Book Of ....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Re: Book Of ....

Post by xantos »

To get the activa suspension behaving as it should... 7 spanners job :-D
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

RichardW wrote: Xantia clutch clip
I think I once resorted to bending the clutch pedal 90degrees left halfway down it's length in order to make that job easier. It did the trick :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

xantos wrote:To get the activa suspension behaving as it should... 7 spanners job :-D
Good point, well made :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: Xantia clutch clip
How could I have forgotten that one Richard :shock: I must be loosing it :evil: :roll: :lol:

I agree too about No. 4 glowplug too...

On Lucas pumped non-turbo XUDs it's dead simple... It's only a pain on Bosch TDs..

Easier on a 2.1TD too despite having to remove the top half of the inlet manifold...

I must now add another bad one to the list..

The 1.9TD/2.1TD auxiliary belt tensioner.. The spring-loaded one :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote:If there could only ever be one '6 spanner difficulty' rating awarded to a repair procedure on a French car, what would it be ? What is the most ludicrous, senseless, time-consuming, sanity-testing, downright frustratiing and difficult job to do ?
I have a Xsara Picasso now, and as I said before haven't yet got the Haynes manual. Without a manual or a viewing of google or youtube this task would undoubtedly be a six spanner job for the "normal" motorist.

The job........finding the battery :!: :-D

I had to resort to youtube not having a manual.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: The job........finding the battery :!: :-D

What??

Go on, where is it? Under the passenger seat?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: The job........finding the battery :!: :-D

What??

Go on, where is it? Under the passenger seat?
Yes, in the video, the first instruction for removing/replacing the battery is remove the headrest from the passenger seat! I was looking to jump start the old Xantia, looking in the engine compartment for the battery and couldn't see it. Thought it must be down behind the scuttle, an a la Vauxhall Corsa where you have to remove the windscreen wipers and scuttle to access the battery. Anyway abandoned the Picasso and pulled up Luton's finest, clagged the leads on the normallly placed battery and fired up the Xantia for the first time in months.

Did a bit of research later and found out it was under the passenger seat.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

The irony of, on what is a bigger vehicle, the fact that it has been located there is amazing! :rofl2:

It also helps the handling in this very sporty :rofl2: model!

Although surely they should set a weight limit for the seat due to its proximity to arses.

That video is funny and entertaining, and I was viewing it as it was being linked to the thread in the previous post.

It's an informative video made all the more worthwhile watching by the humour content.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I may be wrong but seem to remember reading that there are a pair of terminals in the engine bay specifically for jump starting.
Never been near enough to a Picasso to see for myself though.
NewcastleFalcon

Yes you are right Steve, here they are. It would be nice if it was totally obvious which was +ve and which -ve, eg by a nice red sheathed cable for the +ve.

The little plastic cover's heiroglyphics are not a simple + or - either!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Finding any of the bespoke parts for the oddball in-between first and second gen only made for about six months with the bits they had rattling around in the factory Renault 11s! Only car it ever took me two months to find a CV joint for...Ended up selling it for that reason, wasn't a spec of rust on it and it was a lovely motor to drive - just an absolute swine to get parts for.

Xantia heater matrix I think has to be high on that list as well, given it's definitely under the E-type Jag category of "take the whole car apart first."

...Said Jag being the only car I know of that requires you to drop the back axle to adjust the handbrake cable mind you...

Just thought of another one...Changing a headlight bulb in a 107. Technically not difficult - but does require you to have six inch long, two dimensional triple-jointed fingers. I figured out after a while that just unbolting the headlight was easier than trying to do it in situ. If you've got the Morette twin lights in, it's even worse as the dip/main unit is set even further back leaving you even less clearance between the back of the light and the suspension turret.
Last edited by Zelandeth on 16 Nov 2015, 21:22, edited 2 times in total.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Yes you are right Steve, here they are. It would be nice if it was totally obvious which was +ve and which -ve, eg by a nice red sheathed cable for the +ve.

The little plastic cover's heiroglyphics are not a simple + or - either!

regards Neil
If it's anything like the lady that I work for's Merc, the Neg will just be an anonymous post sticking out of the bodywork not far from the + terminals.