Ever sheared off a bleed nipple?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Ever sheared off a bleed nipple?

Post by Zelandeth »

Only manual column change I can remember driving was in a Bedford (CA?) van which had a three speeder. First time I'd driven one, exiting the bus station in Dundee and trying to keep up with my mate who knew where he was going - was an experience!

Catastrophically uncomfortable thing...think I spent most of the trip with my right foot on the door step and my left foot on the throttle once we were out of town...

Edit...was about to click submit when I remembered that the Trabant uses a column change too doesn't it? If so that's two cars I've driven with one.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

We had a D plate Bedford Midi 8 seater for the boats car which had a column change. I think it was an Isuzu something with Bedford badges on it. It was an unreliable, uncomfortable piece of junk which fell to bits, literally, and was scrapped at 6 years old
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Best column change (and bench seat) I experienced was French.. In a Renault 16 TS...

That was a 100% lovely car...

One that left a lasting impression on me given it was getting on for 35 years ago now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I like nothing more than a bit of nostalgia, paddling about with long gearsticks and mechanical linkages, clutches and accelerator pedals with cables, bit of heeling and toeing, and even some unnecessary double declutching. All part of the driving experience.

Lewis Hamilton wont have to bother with those kind of pleasures, its all done from the steerinng wheel!

The floor mounted manual may become an endangered species. The mini 850 may well increase further in value as there can be fewer beter examples of imprecise paddling through the box with an unnecessarily large gearstick :!: and an unecessarily small accelerator pedal :!:

All right I can push buttons on my Picasso Steering wheel to faf about with the radio, but I still enjoy the old manual change.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't you just love that red interior :D

I fondly recall the Mini switch extensions.. I had those, along with every other Mini owner, on my first Mini...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:I like nothing more than a bit of nostalgia, paddling about with long gearsticks and mechanical linkages, clutches and accelerator pedals with cables, bit of heeling and toeing, and even some unnecessary double declutching. All part of the driving experience.
Regards Neil

I used to have a U900 Unimog as a daily driver at work. Changing gear was like stirring a cup of tea. I never did work out how many usable gears it had - it had a 6 speed main box, a splitter, a crawler box, and a super crawler box..... and before anyone starts trying to work it out, not all the gears could be selected in all the boxes :roll: I did put it into super crawler first once for a laugh - it is no exaggeration to say you could have put a snail in front of one of the tyres and it would have outrun the 'mog :-D A magnificent beast it was.... the Unimog.... not the snail :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Image
:rofl2:
:rofl2:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

ditto ^^^^^ :rofl2:
bobins wrote:
I used to have a U900 Unimog as a daily driver at work. Changing gear was like stirring a cup of tea. I never did work out how many usable gears it had - it had a 6 speed main box, a splitter, a crawler box, and a super crawler box.....
Nice colllection of pedals knobs and levers to play with!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :shock: Learning to drive a Unimog must take some doing!!!!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Apparently the designer kept pet octopi!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:Gosh :shock: Learning to drive a Unimog must take some doing!!!!
Pick a gear lever - any gear lever :rofl2:

From memory, the top left red lever was for crawler / super crawler, the white patterned one might have been the splitter lever, the black knob bottom right was for 2WD / 4WD / 4WD difflock (could be changed on the go :) ), somewhere else in that lot will be the reversing lever and the PTO lever...... and then there's the other lever for which its use I've forgotten :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: Pick a gear lever - any gear lever :rofl2:
That is something else :twisted: I'm speechless!

I am enjoying this thread :-D

James, you're right about the Octopus :wink:
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote: Pick a gear lever - any gear lever :rofl2:
That is something else :twisted: I'm speechless!

I am enjoying this thread :-D

James, you're right about the Octopus :wink:

And all that groping for gear levers with the right hand as they were all left hand drive :shock:

Somewhat unbelievably, I had two different cars crash in to me at different times. If you're going to hit another vehicle - don't hit a Unimog. One car suffered a dented 'D' pillar where he just pulled into me whilst overtaking at slow speed in traffic - the bumper hit him just below roofline :-D The other car was completely written off when it failed to take a corner and was stopped by me - the 'mog only suffered a tiny paint scratch on one of the wheels :rofl2: