Classic for under £10K

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic for under £10K-what would be nice?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

....and if you were offered the keys to this for a week.....you would wouldn't you...even if just to cause a stir in Morrison's car park :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Even more shocked now Neil...

Love that blue A35 Van... They'll always be special to me as that was the first vehicle I remember my dad having except it was a dark green one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

If Renault 5's are your thing, this example up for auction at the next SWVA (Poole) on 29th July has to be worth consideration. It is K-Reg and has a warranted milage of.....

Yes, thats 205 miles :!:
Time-warp, classic Renault 5 - bought new by the last elderly lady owner, who after a couple of hundred miles and a minor altercation with the stack of plants, at the local garden centre, decided to park up the brand new car in her garage and leave it there

Estimate £1,900 to £2,900

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I had a 1978 R5 in Marron Glace (a very nice metallic brown) for a number of years in the 80s and loved it...

No experience of the later ones at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd buy that over almost any modern car the same size. I love cars like this because I open the bonnet and I understand them, they're a bit different nowadays as well.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote:I'd buy that over almost any modern car the same size. I love cars like this because I open the bonnet and I understand them, they're a bit different nowadays as well.
You would probably need your understanding :) stood in a garage since 1971/2 45 years can't have been good for it, think of all that dried out, perished rubber.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:
elma wrote:I'd buy that over almost any modern car the same size. I love cars like this because I open the bonnet and I understand them, they're a bit different nowadays as well.
You would probably need your understanding :) stood in a garage since 1971/2 45 years can't have been good for it, think of all that dried out, perished rubber.
Not quite 45 years Gibbo its "new K-Reg" first registered 03 August 1992 so its a mere 23 and a bit!, and its got an MOT expiry date 23rd March 2017, so the flexible brake hoses and tyres at least must have been fettled.

It certainly looks pretty showroom condition from the pics.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:I had a 1978 R5 in Marron Glace (a very nice metallic brown) for a number of years in the 80s and loved it...

No experience of the later ones at all...
Well its not a 78, its a 74, and available on ebay for under 100 euros inc postage.

Did your real one have that garish interior :-D (and for me a garish interior is a good thing!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the one Neil :D

It was a 5TL and indeed did have the garish interior! I loved it and thought it was really cool! How times (and tastes) change!!!
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:
Not quite 45 years Gibbo its "new K-Reg" first registered 03 August 1992 so its a mere 23 and a bit!, and its got an MOT expiry date 23rd March 2017, so the flexible brake hoses and tyres at least must have been fettled.

Regards Neil
Well it was early morning when I posted that, must try to wake up properly before posting. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:

Regards Neil
No guarantees!

When I picked up my 87 E plate Skoda Estelle (16K miles on it then, and a nearly new MOT), it was still wearing the original tyres and rubber components - the only exceptions being the seals in the brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinders which failed when the previous owner dragged it straight out of storage and drove it straight up to the other end of the country.

...The vast majority of the problems I've had with the car have been thanks to that approach!

Tyres were changed virtually the moment I got the car. They had gone so hard that power slides were entirely possible on a dry road at sub 30mph speeds, despite having only 50 odd bhp on tap! Going around roundabouts resulted in tyre squeal that sounded like something from a car chase in a 70s US based action movie. Next up were about three miles of coolant pipes.

Still has the original brake hoses on, only just starting to perish astonishingly, but they're on borrowed time as I've just ordered all new ones. ...Then I just need to start tackling the suspension as a heap of the bushes are unsurprisingly unhappy with life...

If it's been stored and prepped properly someone will be getting a brand new car for a bargain price. If not, they'll have a lot of work ahead!

The storage environment can make a huge difference as well. Friend of mine dragged a mid 80s Fiesta out of storage (similar story, only had about 10K on the clock) a good few years ago and the only perished thing on the entire car was one of the fuel lines oddly enough. We did change the tyres as a precaution, but they looked like new and I think ended up doing service on a trailer for about ten years after that.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Some slightly off topic sales from the H&H Auction at Chateau Impney yesterday, quite a few of the lots didn't meet their reserve.

I like a Lancia, this one sold for £18,592

This remained unsold (unless they havent updated all the results yet) so it maybe didn't make the £11,000 to £13,000 estimate.....maybe it could just scrape into the classics under £10K category.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

... oh and completely off topic this has an estimate of unbelievably £20,000 to £30,000.

and even more unbelievably sold for a staggering £80,230! Its a Costin-Nathan Works Prototype, and has a Hillman Imp 998cc engine!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Do you think this looks worth £1,000?

Citroen BX 4X4 sold for that very amount at Anglia Car Auctions in June this year.

I would say Oui!

and £5,250 bought this

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Zel, your Skoda Estelle story exactly matches mine, I did the same, a very low mileage (8k) Estelle with all the problems you list but once fixed it gave the buyer good long service, those coolant hoses full length under the floor were a pain. :(