I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:And here it is , happily resident :-D

The mugs give some idea of scale...my traction avant is about 1 mug wide in comparision :) ( or roughly one "Matchbox")

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it's of no particular scale... It's slightly smaller than the red 205GTi following it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sent to me by a friend in France...

This one seems to have hit a wall...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Looks like its stuck to the wall of a "Brocante".

No co-incidence there, the Citroen H was an iconic character in the French TV Series "Louis La Brocante".

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Sort of a French "Lovejoy" but not on a BSA Super Rocket :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

H Vans (in their normal role!) spotted at the NEC Classic Car Show today :D

Also spotted this coffee machine!

Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They were chucking one of those out at work a while back. Would have taken it but it is far too big for my kitchen. Went in the skip.
Did get the dishwasher though, hardly used.
There were two huge American fridge freezers, microwave cookers, gas ovens, an induction hob and god knows what else.
Most of it found good homes before it landed in the skip.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Shame that Steve but those machines do take up a good bit of kitchen space.. If I had one I'd have no room for anything else!!!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A 1956 Citroen HY van gets the "Wheeler Dealer" treatment
Series 12 Episode 16
Work Completed:

Standard engine swapped with 2.1L Ford unit, trafficators refurbished with LED units, rusty bodywork treated and resprayed to white, standard transmission swapped with synchromesh unit from later HY Van, inverter charger, auxiliary battery and additional 240V electronics fitted, additional support braces, insulation and hygienic panels installed, headlight bulbs changed with modern units, interior refurbished, modern seatbelts fitted and wheels refurbished.

Notes: Purchased from a collector in southern France as a barn find that was used as commercial vehicle (£4,500). The Ford engine used is a bored-out 2.0 liter engine from a Ford Transit. Converted into a modern commercial vehicle. Restored car taken to a garlic farm in Isle of Wight.

pretty rough example at the start!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Shame they decided to use foreign bits in it... They could have used a PSA engine rather than a Fraud one at least...

I'd love to see an ES9 V6 in and H Van!!!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Never had any experience of putting a different engine in a vehicle, but a different engine will no doubt require all sorts of modifications.

Have come across the Ford engine being used on a Citroen H Van conversion before, maybe its of a size and orientation that just fits the easiest.

Dont know what would have to be changed to put an XUD in one. It is transversely mounted on the standard fwd arrangement in cars, and may be too "wide" in an HVan.

All the other architecture, gearbox, diff, driveshafts etc I would assume are all thrown out of alignment when a different engine to the original is used. It may be interesting to see what had to be done to mate the Ford engine with a relatively ancient HY gearbox and align the other driveshaft paraphernalia correctly.

Like I say, know nothing about it as of now, but to turn an H van into a semi-practical, reliable vehicle an engine change is probably a sensible thing to do.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote:A 1956 Citroen HY van gets the "Wheeler Dealer" treatment
Series 12 Episode 16
Yes its on youtube

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The days when an engine / box swap involved little more than fabricating mounts and adjusting the prop shaft are long gone!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote:The days when an engine / box swap involved little more than fabricating mounts and adjusting the prop shaft are long gone!
Yes, as all of us doing Activa V6 conversions know only too well :twisted:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I am most happy to report the Yapp Wines H Van is back in it's usual place on the A303 :D

It is sporting a tatty black radiator grille now but otherwise looking none the worse for its recent encounter with thieves...

The Yapp Wines H Van is a bit like the Ravens in the Tower of London.. When it's not there the world does not seem quite right...
Jim