Xantia 1.9TD Euro Car Parts Alternator.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia 1.9TD Euro Car Parts Alternator.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
I Bought a replacement Alternator from Euro Car Parts Last August and it was fitted by Martin @ Pleiades.
I got into the car last night and the battery light stayed on for about 5 mins then it went out,
I thought it odd for a five month old alternator so I pulled over turned off the ignition and the battery light stayed on albeit very dimly.

The lights on the car were very dim, however in the snow I managed to get home again, in the last mile or so smoke was billowing
from my bonnet the alternator really seemed to be giving up.

This alternator behaved exactly how the old one did as it gave up, I am wondering if there could be any underlying cause other than the alternator
packing in or is it just likely to be a dodgy/badly made alternator? the battery light is on about as bright as it can be now, and there is no output from the alternator.

has anyone else had similar problems with Euro car part alternators?

It always happens at a time when you need the car most currently my Father is in Leicester Glenfield hospital

recovering from heart surgery which he had last Tuesday.

cheers
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Xantia 1.9TD Euro Car Parts Alternator.

Post by wurlycorner »

Smoke billowing from the bonnet? :?
What was it emanating from inside the bonnet?

As a starter for ten, I suggest checking all the earths are present and correct under the bonnet and inspecting all the power cables coming from the positive battery terminal (particularly the one that runs across to the alternator) for any damage to insulation.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I thought it odd for a five month old alternator so I pulled over turned off the ignition and the battery light stayed on albeit very dimly.
Not if its a ECP RTX brand, 5 months is great to get out of one.

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:has anyone else had similar problems with Euro car part alternators?
If its the RTX brand from ECP then yes, would never touch another RTX alternator or starter with a barge pole, been bitten far to many times. They are a fraction of the price of a brand name for a reason.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Nigel, sorry to hear of problems just when you need the car as you do!

I do have an almost brand new one in my spares.. fitted by RAC for a friend, for £250 and used for 2 months! Its buried a bit but is a Valeo..
was fitted to a TD306 with the top mounted intercooler.. Memory of the TD range is faded but I think that was the first TD 306's, about 1995/6 etc

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like the rectifier pack died..

Five months of life is atrocious...

Nigel, hope your dad is making a good recovery...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

We all know what Citronut thought of ECP! I think that this goes to vindicate his opinion.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:We all know what Citronut thought of ECP! I think that this goes to vindicate his opinion.
Yes, his and I suspect others too; not least me...

I have never failed to have been disappointed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You just need to watch the lines that they are selling or promoting.
I have had lots of good deals in last year from ECP. All good brands and bought when they gave discount on an already low price.
Click and collect if I need asap, or free postage if for stock. I buy from them all on brand and price.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

lexi wrote: Click and collect if I need asap, or free postage if for stock. I buy from them all on brand and price.
I think the problem that a lot of people have with ECP, is that you can't necessarily trust that the brand/make on the box, is the same as what's in the box.......
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Or labelled correctly!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

chinkostu wrote:Or labelled correctly!
Funnily enough, I had exactly that problem today. An incorrect wheel bearing supplied by them......
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

it is indeed an RTX, I've lost my receipt but I have found my bank statement showing the transaction on august 24th last year.
I am hoping and praying that they will let me upgrade to the 95 amp Bosch instead, its a big ask but I am hoping.
The car made it to Pleiades this morning it was very cold in the country lanes for an hour or so.
Martin is pulling the Alternator for me which I shall collect and take back to Euro Car Parts.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, I really hope ECP do the right thing with the alternator... At 5 months it should be under warranty even without the original receipt and I hope ECP honour it...

If not you can claim it is not fit for purpose.
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

That sounds like a good back up plan, Thanks Jim.
I'll post back on this thread once I Have been to ECP,
with the end result. £95.99 was the price.
I should have realised it wasn't going to live up to much. #-o
I might well print off this thread as a measure of leverage if I may?

Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

Well it seems that they are happy to take the balance of £72.99 to allow me to
upgrade to the Bosch 95amp alternator. on production of my debit card statement
showing payment to them on August 24th last year.
That's the last time I buy a chepo RTX alternator from ECP.
On removal it was still shiny at 5 months old.

Thanks everyone for the advice. =D> =D> =D>

regards.

Nigel. :wink: