Xantia Turbo Diesel autobox issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DDB
My Cars:

Xantia Turbo Diesel autobox issues

Post by DDB »

Hi guys,

It's probably done to death here, but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I recently acquired a 1998 (S) Xantia Turbo D Exclusive estate automatic, which has (I've been told) the Siemens AL4 box. When I got the car, I was aware of gearbox issues with it, which i'm trying to sort out now. When driving along it seems to be jumping gears a lot, and is a bit jerky.

I've just ordered 5 litres of Mobil LT71141 ATF to give the box a fluid change. I'll also plug it in to the Lexia to see what comes up. Is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance guys.

Dave
Milton Keynes
Dave

'00 Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto
'98 Xantia Turbo D Exclusive auto estate
'94 Xantia 2.0 SX auto
'86 Visa 10E Leader
'82 Visa Super E
'83 Visa Convertible
'90 205 CJ Convertible
'87 R11 GTL
'87 R21 Monaco

And lots of other non-French stuff

Yes, I know... I need help :-)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia Turbo Diesel autobox issues

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is quite a lot of info already on this site. Assuming that you are using a full sze screen (not a phone), then you will see a google search box on the right hand side of this page, just below the header. Type "al4 solenoid" (without the quote marks) into that pox and read a few of the returned links, and you should see what you are likely to be in for (it is fixable).
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the oil that comes out is black (and you are prepared for the expense) get another 15L of oil. Because of the torque convertor, it is not possible (unless you strip the gearbox) to get much more than half the oil out. Assuming no other problems, what you need to do is to get as much oil out as you can (when the gearbox is at a certain temperature, but I DON'T know what that is), then top it back up (measure how much came out, replace with the same amount), and then repeat every few hundred miles. I would suggest you post up the mileage of the car. The gearbox may be close to its' 'expiry' date (around 150,000 miles), and if it fails it can be expensive to sort. However, if it is still running, it is possible (by use of a reconditioned torque convertor and a few other things) to get another 150,000 miles out of it.

EDIT; If I have got this wrong I apologise. I am going by memory (from what I have read on this forum, not having had an automatic car), and I know that some gearboxes can cause you grief.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 09 Feb 2016, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, the AL4 is well known for having electrovalve issues... They're apparently very easy to replace and as Mike says above, there's a lot of threads on here about it...

I have the official procedure for changing the ATF in an AL4. PM me your email address and I can send it to you as a PDF...

A Lexia is required to change the fluid to both see that it's at the right temperature for level checking and to reset the worn oil counter

Also, I appear to be local to you (Newport Pagnell) so if you need any support in doing the job, give me a shout...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DDB
My Cars:

Post by DDB »

sent you a pm, Jim
Dave

'94 Xantia 2.0 SX auto
'86 Visa 10E Leader
'82 Visa Super E
'83 Visa Convertible
'90 205 CJ Convertible
'87 R11 GTL
'87 R21 Monaco

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DDB wrote:sent you a pm, Jim
Not seen it yet Dave :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DDB
My Cars:

Post by DDB »

Not sure why it didn't go through... Just tried again :)
Dave

'94 Xantia 2.0 SX auto
'86 Visa 10E Leader
'82 Visa Super E
'83 Visa Convertible
'90 205 CJ Convertible
'87 R11 GTL
'87 R21 Monaco

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It worked that time Dave!
Jim