Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: Elmas Xantia VSX

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Kunifer is, effectively, the formula for the pipe. Copper (Cu), Nickel (Ni), and Iron (Fe).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Kunifer is, effectively, the formula for the pipe. Copper (Cu), Nickel (Ni), and Iron (Fe).
Which initially at least makes it all soft and bendy... It does work-harden after a time...

Elma. good work today. The job is going well :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut

Post by citronut »

one reason i use kunifer is if you forget to remove it before cranking the engine over ( how do i knopw :roll: :oops: :wink: ) you can still yank it out,

the other reason is as Sir Jim says its soft and bendable, so you can easily shape it how you require it,

if you dont want to buy a roll of it,
ask you local garage/workshop, as they will probably sell you a foot or so for not very much
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
elma

Post by elma »

It's done, not the easiest job in the world. Well I say it's done I've got the new belt on and tensioned it. Pins have been removed, engine rotated and pins reinserted. Just need to put it back together now. I was a bit fed up so I figure I'll do it tomorrow rather than break something.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Elma, well done =D>

Yes, good idea to stop when you've had enough and start afresh again later...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Yeah I go all thoughtless and things get broken. Those Bahco grips are awesome, I used them for undoing the water hose clips which I have always found a pain on Xantias. I've tested my glow plugs and replaced 2 with 306 parts and fitted a CD player whilst I've been busy. All the engine side of things is very clean and I'm just washing up the timing cases now. Hopefully by lunch time tomorrow this will all be over and I can move onto my strut tops soon.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Delighted you've found the Bahcos to be good Elma :-D
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Helo, sorry for the lack of an update recently. The cambelt and water pump etc are all on and ok. There was a minor problem where the engine refused to start when I finished. Easily rectified by plugging the stop solenoid back in. My strut tops, boots and seals have arrived and will be tended to shortly. On a slightly sadder note I no longer have a job. I'm going to get the brake hoses, track rod ends, p bushes, tyres and tracking sorted out then have a rest until I have an income again. It's quite good timing really, the cars that close to sorted I only have to worry about fuel and insurance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear about the job Elma, That's a bit harsh so near Christmas but I reckon if you show the same skill as you do with the car in all other areas of yoour life a new job is just around the corner...

Good work on the car too... Excellent!
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Thanks Jim, this is North Wales though jobs are thinly spread and so underpaid most aren't worth taking. I knew this was coming so not going to get carried away with emotions or anything. My manager from my team went on maternity leave, I was loved up until then, the cover manager made my life miserable and I'm glad to be gone. I have a little gourmet Mushroom farm I have been working away at for some time with a local Farmer. We have just about got the infrastructure up and are finishing it off now with an ETA of end December. I was always planning on quitting my job in Feb or March anyway to commit to the Mushrooms once we start fruiting them. I have been offered the opportunity to go to Sierra Leone on a 6 week rotation to perform blood tests and help with the Ebola problem. The adventurer in me is very tempted by this but I'm also so frightened of going I am likely to pass on the offer. It should all be ok though, I have plenty of stuff to ebay for a few months and before I started at my old work I had a really good relationship with the local temp agency, possibly with the building work we have done on the farm and the interested potential customers the Bank will offer me a loan to cover living costs for this period.

Back with the car anyway, weather looks good today. I have a few things to do but if it holds out I'll be fitting the strut tops this afternoon. I'll put down a proper update re the cambelt etc this evening too.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

With an attitude like that you will have no problems (well, none that you cannot overcome).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hope the strut top work went well Elma and it is really good to hear you have life well sorted and planned..

A gourmet mushroom far sounds incredibly interesting... I love mushrooms...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Cheers Jim, strut tops not done yet unfortunately. Whenever I'm at home it rains. Today I have a weird problem. My heater fans and my heated rear window have stopped working. The fans are dead in every setting and the rear window switch is dead, except it lights up with the headlights still. I've checked every fuse in the car and under the bonnet and they are all fine. Any ideas where to look next? I'm thinking relay for the heated screen and resistor pack for the fans. Seems weird they both died together though and could be connected. They were fine last night and dead this morning.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ah-Ha! Common S1 Xantia fault Elma.. The ignition switch has failed... The clincher is that both the blower has heated rear window have flailed... They both run from the same set of contacts on the switch..

Sometimes you can get the blower to burst into life by wiggling the ignition key..

There's a modification you can do to add a helper relay and this thread will help enormously as it details how to do the mod..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=24786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S2 Xantas rarely suffer as many had the relay fitted straight from the factory...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

That'll be it, I thought the resistor was dying as the speed of the fan has been a little wonky since I got the car. 306 to the rescue again, plenty of relays in there. It'll have to be done tomorrow regardless of weather as it is driving me mad already. The hills around me are snow capped now and it is bitterly cold so I'd better get my finger out with the strut tops as well.

Didn't know you were a Mushroom lover Jim. Have you tried exotics? Any suggestions or requests at all? I'm planning Shiitake, various colour Oyster, Maitake and Enokitake as the regulars with some special ones grown as I am able/fancy. I think I'd grow you anything for a ride in your Activa, Lions Mane if you haven't tried them are very nice.

If anyone knows where the link to post links as a single word is would you post a link to it on this blog please.
I want to start doing it but can't find the post which I know is there because I've read it.