Car audio questions.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Car audio questions.

Post by waynedance »

I have some Kenwood speakers in the rear and front at the moment that were a direct fit to the existing car wiring loom but are crackling at volume.

Have a decent Kenwood head unit 4x50w wil so many setting.

Looking to replace the speakers and was looking for suggestions, what is the best to get taking in to consideration the car has factory tweeters in the dash. 2 way 3 way or even 1 way ???

Oh and already have a bass box in the boot.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Re: Car audio questions.

Post by bxzx16v »

I would say component speakers would be the way to go for sound quality,not sure on price. You'd need crossovers too if your keeping your tweeters. Unless they have their own filters fitted, it's been a few years since I was into the car stereo stuff, have fun and enjoy whatever you choose.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Car audio questions.

Post by elma »

Cars have different things, e.g. my Xantia has components (separate tweeter) in the front and co-axial in the rear (tweeter built in or 2 way). Personally I would go for components if they fit, so definitely in the front for you and check the rear. 2 and 3 way are just how many elements there are to a coaxial speaker, I prefer 2 myself and there is no right answer. Look for above 50w (so the Headunit can't blow them) 60w or thereabouts is fine, but make sure they say 60W RMS. The RMS is important or the measurement is nothing to do with the 50W on the head unit. Finally, if you're after good sound, make sure the frequency range of the speakers covers 200Hz to 20,000Hz or higher. Human hearing range is 20Hz to 20,000Hz, but your Sub covers 20Hz to 200Hz.
Do you know which Kenwood speakers you have and have you tried different speakers or head unit in your car? It is possible that the head unit is crackling at high volume, the speaker wires are too thin for the load or badly routed by a power cable. Just things I'd rule out before spending money as with the Sub the speakers shouldn't need turning up to the point of distortion to get enough volume.