Xsara Picasso-Wheel Bearing...just do it? or get it done?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xsara Picasso-Wheel Bearing...just do it? or get it done?

Post by RichardW »

The only bit that hub will save is cutting the old inner race of the hub - it's presumably intended for ones where the hub is wrecked for some reason.

RE the ABS sensor makes sense not to remove it, unless you have to - just check that it doesn't protrude past the bearing. It may get wrecked in the process - we had one on our Xsara Picasso that had 3 bearings in quick succession, and the last time the ABS sensor gave up the ghost.

I bought one of the threaded pullers and did both the front bearings on my 307 - took a good few hours each (and I'm pretty sure one of them is grumbling again after only 20k - they were supposedly SKF bearings from Mr Auto). The worst bit is getting the circlip out of the hub. Garage only charged me 1.5 hrs labour to do the one on the Picasso- and fitted the replacement ABS sensor for parts cost only.
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Needs a press to remove and replace those £££s to be saved by removing the hubs and rocking down to the local engineering guys, they are quite easy to damage if not careful when pressing them in.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
NewcastleFalcon

For amusement/entertainment only......

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes as stated above this is for amusement/entertainment only! Originally posted up on Richard W's thread Wheel Bearing Tool. Worth giving another airing on a wheel bearing thread.

What happens when you put the new bearing in the deep freeze and the hub in the oven for half an hour?

A little bit of spontaneous laughter :)

(Extracted from full video posted by Michaelovitch rear bearing Renault 21)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

rory_perrett wrote:Does that make us sad or what? Must say I enjoy it more now when I've (several) other vehicles available to use and the pressure is off to get stuff done.
When I was a yoof and keeping the car going was the only way I could get to work the dread of shearing a vital something on a Sunday evening was somewhat stressful.
That sums up nicely my own car-fixing experience. The pressure of the daily commute and one car is off now, but that pressure did result in an attitude of I have to get it done so I'll just have to get on and do it...whatever the weather.

My current procrastination and dithering on this wheel bearing job on the Picasso just wouldn't have happened. Now I seem to need the perfect day....dry, mild, no wind to make a start. January wasn't the best month for this.....hence the procrastination :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

the dangers of that, is TOO much heat, melting the grease and disturbing the seals..........
Bob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:dry, mild, no wind to make a start. January wasn't the best month for this.....hence the procrastination :)
I believe there's going to be one day at the end of April when all those conditions are met for once only this year :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:dry, mild, no wind to make a start. January wasn't the best month for this.....hence the procrastination :)
I believe there's going to be one day at the end of April when all those conditions are met for once only this year :lol: :lol:
Mild won't be good enough in April-I'll be needing dry warm and no wind by then :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

or move SOUTH....even my chickens are laying again :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:or move SOUTH....even my chickens are laying again :)
Yum! Delicious...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Xsara Picasso wheel bearing...just do it? or get it done?

...well I got it done, and paid £72.00 for the job, and the rumble, and grumble has gone.

Well pleased with that, and for me very good value and well worth it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That was a good result Neil, excellent :D
Jim