URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE??!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE??!!

Post by HDI »

Deanxm wrote:I would watch a youtube video of a man swearing at a fuel pump too, its entertaining watching other peoples struggles with life, youtube itself is proof of that.
Or were you talking on a purely educational video? in which case ive got the wrong end of the stick completely.

At least you got it sorted ok in the end.
D
It would have been very amusing to see the process of replacing the pump unit but I didn't record it, my priority was elsewhere! After that 4 hour journey I was not in a happy place!
Replacing the actual pump in the old basket would be a more considered process, so I'd be in a calmer state of mind! It would be more instructive than reality TV!
Ah well, such is life :?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I wouldnt be in a happy place either sir, sounds like you had a less than ideal day.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The most frustrating thing is that with the appropriate facilities this was an easy peasy job, with the circumstances I had it was a nightmare! Having had workshop facilities at one time it is now really annoying to be without them! The guys that do everything in the driveway or even road have my utmost respect!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 Feb 2016, 23:53 In the interim - Here's the said tool in case you want to start up the forge!
Tank Tool.jpg

Hi. Is it possible for someone to repost a picture of one of these tools, as I'm not getting that one.

I've broken about 3 lugs off so far with screwdriver or piece of wood and hammer. Time for a new idea.

Or a description. I'm thinking of some 20 mm wood across, with short pieces glued and screwed on, to rest against the vertical parts of the lugs, then something to turn it, but there may be something better, contacting more than 2.

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andy - This is one of the pics that fell victim to the Photobucket ransom - give me a minute and I'll try and resurrect it from an archive....
Edit - Picture of the Tank tool restored now.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Thank you.

I quite like the look of that, but paradoxically it would be easier to make at work - after the car is fixed.

I've found some adjustable ones, two slotted bars on a slider, on eBay, from £8. Wonder how hard the metal is, if it might twist on a really tough job.

Or I wondered about rolling a sheet of something into a tube, or does plastic tube go that big, cutting 12 small slots at the bottom, 2 big ones at the top for a long bar. See what's in the garage tomorrow ...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I ordered an £8.50 tool from eBay for the ring. Two partly slotted vertical bars adjustable for width in slots in the top bar. Quite thick and appears to be made of hardened metal, so no worries about twisting. Drive hole in the middle, and adaptor for ½", so used the extendable wrench for the wheel nuts.

To begin with it seemed marginal for the vertical bars to fit the ring and still be within the access hole in the bodywork, but fortunately there is just over 30 degrees of turn available at one alignment.
HDI wrote: 01 Mar 2016, 21:35 Installing it without the special tool that fits the plastic securing ring is a struggle as the pump assembly is spring loaded, so it wants to push out as you need to push down and thread the securing ring on! Took about a dozen attempts before the thread started without jumping off ...

I was glad to come back to read this to check, as I hadn't realised during removal that it is sprung, and on replacement I was worried I was trapping or bending something inside, like maybe the float stuck against a possible baffle. But no, just these springs.

Another issue is an O ring seal. It is slightly stretched in situ on the flange on top of the tank, and might roll off the lip on the flange. Mine did when I'd already lowered the pump in. I read of someone fiddling this for ages, but I had someone hold the pump so I could use two hands for the O ring. And getting the ring on the thread was fine, unlike in the quote, with one hand on the top of the assembly, other on ring.

Ran pump twice for the few seconds on start, started and running perfect straight away.