Dash Cams...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Dash Cams...

Post by CitroJim »

Milton Keynes has to be fertile territory for those perpetrating such crimes due to the relatively high speed and density of traffic along with the almost constant negotiation of roundabouts...

Personally I find driving in Milton Keynes absolutely exhausting for just that reason and avoid wherever possible.. If I must go anywhere in MK I go by bike...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Peter.N. wrote:The latest Which? report lists a couple of 'best buys'. The best buy was Nextbase in car cam 402G' £125 on line, the only other one they recommended was 'Trancend Drive Pro 200' at £86 which they rated as good value but doesn't perform as well as the Nextbase.

If either of those are in your price range it will save you taking a chance on any of the dozens of others there are.
I have the Nextbase 402g in my car and Dawn has the Transcend Drive Pro 200 in hers, to be honest there's nothing between them really, the only real difference being that the next base has batteries whereas the Transcend has a capacitor so in the long term the Transcend might well be more durable. The Nextbase has GPS tracking to display your speed whereas the Transcend does not, whether this is a good/useful thing is open to debate but can be turned off if you prefer. Some reviewers complain that the shock sensors go off too easily but on a hydraulic Citroen this isn't a problem for either cameras

I bought the cams due to travelling along a certain section of the A406 North Circular every day where I appear to be one of the very few drivers who drive as if I actually have passed a driving test and have licence that I intend to keep.

One thing I discovered is that dash cams appear to "transmit" radio waves to the extent that they block out the signal of DAB radio no matter where the DAB aerial is placed, it was driving me mad until I googled the subject.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: I bought the cams due to travelling along a certain section of the A406 North Circular every day where I appear to be one of the very few drivers who drive as if I actually have passed a driving test and have licence that I intend to keep.
:rofl2:

Actually no, that is very sad :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Why should you get traffic jams in a huge place like Australia? :wink:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A sad fact of poor infrastructure planning, community behaviour, employment trends, lack of affordable public transport (and poor coverage). You learn to merge at 50+MPH with barely 2 feet between bumpers. Like the Péripherique, too, you may not be able to stop safely after a minor scuff or tap. Lose a mirror or get nudged, keep driving, note the number plates if you can.

Luckily there's little in the way of "crash for cash" here at present.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is quieter than that in Dorset!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Peter.N. wrote:Is quieter than that in Dorset!
That's living in the "Grockel Zone" for you :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

You're kidding? :rofl2: They just begun a monstrously big roadworks operation *** that has caused absolute chaos to our (south/east Dorset) part of the world. While drivers work out alternative routes (which are few and far between, I'm now seeing rush-hour traffic well out of hours.

The road layouts here are a joke as it is - we have a so-called Bypass that dumps leads everyone into the middle of Christchurch town.

The A338 Bournemouth Spur Road is over 40 years old and the foundations are failing - the base of the road is crumbling and not providing a suitable foundation for the road surface. Between 6 September 2015 and 31 May 2016 the stretch of dual carriageway between Ashley Heath Roundabout and Blackwater Junction will be completely rebuilt.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

At some point those sneaky local authority camera cars will be available, and if they left the camera in them when they are sold, well that would be a very useful dash cam!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

MikeT wrote:
You're kidding? :rofl2: They just begun a monstrously big roadworks operation *** that has caused absolute chaos to our (south/east Dorset) part of the world. While drivers work out alternative routes (which are few and far between, I'm now seeing rush-hour traffic well out of hours.

The road layouts here are a joke as it is - we have a so-called Bypass that dumps leads everyone into the middle of Christchurch town.

The A338 Bournemouth Spur Road is over 40 years old and the foundations are failing - the base of the road is crumbling and not providing a suitable foundation for the road surface. Between 6 September 2015 and 31 May 2016 the stretch of dual carriageway between Ashley Heath Roundabout and Blackwater Junction will be completely rebuilt.
Christchurch was a lovely town, until it got inundated with all the cars avoiding the Bournemouth roadworks!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wish my son in law had had a dashcam. :9
Just had his Alfa GT Cloverleaf written off by a tipper truck changing lanes and not seeing him.

There may be an upside to this though, two of his kids that came to Cosford with me were extremely impressed by trainman's C6 and are trying to 'persuade' him to get one :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Wish my son in law had had a dashcam. :9
Just had his Alfa GT Cloverleaf written off by a tipper truck changing lanes and not seeing him.
That's a shocker Steve, at least he's OK...
Jim