FCF AA BOX Challenge 2019-Just Jersey left!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: The FCF AA BOX Autumn Challenge 2016-11 left to be bagged!

Post by red_dwarfers »

Okay, I've been out to try and recreate the photo. Trouble is that trees have grown so it has been difficult to line up the chimney pots.

Make a note of the design of the chimney above the Bridgwater sign.

My first photo is slightly to the right of the above so you can see the chimney and get an idea of the area.

The second photo is roughly along the line where the chimneys line up from what I can see through the tree though I'm standing much further back.

This shows the whole verge and pavement where the AA box and office would have stood. The photos above are quite deceiving as there is move space here than you think.

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That part of Taunton looked far better many years ago when the AA Box was present. It looks really scruffy and uncared for now :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

With just the hint of a possibility of another one of the 19 boxes being claimed, here's a reca of the 11 Outstanding Boxes
Here's the full list of the now 11 unclaimed boxes in nice little groupings
South West England
456 Halfway House, Newton Poppleford, Devon: on A3052 (Exeter-Sidmouth) at junction with B3180
Wales
161 Nantyffin, Crickhowell, Powys: on A40 (Abergavenny-Brecon) at junction with Talgarth A479
289 Devil’s Bridge, Ceredigion: at junction with A4120 (Devil’s Bridge-Ponterwyd) and Cwmystwyth B4574
580 Boduan, Gwynedd: on A497 (Nefyn-Pwllheli) around 1 mile south of junction with B4354
North West England
487 Dunmail Raise, Grasmere, Cumbria: on A591 (Grasmere-Keswick) at Raise House south of Thirlmere
Scotland
472 Cambus o’ May, Aberdeenshire: on A93 (Aberdeen-Braemar) near junction with Strathdon A97
504 Ardgay, Highland: at junction of A836 (Bonar Bridge-Tarlogie) and B9176
631 Brachla, Highland: on A82 (Fort Augustus-Inverness) around 4 miles north of Drumnadrochit
753 Glen Dye, Strachan, Aberdeenshire: between Bridge of Dye and Strachan on B974 at junction with Old Military Road
..and just a bit further south
Norfolk
530 Brancaster, Norfolk: on A149 (Hunstanton-Wells) around 300 metres west of junction with Common Lane, Brancaster Staithe
Jersey
687 Trinity, Jersey: at junction of Rue du Presbytere and Rue des Picots, Trinity
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The FCF AA BOX Winter Challenge 2016-11 left to be bagged!

Title change time, one ice-scraping morning doesn't make a Winter, but there have been a few now so time for the AA box challenge to slip into winter mode.

...and as far as he elusive Brancaster Box in Norfolk goes, there are rumours of a near miss, but it remains to be claimed.

Additional kudos of course for pics with FCF stickers or a decent coating of frost/snow on the box!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is a most wonderful picture Neil :D Love it!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: ...and as far as he elusive Brancaster Box in Norfolk goes, there are rumours of a near miss, but it remains to be claimed.
Elma and I are guilty as charged Neil :(

Sadly, time was against us on Saturday but I'll be back out that way fairly soon as I was admonished on Facebook for not visiting another friend out that way...

I'll have to see if there's a Parkrun I can participate in nearby.... I'm on a new personal challenge to run Parkruns in as many different locations as I can...

Now the A11 is dualled all the way to Norwich from the A14 junction the journey is now much easier and pleasant :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That is a most wonderful picture Neil :D Love it!
Paul Aichinson is a Heritage Transport Artist. His website is here if anyone wants to look at some of his other stuff.

http://www.paulatchinson.co.uk/

Now that AA Box is probably a product of Pauls imagination, and the registration numbers probably the same...but worth a dig around maybe....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Paul Aichinson is a Heritage Transport Artist. His website is here if anyone wants to look at some of his other stuff.
I just have :D It's magical!!! I love the railways ones of the Western Diesel Hydraulic and the Deltic and his two latest (the white bus and the BP tanker) are simply divine :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

His FB page, has loads more examples of his work, and some excellent photos of trains and buses in particular. I do like his compositions. He's done a nice one of the Deltic prototype on the back of a Scamell Pickfords Wagon

https://www.facebook.com/paintpatch/pho ... 03/?type=3

and my first litle delve... Autotrader vehicle check....KLX 770 is described as A Landrover Unknown 1949, Body type Light Utility 4X4 date of First registration July 1995 colour Yellow.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Nov 2016, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Looks very much like KLX770 is in the Coventry Transport Museum

and thats the Maerdy AA Box behind it, and a couple of AA Village Signs from
Southease....in East Sussex and Hose...in Leicestershire.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....and the car needing assistance is a 1937 Riley 12-4 Falcon

in real life

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Well found Neil :D I have a plan to attend the Coventry Transport Museum as it's not far away and I've seen loads of pictures posted on Facebook from it... It looks a good place...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote:The remaining boxes in the Challenge.
Here's the full list of the now 11 unclaimed boxes in nice little groupings
South West England
456 Halfway House, Newton Poppleford, Devon: on A3052 (Exeter-Sidmouth) at junction with B3180
Wales
161 Nantyffin, Crickhowell, Powys: on A40 (Abergavenny-Brecon) at junction with Talgarth A479
289 Devil’s Bridge, Ceredigion: at junction with A4120 (Devil’s Bridge-Ponterwyd) and Cwmystwyth B4574
580 Boduan, Gwynedd: on A497 (Nefyn-Pwllheli) around 1 mile south of junction with B4354
North West England
487 Dunmail Raise, Grasmere, Cumbria: on A591 (Grasmere-Keswick) at Raise House south of Thirlmere
Scotland
472 Cambus o’ May, Aberdeenshire: on A93 (Aberdeen-Braemar) near junction with Strathdon A97
504 Ardgay, Highland: at junction of A836 (Bonar Bridge-Tarlogie) and B9176
631 Brachla, Highland: on A82 (Fort Augustus-Inverness) around 4 miles north of Drumnadrochit
753 Glen Dye, Strachan, Aberdeenshire: between Bridge of Dye and Strachan on B974 at junction with Old Military Road
..and just a bit further south
Norfolk
530 Brancaster, Norfolk: on A149 (Hunstanton-Wells) around 300 metres west of junction with Common Lane, Brancaster Staithe
Jersey
687 Trinity, Jersey: at junction of Rue du Presbytere and Rue des Picots, Trinity
And a mini challenge find out what you can on this seasonal pic :!: :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That must have been taken during the winter of 1962/63... I can just remember it...

That box was in Wales, up in the Brecon Beacons...

The AA Patrol Man looks happy - must have been some good stuff stashed away in that box :lol:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:That must have been taken during the winter of 1962/63... I can just remember it...

That box was in Wales, up in the Brecon Beacons...

The AA Patrol Man looks happy - must have been some good stuff stashed away in that box :lol:
Either that, or he has just been rescued! "I have been stuck here for days, and I had run out of tea!".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

another one from Wales Online yes 17th January 1963 (A470 Merthyr-Brecon Opposite junction with A4059)

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Aug 2020, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey