that, Jim. That's reassuring to know. Or possibly not [-o<
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote:
Interesting you should say that, Jim. On a few occasions, where I've stepped into relatively confined areas that have had leaky feeders running,
If it was a while ago and the exposure was brief and you have had no persisting problems the chances are you'll be absolutely fine...

The risk seems to arise from regular prolonged exposure. The odd quick blast of the stuff is unlikely to be any issue at all... If it was a lot of people who had ever been in the vicinity of the main high-power TV transmitters like Sandy Heath or Holme Moss would be in a bad way by now...

I don't know what the average ERP of a cellular (mobile phone) base-station transmitter is now but there seems no issue about planting them in the middle of densely occupied residential areas...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
If it was a while ago and the exposure was brief and you have had no persisting problems the chances are you'll be absolutely fine...

The risk seems to arise from regular prolonged exposure. The odd quick blast of the stuff is unlikely to be any issue at all... If it was a lot of people who had ever been in the vicinity of the main high-power TV transmitters like Sandy Heath or Holme Moss would be in a bad way by now...

I don't know what the average ERP of a cellular (mobile phone) base-station transmitter is now but there seems no issue about planting them in the middle of densely occupied residential areas...[/quote]

Except of course with the usual suspects, those who complain about everything and use potential dangers as an excuse to get things blocked.
There was an interesting experiment (can't recall all the details now) but they set up a new mast in some college grounds and immediately there was an outcry, nausea and headaches abounded, panic ensued, nobody told them that it was just a post in the ground and not switched on to anything.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: There was an interesting experiment (can't recall all the details now) but they set up a new mast in some college grounds and immediately there was an outcry, nausea and headaches abounded, panic ensued, nobody told them that it was just a post in the ground and not switched on to anything.
Yes, it happens a lot sadly and a particular 'target' of these types are Radio Amateurs. There are many accounts of where they have erected aerials in their gardens and then received the 'visit' and told to desist due to exactly what you describe Gibbo... Desist to the point of removing them, closing down and abandoning their hobby :evil:

Wise amateurs (me included) now practice 'stealth aerial' techniques to conceal them from prying eyes who have no life and nothing better to do with their time and energy...

Mine hide in the attic...

It is a tragedy things have reached such an unfortunate state... Amateurs have always been harassed. It used to be they were the cause of all TV interference problems and now that problem is largely gone with modern TV delivery systems but the tables have really been turned - today's domestic gadgets cause horrific interference to amateurs and you know, they have absolutely no come-back on the perpetrators...

Trouble is, everything from ASDL to LED bulbs can cause interference - virtually everything electronic radiates; often because of bad design or penny-pinching...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote: There was an interesting experiment (can't recall all the details now) but they set up a new mast in some college grounds and immediately there was an outcry, nausea and headaches abounded, panic ensued, nobody told them that it was just a post in the ground and not switched on to anything.
Yes, it happens a lot sadly and a particular 'target' of these types are Radio Amateurs. There are many accounts of where they have erected aerials in their gardens and then received the 'visit' and told to desist due to exactly what you describe Gibbo... Desist to the point of removing them, closing down and abandoning their hobby :evil:

Wise amateurs (me included) now practice 'stealth aerial' techniques to conceal them from prying eyes who have no life and nothing better to do with their time and energy...

Mine hide in the attic...

It is a tragedy things have reached such an unfortunate state... Amateurs have always been harassed. It used to be they were the cause of all TV interference problems and now that problem is largely gone with modern TV delivery systems the tables have really been turned - today's domestic gadgets cause horrific interference to amateurs and you know, they have absolutely no come-back on the perpetrators...

Trouble is, everything from ASDL to LED bulbs can cause interference - virtually everything electronic radiates; often because of bad design or penny-pinching...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall a former friend (who was a keen amateur Radio operator) who wanted to set up a mast for a greater range. Most of the people in the area knew him, and did not have an issue with this, but one man did, and would not back down (so the council would not let him have the mast). Every so often my friend would check with the council, and this person still would not let the mast happen.

Several years later this person wanted to have a satellite system, so he checked with the council. The council said that, if my friend were to raise an objection to the dish, they would have to give him the same consideration that the objector had had. The objector then said to the council that he was withdrawing his objection to the radio mast. My friend got this information, and deduced what had happened. He got his mast up in short order, and then got some other equipment prepped and ready. The day after the satellite dish was installed it stopped working. When the satellite people turned up to check the equipment out, they found that, for reasons unknown to them, there was no signal available. Nothing they could do could explain why this was the case (there was another dish within 100' of this site, and it had a good signal). Several years later (the same amount of time of the original objections) the signal returned.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!