Heated steering wheel or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Heated steering wheel or not?

Post by Stickyfinger »

qprdude wrote:Heated steering wheel indeed. My first car had a bakelite steering wheel, ice cold in winter, diameter of about 20 mm, single speed heater with all the power of a fly's fart which delivered a whiff of tepid air to either the windscreen or the feet, but not both at the same time. Slippery plastic seats with coil springs poking through, holes in the bulkhead to let extra cold air in, wipers operated by exhaust pressure which almost stopped when the revs went down in top gear (third), 2 mm thick soundproofing carpet which almost reached to the doors (but not quite). The air conditioning was operated by winding down the windows and the only rearview mirror was interior and about the size of a Mars Bar. Heated steering wheels bah humbug.

LUXURY !

Try a Healey 3000 in the winter when all you really have are your boiler suit (sealed at the neck) and a fart or two dependent on dinner !
The heating equivalent of VW's 6volt lighting

Wind Up windows, agg you big Jessey ! winter is for Tonneau covers ya big soft puff'der !
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 30 Nov 2014, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

qprdude wrote: Heated steering wheels bah humbug.
Totally agreed. Nothing wrong with the right gloves if you can get them, and the Missus appreciates what a glove box is really for. :-)
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

John Plum wrote:
qprdude wrote: Heated steering wheels bah humbug.
Totally agreed. Nothing wrong with the right gloves if you can get them, and the Missus appreciates what a glove box is really for. :-)
Boxing gloves?
John Plum
My Cars:

Heated steering wheel or not?

Post by John Plum »

vborovic wrote:Try this if your hands are that picky in winter: http://www.amazon.com/TruePower-261-116 ... B0076WUD2K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waste of money - cheap and wires all over the place, but appreciate the suggestion.
I'd rather mod the blower outlet to send a warm wind over the wheel. No, I think I'll stick to myglarens suggestion, Boxing gloves.
John Plum
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I'm sure my X7 blower outlets can be directed onto your hands on the steering wheel.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

If John sits behind your car's steering wheel, definitely ... :D ...
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Is prefer to sit behind my own steering wheel when driving my own car, it's easier to reach the pedals. #-o
Last edited by John Plum on 30 Nov 2014, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

qprdude wrote:I'm sure my X7 blower outlets can be directed onto your hands on the steering wheel.
Sure, if it can reach my steering wheel, I'd be mighty obliged. Thanks. :roll: :-)
Last edited by John Plum on 30 Nov 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Certainly. Send your steering wheel to me by parcel-post and I'll get the blowers straight onto it.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Stickyfinger wrote:
qprdude wrote:Heated steering wheel indeed. My first car had a bakelite steering wheel, ice cold in winter, diameter of about 20 mm, single speed heater with all the power of a fly's fart which delivered a whiff of tepid air to either the windscreen or the feet, but not both at the same time. Slippery plastic seats with coil springs poking through, holes in the bulkhead to let extra cold air in, wipers operated by exhaust pressure which almost stopped when the revs went down in top gear (third), 2 mm thick soundproofing carpet which almost reached to the doors (but not quite). The air conditioning was operated by winding down the windows and the only rearview mirror was interior and about the size of a Mars Bar. Heated steering wheels bah humbug.

LUXURY !

Try a Healey 3000 in the winter when all you really have are your boiler suit (sealed at the neck) and a fart or two dependent on dinner !
The heating equivalent of VW's 6volt lighting

Wind Up windows, agg you big Jessey ! winter is for Tonneau covers ya big soft puff'der !
Had a Sunbeam Alpine, series 4 in the early '70's. Used to blast down to Brighton at the weekends. Have to admit, it had a clip on hard top for winter.
Tonneau only for the Brighton and other trips though. Boiler suit? Nah mate Granddad tie die "T" shirt and a pair of velvet flares.
Rick.

John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

qprdude wrote: Used to blast down to Brighton at the weekends. Have to admit, it had a clip on hard top for winter.
Tonneau only for the Brighton and other trips though. Boiler suit? Nah mate Granddad tie die "T" shirt and a pair of velvet flares.
50 miles is bad enough, but try a trip to Scotland in freezing winter on a motorcycle without fairing.. although I did innovate with a pair of skateboard pads to shield my knees
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

qprdude wrote:Certainly. Send your steering wheel to me by parcel-post and I'll get the blowers straight onto it.
OK, but would you mind doing the steering if I yell directions? :-s
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Here's my first ever 'selfie' ever featuring the cap I mentioned earlier... :spit:
John Plum
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..................s**t that gave me a fright !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

John Plum wrote:
qprdude wrote:Certainly. Send your steering wheel to me by parcel-post and I'll get the blowers straight onto it.
OK, but would you mind doing the steering if I yell directions? :-s
Just hook up a XBox to the wheel nut and connect over the internet, hands free......so you can sit on them to keep them warm.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider