Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia VSX

Post by elma »

No you're white estate and blue hatch aren't you?
I didn't notice you, I'd definitely remember a Xantia that clean.
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

Went round to the craigside around 6ish coming back I just caught a glance on my right of it. Mum lives in tan o Bryan. Iam from Stoke and war doing my monthly visit.white 98 desire hatch.
elma

Post by elma »

Thats a shame, I was starting to think the blue car was local. If you're ever up here stuck for tools or something give me a shout on here. My tablets never far awayaway and I've got most bits for Xantia emergencies. Likewise if you fancy a coffee and Citroen chat.
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

Ok will do due over in another month or so.
elma

Post by elma »

Not a lot happening on the car front this week. Red could do with a clean. Elma's got a puncture though so we're all off the road. I have to wear a sling on my right arm for a few days and its driving me mad. Banned from fixing cars, cleaning them and driving. Its going to be a long week with lots of naps.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Put Big Brother on 24hrs a day....you will get better very much quicker :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma

Post by elma »

Big brother didn't do it, I found a (bad) show called street outlaws about American street racing. I've watched far to much of that now.
I finally got back into the car yesterday after a frustrating wait. To my horror there's a new terrible rattling, appears to be the turbo pipes so no big deal. Also the suspension and steering is bad, in fact dangerous, its amazing what Ive got used to. The fronts hard and the backs all over the place. I'm about to check all the return pipe flows and I expect I'll be back looking for advice this evening.
elma

Post by elma »

Issues mostly resolved, NSF wheel was loose. Obviously happy that it was an easy fix but prity annoyed it happened in the first place. I can only blame myself as I'm the only one who touches the car.
Return pipes to lhm tank were all correct, not check solenoids yet.
I'm convinced now that the pressure reg is kaput. I've got all new spheres and I just can't get power from the brakes or correctness from the suspension. 2nd new acc sphere today and a bleed resulting in no change. I would like to test the cut in/ out pressure but I don't have the equiptment so will borrow the one from green as a confirmation test.
elma

Post by elma »

I have removed the spoiler today. It's left some nasty holes and marks but having seen on zelandeths blog the effect of re clear coating a Xantia roof I'm fairly confident I can get it looking good. Ever since Malcom sent me a birth certificate for the car and I realised the spoiler was aftermarket its days have been numbered.
ImageImageImage
Towbars next, I need to replace the plugs and the bash plate as they look awful. The electrics don't work either, is there any advantage to twin electrics if you pull trailers but not caravans?
ImageImage

I have to revise now so no more car today. I'll wash it tomorrow in my extended revision break.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024

Post by Zelandeth »

Is it aftermarket aftermarket or an actual Citroen one? Only ask as I wouldn't mind one for mine (think the S2 cars look better with the spoiler personally) so have been keeping my eyes half open for one.

I've been slowly working through re-coating of my roof, though it's on hold just now until the trees that surround us stop shedding pollen...all of my cars look like they're covered in bright yellow sand just now!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma

Post by elma »

I'm not sure, its a bit scratched but nothing you couldn't deal with. I'll look over it for some markings. All I can say for certain is its not the activa one. Paint code kjw Hermes red.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024

Post by Zelandeth »

Hmm...slightly different colour then (Dante Red here) but again nothing a couple of hours with some paint can't fix...

Really need to get some proper paint for Gabrielle anyway to sort out her poor scuffed front bumper...this would be a good excuse!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma

Post by elma »

It is a genuine Citroen spoiler Zel. Still no pics yet, will happen shortly.

I've made progress with the car over the last few days and its spat out its dummy a little as well. Good things first, I adjusted the front ride height which was 3mm below its lower tolerance. The front suspension began to perform better, although not correctly. I also fiddled with the hydractive again and discovered that whilst the car seems to be in hard mode it will go into harder mode if I remove fuse 8. So I am getting the 2 modes, I just can't hear the solenoids and its to hard.

This brings into question if I have the right spheres fitted which I will be checking. I know the front centre sphere is correct and wonder if the corner spheres could have such an effect. I still don't feel the pressure regulator is cutting in and out when it should though.

On the bad side of things my ns wiper came loose and my remote locking has stopped working. Bit baffled on the locking as both keys seem to work (red light working) and the central locking works but I can't operate it remotely.
elma

Post by elma »

I've sorted out the remote locking now. The diode had snapped a leg on the remote. I stole the one from the dysfunctional spare remote and now have a single working one. I need to look into sorting the spare or replacing it but it's not really a priority.
ImageImageImage

While I had the soldering iron out I decided to visit the other central locking problem which is the compete lack of it on the nsr door. I had a spare unit that came with the estate that showed no signs of working. The parts don't seem to be serviceable but considering that mine was headed for the bin I thought I'd split it open and see what was going on. It turned out that the motor was seized, as you would guess from the rust. I put 7mm spanner on it and slowly spun it for a while, spraying contact cleaner in periodically. After a few minutes it loosened off and felt normalish so I bench tested it. Worked fine so reassembled and gaffa taped back together the remains of the case. I've not had a chance to fit it yet but the unit tests ok with a 12v supply now. I intend to order a new motor and service the one in the car more neatly so I can refit it. I think the motor will likely cost 1/10 the ebay price for the lock unit so, if done neatly, the car could have that new locking noise on all the doors for under £20.
ImageImageImageImage

I had one other little job I fancied doing on my little revision breaks which was the wire ring exhaust gasket. I got the old one off, breaking both bolts and then found the kit was wrong. So I have compressed the old washer back on and bodged up the best fitting I can from the 2 kits. Be warned if you buy one off ebay the guy that sells them does the whole kit with a 66mm gasket or the gasket individually at 59mm for a 1.9td. I'm guessing 59mm is correct and uses shorter fittings. I can't sort this out until Wednesday as I have my exam tomorrow and must pass. The cars grounded until I've been to the factors as the exhaust fumes are coming out of the bonnet.

The front spheres are wrong as well, I have fitted IFHS XA 50 FH but should have XA 45 FL. I checked the rears and their markings don't come up on google (SS143). I can't remember the make so it's difficult to check. My thoughts at the moment are I know the 4 centre spheres are correct, I know the 4 corner spheres are wrong and I think that the pressure reg is set too low through age related wear like Stickies Activa. That totally explains my hard front, soft back and rubbish brakes. I've been barking up the wrong tree blaming the Hydractive, it works.

How wise is it to swap the pressure reg and pump with green, which rides perfectly? I don't really want to take bits from a working car incase I break it but I drive the one that wobbles and has bad brakes.
elma

Post by elma »

I passed my last exam today so I'm a qualified electrician now! I start my new job in 3 weeks so there should be a sudden influx of new car parts shortly. The Mushroom farm hasn't worked out, it is a dream of mine so will be revived when my balance is in the black again. The 3d printing is gaining steam and will continue.

Tomorrow is set to be a car day. I intend to fit the repaired door mechanism, sort out the exhaust gasket, clean it and assess what I can take care of during the forthcoming service.