Xantia steering rack leaking badly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matt H
My Cars:

Xantia steering rack leaking badly

Post by Matt H »

Well, as if my own Activa springing a coolant leak wasn't enough, it seems that my Dad's Activa has also decided to throw a spanner in the works, in an even more annoying way!

It's had a slight weep from the front Activa ram since we bought it a few month back, but in the last couple of days the leak decided to get a lot more serious. Getting it up on a ramp allowed us to see the full extent of the problem - it is in fact a new leak from the steering rack.

Close-up...

Firstly, what is it that's likely leaking? Secondly, Is there a way of repairing it in situ, or is a recon rack needed (in which case, should I just go ahead and do that V6 conversion now? :lol: )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia steering rack leaking badly

Post by RichardW »

Need to clean it all up to see where it's actually leaking from. IIRC the pinon seal can fail and then it leaks. You can put new seals in the pinion valve, but it's not exactly easy! The brake valve leak off is also right above there, and if that leaks it can throw LHM everywhere!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Matt, am I correct in thinking the leak is on the nearside? It's hard to tell from the picture but if so then what appears to have the LHM drip on it is the steering ram leakage return collar..

It could be a leak from way above though, perhaps the security valve or anti-sink valve under the LHM reservoir..

As Richard says, a good clean-up is needed to be sure...

If my assumption its the nearside than the pinion valve is likely OK but if it is the culprit then Pleiades are the best route to repair. As Richard says, the resealing is a tricky job.

If it's the steering ram then the leakage return collar can be replaced with an XM one - the same as used in Activa ram repairs - but getting the ram off to do the job is tricky... It might be easier to remove the rack complete...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is the price and part No. for the XM ram seepage return collar Sir Jim mentioned

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95640212 LEAK BACK UNION 6.55 GBP 7.86 GBP 7.86 GBP

i have fitted these in situe on the likes of the BX before now, why is it more difficult on the XANT ????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for posting up the part number Malcolm :-D
citronut wrote: i have fitted these in situe on the likes of the BX before now, why is it more difficult on the XANT ????
Because it's an Activa the roll corrector mechanism is in the way of the bolts that hold the ram to the rack :twisted:

Everything is harder on an Activa Malcolm!!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...