Citroen C5 trailing arm woes.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BX
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C5 trailing arm woes.

Post by BX »

I'm with Peter. Grease is the word. Sufficient grease and good seals. I put the metal spacer tube inside the plastic tube. I pack the space between the two tubes on one side with grease, put a little 140gear oil in the middle and pack the other side with grease. I think the oil helps keep the grease from drying out over a long period. Any trailing arm bearings I have replaced always lasted substantially longer than the originals. The exact same bearings have been used by Peugeot for well over 30 years. They were a regular failure on the Peugeot 305 van throughout the 80s and into the 90s. The rear suspension layout was similar to the BX/xantia/C5 but used a steel spring. They used to get a hard life from farmers and builders who knocked hell out of them over bad roads.
Perhaps only the bearings were replaced on your car, not the complete kit with seals spacers & tubes. Another possibility is that the shims weren't replaced leaving the bearings loose.
Mdon

Post by Mdon »

Car has just come back. After squeaking all they way up until Saturday it magically stopped yesterday and they couldn't replicate it today. They've greased the 'knuckle' as they think debris and corrosion may be building up in there but they've said take it a see what happens. Hopefully this'll sort it otherwise it may be going to werobyouofyourcar.com (aka we buy any car).

All ideas of what it might be gratefully received.

Mike.
Current vehicle
2010 peugeot 3008 1.6 HDi exclusive
2007 Citroen C5 20.HDi estate exclusive

Past French cars
2000 Xantia HDi 90 Forte
2002 C5 HDi 110 LX
2002 Renault laguna 1.8 16v
2008 Renault laguna estate 1.5dci
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Better sticking it in your local auction, That's what wbac will do so u will get more money.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2