HELP Xsara Desire 2003 - Wiring Loom Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: HELP Xsara Desire 2003 - Blower/Heater FIX & Central Locking Fault

Post by Paul-R »

I hope that helps everybody a bit.

You know this:
chigurhm wrote:Passengers
The rocker locks then unlocks immediately on the passengers door the central locking is engaged and all the doors are unlocked.
Sounds an awful lot like this:
Paul-R wrote:The second time (and I had the same problem with C5), when operating the remote close there would be a clunk (locking), a second clunk (unlocking) and a beep as if one of the doors wasn't closed properly. This was only fixed by replacing the door lock mechanism.
Do (did) you get a beep as well?

Apart from that I can only suspect the door looms although for both sides to fail does sound suspicious and more like a fuse or some other common item.

Incidentally, have you measured the voltages at the socket on the hinge pillar or were they after the door loom? I'm not clear on this.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
chigurhm
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Desire

Post by chigurhm »

Hi,

There is no beep.

1. Shows the new earth added by the mechanic, this fixed the drivers window which did not work.

2. Shows where I have been testing the wires. This is not very neat but can be covered better.

The break in the earth wire which I have temporarily fixed is shown below, this is in the wiring loom from the car to drivers door.

chigurhm

Post by chigurhm »

Update

Today the professionals looked at the problem.
The wiring loom from the fuse box to the door is now connected, soldered and insulated.
The laptop once plugged in showed that the drivers door is not communicating with the the control box.
The auto-electrician thinks that it is either the wiring room inside the door - the connector at the door, or the locking mechanism - which fails to tell the control box that the door is locked/unlocked.
I think i can get hold of a second hand locking mechanism but the breakers in my area do not have a wiring loom.
On ebay there is a wiring loom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xsara ... SwwbdWJNdz but I do not know if this will work with my car?

Thanks
Mike
chigurhm

Post by chigurhm »

Update

I purchased a drivers door wiring loop off eBay which should of been the same part number as the one I already had. I performed a continuity test for each plug and matched this to the socket at the drivers door for both wiring loops, the results were the same for the central locking, speaker and electric window. The only difference was the wiring and pins for the electric mirror, which I do not have.
I numbered the pins as below:

Central Locking
10, 7, 4, 2, 1, 9, 8, 3 & 4

Speakers
White 5
Red 6

Electric Window
17, 12, 7 & 18

The electric window did not work with the new wiring loom. I put a length of wire from the earth pin in the central locking socket and touched the car door - the electric window now worked.

Conclusion:

Both wiring looms DO NOT EARTH.

I matched the master socket from the drivers door wiring loom to the cars wiring loom and found that pin 7 (drivers loom) was connecting to an empty space in the car socket. The earth wire in the socket from the car was pin 20. The auto electrician last week fixed the broken earth wire as a stub of wire and pin was already in pin 20.

Car side wiring photo below:

I tried a few tests by putting wires in various places mainly pin 20 to pin 7 and the central locking did not work but the electric window did.

When all doors are closed, ignition on and the passengers door is locked this is what happens:

View My Video

The auto electrician did advise to fit a new lock mechanism but I haven't got hold of one yet, this might solve the issue?

How can I determine which pin the earth wire should be in the cars side wiring loom?

I also need the part number for the drivers lock mechanism, but I do not want to take this apart without having a new one to put in.

Thanks

Mike
chigurhm

Re: HELP Xsara Desire 2003 - Wiring Loom Problem

Post by chigurhm »

The auto-electrician plugged his laptop into the car (ECU?) and it showed that the state of the drivers door was not changing. Now I have changed the wiring loom and I have tested the wires to pins and therefore this should not be the problem.

I have looked at the wiring diagram for the drivers door central locking and electric window and I think the earth should be E10, RH Side Footwell?
http://geekgreek.com/downloads/Citroen% ... iagram.pdf

I think the earth pin on the wiring loom from the car to the door is incorrectly wired, and therefore there is no earth. Solution new wiring loom (I am not sure how easy this is to fit or the part number), or somehow move the pin to the correct location (can this be done?)?

Does the lock mechanism contain a sensor to tell the ECU that the drivers door is locked/unlocked etc? Can the sensor be tested? If so this is the remaining part I need to change, I can then temporarily wire earth to the "correct" pin to test it.

Apologies for my rants, I think I am getting obsessed with this problem.

Thanks
Mike
skimy
My Cars: C5 1.6 HDI - 2005

Re: HELP Xsara Desire 2003 - Wiring Loom Problem

Post by skimy »

Hi!

Have you made any progress on this?
I suspect you might be having the problem I read about a long time ago, the cause was the white piece connected to the lock button, on the right top corner:

From what I remember, when it moves, a litte spring (or something similar) moves inside and that's where the lock/unlock information comes from!