Xantia 1.9TD Euro Car Parts Alternator.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 1.9TD Euro Car Parts Alternator.

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, that's excellent news :D I'm delighted!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Delivered the so called 95 amp Bosch alternator to Martin @Pleiades in Sawtry Cambs this morning at 9am.
when Martin Opened the box he realised that it was Not a bosch alternator after all it is a reconditioned Valeo,
Sold in Bosch packaging under the premise that it is a new branded Bosch product. RRP was £275 fortunately
I didn't pay this much, it cost £145 once they realised I wasn't going to be paying a £60 surcharge
and a discount was negotiated for my bad experience thus far. £95.99 was refunded for the RTX alternator.

The revelation that RTX alternators are all reconditioned alternators
and sold as new alternators by the salesman yesterday was bad enough.
I think they should tell you this on their website and it may be illegal under the distance selling regulations.

you just can't trust anyone selling you so called branded or New products anymore can you.
At least Bosch had the decency to apply a sticker to the alternator to advise you that it is a reconditioned unit.
No such sticker existed on the RTX Unit.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :o :shock:

That's a bit of deception. Pleased however that yet more satisfaction has been received Nigel..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

and you wonder why ECP were prosecuted in the hastings area by trading standards ; Malcom showed me the news article when I last visited him , may he RIP.
Simon
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

If it was definitely sold as 'new' rather than reconditioned, then that is wrong, or a mistake. However (and I don't mean to sound disparaging/critical, here but...) most alternators are reconditioned units. There's nothing new there - it's always been that way and there is nothing wrong with that. My assumption when buying an alternator would always be that it is reconditioned, rather than new.

Brand new alternators are massively expensive. At £95 that would only ever be a reconditioned unit, never a new one (unless NOS in a clearance sale).

The major expense is in the commutator and all the stator windings (which don't fail/last forever) whereas the parts that fail/need replacing are the regulators, brushes and bearings. That's why it has always been a component that is reconditioned. A fully reconditioned alternator is as good as new.

The problem comes if the quality of the components (mainly the regulator) are poor, which it sounds like was the case here. However, that can be the case these days, wherever you buy from unfortunately. Price rules in automotive these days.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Oh yes I definitely understand paying more for better quality, I have a 5-1 500watt per channel hi-fi system with oil cooled speakers
the amp weighs about 50lbs, just try to buy one of those these days in Curry's. The EU now dictates the size of your amplifier in your home stereo.

A bit disappointed that the Bosch wasn't a Bosch in the box and a Valeo instead. But I am happier that it was reconditioned & Guaranteed by Bosch rather than RTX.
The RTX will now be sent back and some poor other Mug is going to have to pay £95 for it as a supposedly new unit/later to be told if it fails again it was only a recon unit.

I have to say I expected a little more than 5 months use though. good job I was running a lot of electrical items in the car. i.e. car cam, Satellite heads up speedo and Co-pilot sat Naff on the phone.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

absolutely No indication here that this is a reconditioned alternator.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... 750&000012
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Oh yes I definitely understand paying more for better quality, I have a 5-1 500watt per channel hi-fi system with oil cooled speakers

Your neighbours must love you Nigel :lol:

I often listen to my iPod via a little 5W class A valve amp and that's plenty loud enough to be heard next door when the loud pot is well advanced...

I guess your amp is not valved is it?
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

No its Not Valved they are getting expensive to replace now and probably a little small for such high output, my son has a Marshal 50Watt guitar amp with two trays of valves in it.
I've blown the transistors a couple of times on the hi-fi using the Sub and had to have them replaced. My new neighbours haven't felt the full force of the Hi-fi yet.
But if they carry on like they are they might just be in store for a blast. I tend to use my Computer for playing music these days with two channels and a sub Little Logitech speakers.
I've always wondered if the pub on the other side of the valley could hear my stereo like I can hear theirs on a Friday night?
However it is not the kind of kit you want seized in a raid from your local environmental health office it is for now irreplaceable.
I never understand people who move into a new house and don't lay the Hi-fi cables before the carpet goes down. its a lot better than blue tooth.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Big brother of one of my amps - they advise two per channel bridged giving 1800W per channel.
If only I could afford a set :(

Nemo
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Big brother of one of my amps - they advise two per channel bridged giving 1800W per channel.
:shock:

You could deafen the whole town with that!!

Bet Jackie sounds a bit good over it :-D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jackie sounds good on anything.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Jackie sounds good on anything.
True, even on the little speaker in my morse key...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:rofl2:
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

I know this will not help your immediate problem but 2 years ago my alternator died, I removed it and bought new brushes and copper bushes from Ireland via ebay for 9 euros including postage and did the job myself, it involves a bit of soldering but the rest was straight forward, its still charging. well worth considering, good luck with it all , hope your Dad is on the mend

Bill