Classic for under £10K

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Tax-exempt classic for under £10K-what would be nice?

Post by Northern_Mike »

Zelandeth wrote:
Audi_Mike wrote:£10k will buy you a burnt out DRK (one of only 59 ever made) and enough left over to rebuild it!

Oh that's sad to see, looks like a lovely car too.

At least the fire was put out pretty quickly so it sounds like the car can be saved. What engine do these run?
This has an 1108cc Renault 4 engine in it. This particular one has a big valve head, lightened and balanced bottom end and rods, and a reprofiled camshaft. I've had over 110 mph out of it.

I'm waiting for the insurance assessor to come this week and see what he says. It needs for sure all the engine ancillaries, brake master cylinder, gear linkage, all fuel piping, carburettor, battery and dizzy replacing. It needs a complete rewire of most of the front end, then it needs the engine out, the bulkhead aluminum sheet removing or blasting and cleaning up, and a front end respray. It won't be cheap as it's all glass fibre, wood and aluminium and it's presumably more skilled than just flopping a couple of steel panels on.

Vorsprung berk Technik
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:Sorry for the quality. It's a grotty day today...

This is the tall Salmon's building with the Heritage Centre just visible opposite... Compare with the old B and W photo earlier:

Sorry for the crap photography and a Vauxhall being in shot :twisted:
Well Newport Pagnell and Sunderland have at least one thing in common, they look pretty grey on a grotty day!

But that hasn't stopped me entering my own genuinely grotty photography in an arty "pride of Place" competition run by "The Caravan Gallery"

So this was my photograph, on the said grotty day, of Roker Pier, from "the Bungalow Cafe"

and this was the variation on a theme I submitted for the competition, hopefully is different enough from the rest to get it noticed :)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Sad to see the DRK get toasty, perhaps more because of the "heirloom" attribute.

I'd suspect the brass infeed pipe to the carburettor, came loose in its pot metal housing - it's a known fire hazard with other Froggies of the era.
Brass bit of Carb is still intact Adam. The top of the carb has melted though :/

I have no idea what happened. It worked fine and didn't catch fire last time I used it. I imagine the fuel filter must have leaked or the pipework from pump to filter as the pump is intact down low. Of course, everything else from there to the carb has gone so there's no way of knowing.

I think they'll write it off. It's repairable but it won't be cheap.

Vorsprung berk Technik
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The brass doesn't melt, but if it backs out enough the fuel weep can sustain a fire. Got me pondering insurance on a couple of toys.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Well Newport Pagnell and Sunderland have at least one thing in common, they look pretty grey on a grotty day!
:lol: I must take some more photos of the place on a lovely day then... That part of Newport is not its best side :roll:

Although it's only my adopted home town I love the place to bits. It is a great place to live :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you didnt have any of that orible cloth bound fuel line anywhere in the engine bay did you hun, as thats a fire waiting to happen,

and you are meant to wax your legs not singe it off, the fire wall obviously worked then ????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

The new classic car show has a little section on good buys for classic cars. In this weeks episode QW plumped for this, not tax exempt yet. The best version according to QW... a post-1990 big bumper one with power steering, under 50,000 miles and full service history, completely unmodified and original, and in oak green.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well its about time on page 9 of the thread to consider the Citroen CX, a car which has perked up a bit of interest for me.

Recently I have been looking at some options for weekends and short breaks-campers and caravans to be precise. After quite a bit of searching I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that anything described as a "motorhome" or a "camper van" or even "mini camper" is overpriced even for 15-20 year old vehicles. So what about a "crew-cab" van, or mini-bus to fit out DIY style with the bare essentials for an impromptu weekend away. Its a possibility with the right van, but I think something smaller would suit us better, pretty much the VW Transporter/ Camper sort of size. Even the Mazda Bongo and Citroen Romahome, appear to fetch high prices.

So I got to thinking about estate cars capable of getting a small double mattress in the back.

Maybe this

But most definitely this (£5,995 carandclassic.co.uk)

(6ft 11inches x 4ft 1.5 inches loadspace when rear seats are folded down)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Been there, done that at MVT shows......3/4 nights

Used a C5, a Pop-Up gazebo (with sides) and two Wire/cloth Army beds. (Men in car.....but a blow up mattress would work for co-ed sleeping arrangements and give more head room :oops:

Drive up....park C5, remove Pop-Up gazebo, erect it OVER the tailgate of the C5, remove stove and kettle and light, make beds in rear of C5, Pump us suspension and sit down on the bumper and drink tea. Go to Bed, sleep and in the morning, tea 1st, beds into Gazebo, raise seats, lower car drive out, put $$ items in boot, close gazebo side, have a nice day....repeat.

Very comfy, very dry, and easy with a pop up (add 4x guide ropes yourself) and no bending over all the time in a tent
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

I like it-nice creative approach :) . Clears up the "Where would I get dressed? question as well! You could even get a gazebo with georgian windows.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

And if it gets too cold, close the tail gate and crack open a side window to prevent condensation. I used a £25 one got on ebay, it had Arched windows, white with a green stained roof 8-[

I rally rate it, soo000 very much easier than a tent and all the gubbins that goes with it and after all your not camping in the wild west or deepest winter on the tundra.

A good reason to justify a cool car like the white Safari as well
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

I like the DIY approach at minimum cost, but over in the US they do this type of thing for $200 ish

-So how much room has a C5 with the seats down got? I suppose you could manufacture a little platform thing to support any feet dangling over the edge at full stretch :)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A Xantia estate converts into a double bed with the rear seats folded.. Surprisingly spacious...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

seeing the Volvo and CX above reminds me of my old H reg CX 2.5 TRI Auto safari and in white as above ( looks identical to mine )

when we first got it and went to a supermarket, i parked next to a Volvo estate and the safari was actually longer that the Vovlo
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Apparently those sitting in the back seats (of the Family CX) had to use an intercom system to talk to the driver, the distance was so great!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!