Saxo VTR Engine does not crank [turn over]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aladinsane

Re: Saxo VTR Engine does not crank [turn over]

Post by aladinsane »

Keeping the audience updated on this no start, no crank problem, today I removed the coil pack, took out the spark plugs and spun the engine, starter engaged and tried [as it will have been doing through all these operations when it was tested] and began to burn, here is why- I loosened the wheel nuts jacked up the car, removed the wheel and dropped the wheel arch liner pulling it past the hub, then moved the hose that ran along the inner wing just a little so I could get a socket onto the crank shaft , then with two 9ins long socket bars connected to each other and using a driver and an extension bar as a lever tried to turn this engine by hand [ and forgive me but its clockwise this engine rotates, not anti clockwise], so pushing downwards[ not pulling upwards] I tried to turn this engine, it would not budge, so I marked the crank with red paint and the body with red paint [so I could tell if it moves in the future] and put the road wheel back on and dropped the car. Bloody freezing out there, so I put some penetrating oil down the plug holes. I hope its gone down onto the upper cylinder walls and not onto the crown,however its deep down there so who knows, anyway I tried, then I came inside reflecting on how an engine can seize in two months and wondering how to free it. Simply must be a top end seizure as the bottom end should be bathed in oil, the oil level on the dip stick is spot on. So I am asking you kind people if you have any further ideas Jeez I must have been ff ing unlucky here, but I am not beaten yet, maybe with a little help all is not lost ! Any further ideas please, any knack anyone has tried before, just anything you can think of ?
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Anyone live near Hartlepool TS27 UK who could help me with this car, supposing its jacked up, to help turn this crank shaft using an extension bar and a lever, for maybe I am just not strong enough!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Wondering if you can gently turn cam.sprocket a fraction back and forwards .. like a tiny amount. May help pinpoint top.end or bottom end seize?
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Still with the plugs out putting copious amounts of penetrating oil liberally into the bores I have had a lever through the starter motor aperture onto the ring gear of the fly wheel using a mirror so I could see what I was doing, foolhardy I expect, however desperate things need desperate measures [ felt like the gear teeth might snap] and the bar slipped off the teeth so didnt prolong this, and still this engine refuses to turn, got a few chaps calling who are going to help me push this engine in gear to and fro and if all else fails try to bump start it once again into action, if it still remains jammed then that will indeed be that, but lets just see this coming Tuesday.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well it may work
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Indeed it did work, thanks for the keeping of the faith from all of the audience and the advice and suggestions, for endeavour has its own reward and so it has proved. I had all but given up, now though this engine is ticking over sweetly again, however it was not without a struggle. This is what three of us did [two strong younger men] and one less strong 66 year old. Keeping up with this post you will all recall I started liberally squirting penetrating oil into the bores for a good few days[Some of it must have been going onto the walls of the bores as I found out later]. Anyway I heated the plugs up slightly put them back and put everything else back and it was all systems go. We rocked and rocked this car whilst in gear to and fro then I tried starting it, no it would not have it, still seized, so jacked it up again and my nephew all 17 stone of him tried to turn the crank and it shifted or seemed to do so, and watched while he turned the crank again, my nephew seemed to get half an inch/inch of movement on the crank, could see from paint marks I put on bolt and body previously that it had moved, success, saw the bgr move. Dropped the car,then got in, they pushed me off the drive and along the road where I selected third, not second gear, ignition on, clutch down, flying down the road,lifted clutch, gear already engaged it let out a splutter the alternator belt slipping was smoking like hell so was the top of the engine [probably due to the penetrating oil ] and it drove shrieking like a pig. Put it back on the drive tightened the alternator belt [deflection, well its not right at the mo] but nevermind, just wanted to see if it would start with the new, old, starter motor using the ignition key, tried it umpteen times and it started everytime, so that is that then, and all is well that ends well, except to say that I used penetrating fluid not Plus Gas or Coca Cola and got away without dismantling anything, didn't have to change the oil remove the exhaust or anything else, must admit however, that although I am not completely dismissive of Coca Cola however maybe its best to clean drains with it before putting it in the engine bores lol. I extend my thanks to all that contributed on this thread and a special thanks to my nephew Carl and his friend who came all the way from outside of York to help me. Just how does an engine seize like that in just a few months,one thing is for certain I will not procrastinate any longer, it will be turned weekly as I could not go through this ordeal again. Job done.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'd better go start my 205 soon. It has been over 4 weeks,,,,,,,,
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I find it difficult to believe that an engine would seize up after standing just 4 weeks - amazing, considering that many engines must stand that long unattended. Think of all the cars standing in car dealerships unloved!

My congratulations on your perseverance, and successful outcome =D> =D>
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is amazing! There must have been some considerable amount of damp got in at some time to have done that...

One thing I wonder about is if you have a small weep of coolant getting into the engine when stopped for some reason. Is it consuming coolant or showing any signs of head gasket failure?

As Martin says, well done :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

=D>

but I was really hoping you would use a shotgun cartridge :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A school friend's Dad had one of these - can't recall if I ever saw him start it with a cartridge though....!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We used to have emergency diesel gensets years ago that could be started with a cartridge or else that, lots and lots of hand cranking...

They were made Tooley Hatz if I recall correctly...

Years ago it was one of my tasks to fire them up occasionally up to test them... Happy days.. Certainly good exercise swinging them over...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jsp
My Cars: AX 3x 10E 1.4 GTI 5drs 1.0i
CX 2x GTI turbo
ID 19 1960

Now:
1960 ID 19
1984 CX GTI Turbo 1
1987 CX GTI Turbo 2
1987 AX 10E Pino
1994 AX 1.4 5dr TGS GTI
1994 AX 1.0 3dr Escapade
1996 AX 1.1 3dr spot Burgundy
1996 AX 1.1 5dr Verte
2003 peugeot 206 xs leather with auto A/C

Post by jsp »

Edit: just read you have started the engine.

Shouldn't be that bad I have currently an old TU engine TU9 ML/Z which had been standing 15 years still without moving and it was a dry dry engine. Well stored in very good condition with only 11.000mls.
First I put new engine oil in it.

Then did put a ratchet on the crankshaft and oil and turn it around for like 30 times and it started right away after that.

Not uncommon of failures of the ignition barrel and the starter motor. I have several AX's here which are basically same as the Saxo and replaced a few in the years.

But, headgaskets are very prone on TU engines and needs to be changed every 60k mls if driven short distances. Otherwise 150.000mls is not uncommon for long distance driving.