All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember helping somebody to move a car that had been parked under a tree for about a year. As this was in Reading you can guess how dirty it was (including the glass). He had taken half an hour to get the windscreen slightly smeary (and you still could not safely look through it). I applied some Anti Static foaming cleaner, and after another half hour it was possible to see clearly through all the glass. The car was still filthy (it turned out to be white under that grime, but I couldn't tell), but it was now safe to drive.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Unread post by Trainman »

Mr Hallworth has just sent me a picture of his latest V6..... The boy needs help :shock: :shock: :shock:

Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Unread post by DHallworth »

Indeed!!

Need a word with trading standards though... There was no ES9J4 in sight!! Bit of miss selling going on there Mr. Dyson!!
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Is it a 90 degree or 60 degree V6?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Owning a couple of the previous model, the reliably isn't quite es9 either. Both have needed replacement batteries (fortunately Dysons original exorbitant pricing has moderated with the availability of clones), one needed a new motor under warranty and the other has just needed a new 'bin' due to worn electrical contacts.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

One of my Nephews runs their IT dept at their HQ.......
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Mandrake

Unread post by Mandrake »

Northern_Mike wrote: I'm surprised these small capacity, high output engines haven't been seen earlier in family sized cars. The 660cc Japanese Kei cars have been pushing out big power for their size for years thanks to forced induction. Didn't the Daihatsu Charade GTti have 100bhp from 1 litre nearly 30 years ago?
I doubt it. I had a 993cc 3 cylinder '84 Daihatsu Charade Turbo and it was 68bhp. Still went like stink though as it weighed nothing. :-D

Maybe some of the later 1 litre Charades were more but I think 100bhp from a 1 litre Charade in the 80's is pushing it...
Simon

2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1978 CX 2400
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
Northern_Mike

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: I'm surprised these small capacity, high output engines haven't been seen earlier in family sized cars. The 660cc Japanese Kei cars have been pushing out big power for their size for years thanks to forced induction. Didn't the Daihatsu Charade GTti have 100bhp from 1 litre nearly 30 years ago?
I doubt it. I had a 993cc 3 cylinder '84 Daihatsu Charade Turbo and it was 68bhp. Still went like stink though as it weighed nothing. :-D

Maybe some of the later 1 litre Charades were more but I think 100bhp from a 1 litre Charade in the 80's is pushing it...
The 1987-1993, 993cc Charade had 100bhp and 96lb/ft of torque, a power-to-weight ratio of 122bhp/ton. Given that an old Renault Pushrod lump with a carb was coaxed to give 86bhp/litre in the 5 GT Turbo, it's no surprise that Daihatsu got 100bhp/litre out of a then-modern lump.
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Well, not much has changed up here really... Everything seems to be running as it should.

The Activa has done a couple of trips since being taxed, although neither of these were very far. The C6 had felt slightly held back and has had a lumpy idle from start up for a few seconds so I replaced the fuel filter and it has totally transformed the car. It's being a joy to own again at present, and is averaging 31mpg. On a run, it's up to 42mpg.

Steve visited the other day and had a drive of it and reckon'd it was a good 'un as well :)

Looking forward to having a good run to the Northern in the Activa next month now though :D

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

When is the Northern David?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

CitroJim wrote:When is the Northern David?
28th-31st May Jim..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Northern_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:When is the Northern David?
28th-31st May Jim..

Perfect, free for that one... Visa permitting of course...
Jim

Northern_Mike

It's my birthday on the 30th so I'm not. I fear it would be too big an event for me to cope with.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 25 Apr 2015, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Well, I decided this evening I'd give this a try and see what happened.

I took the glovebox out of the Activa and removed the old CPH. I fitted the new one and started the car to make sure it would still run. Happily, as the engine ECU was brand new and unlocked it did.

I then went into the CPH with the Lexia and reprogrammed the remotes and keys for the central locking, when prompted I entered the Key Code for the new CPH (the one that was removed from our old Xantia HDi before it was scrapped). After I'd done this I tested the remote central locking and am pleased to report that it worked perfectly. I then went into the menu to initialise the new CPH, I was asked if I had an alarm, if it had a secondary alarm (or something along those lines) and did I want an audible beep when it was locked. After answering these questions it prompted for the key code again and reprogrammed the central locking remotes and the transponders in the keys.

I tested the central locking again with both remotes and ensured that the car started with all 3 keys, it still did.

Further down in the menu's for the CPH I selected the option "Initialise Engine ECU" after being asked if I was sure it prompted me again for the key code, after entering this I was asked to switch off the ignition, it then said "Dialogue in process" and after about a minute it said "Complete".

I've now got a working immobiliser, 2 working central locking remotes and 3 working keys, all coded to the CPH (Texton Box) from another Xantia.

Whilst I realise this was only possible because I was using a brand new, uncoded engine ECU, I can confirm that it does work.

I can't understand why my old CPH stopped accepting the key code though, I had used it in the past to code the keys but for some reason this time it refused to accept it as the correct code.

I was also pleased to see that when running a "Global Scan" in Lexia I've not got a single fault on any of the ECU's in the car :)

Whilst I had the car running today with the glovebox out I noticed that there was a lot of air coming out of the side of this box in the dashboard...

It's been crap since the heater matrix was done actually, in the winter months it was awful at defrosting the car and when using the air conditioning it just doesn't seem to have as much force coming through the fan as it used to either. I've got a funny suspicion that the box in question is the heater box? I've also got a suspicion that I'm going to need to remove the dashboard to get at it :(

David.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Mandrake

Unread post by Mandrake »

Hi David,

Glad to hear that you eventually got that new Engine ECU coded and the immobiliser working. :)

One question though - how did you confirm that the immobiliser is actually working ? The only concrete tests as far as I know is to either deliberately un-code the transponder on of the keys (leave it out during a recoding session) to make sure it can't start the engine, OR unplug the cable to the transponder antenna around the ignition lock (not that difficult on a S2 where you can drop the bottom half separately) and then try to start it after it having been switched off and the doors locked for a few minutes.

If it can't start with the transponder unplugged but then starts immediately when you try again with the transponder reconnected you know for sure the immobiliser is working.

No faults reported on your global scan - but half the ECU's didn't respond either, so not a fair test! :lol: I find to get all the ECU's to respond (especially air-con) you need to stop the engine and restart it just before running the scan - that usually works for me.

For your heater - what the gap in the picture shows is the foam gaskets are completely missing or disintegrated! :shock: There should be a very thin foam gasket bridging the gap all the way around but they can go missing during disassembly or disintegrate with age.

I suspect my Xantia has a similar problem because the air output from some of the vents (especially the demister) is pathetic, and I think the usual cause is the foam gaskets falling apart so that all the air ends up dispersing behind the dashboard rather than coming out of the vents... (lots of noise but no puff)
Last edited by Mandrake on 26 Apr 2015, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1978 CX 2400
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD