Heated steering wheel or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Hi Folk,
I can't decide based on research, and value your experience: should I upgrade my Xantia - even get a c5 post 2009, to get a heated steering wheel for winter OR buy a pair of driving gloves? :-)
I have a glove box, of course.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Heated steering wheel or not?

Post by vborovic »

I never knew the C5 had the heated steering wheel? ... maybe for the East Russian market - Siberia? ... :D
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Oh... But the exclusive must have them surely, the Xantia does, does it not?

Also, perhaps if I go for gloves, I should add a needle and thread to my tool box?
John Plum
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

To be honest, first I'd heard of the feature on both cars ... though, I may be in a climate that's not that extreme in the winters, so such cars were never imported here ... I'll do a check in the Service Documentation regarding the heated steering wheel, in the C5 X7 (2008+), but currently I'd say it doesn't exists ...
Last edited by vborovic on 30 Nov 2014, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I would agree that it's not an option. OK, my exclusive is 2008 (X7) and certainly doesn't have it.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

No heated steering wheel on any xantia.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

C5 X7 Exclusive here too, and not certainly heated steering wheel. Actually that "metal" on steering wheel feels quite cold in the winter...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xantippa wrote:C5 X7 Exclusive here too, and not certainly heated steering wheel. Actually that "metal" on steering wheel feels quite cold in the winter...
I had a Puma with a metal gear knob. In the winter I often worse just a left glove because it was that unpleasant to touch. I don't like wearing gloves at all usually.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Definitely no heated steering wheel on the C5 X7 (according to the Service Documentation), just different leather/color trims ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Heated steering wheel indeed. My first car had a bakelite steering wheel, ice cold in winter, diameter of about 20 mm, single speed heater with all the power of a fly's fart which delivered a whiff of tepid air to either the windscreen or the feet, but not both at the same time. Slippery plastic seats with coil springs poking through, holes in the bulkhead to let extra cold air in, wipers operated by exhaust pressure which almost stopped when the revs went down in top gear (third), 2 mm thick soundproofing carpet which almost reached to the doors (but not quite). The air conditioning was operated by winding down the windows and the only rearview mirror was interior and about the size of a Mars Bar. Heated steering wheels bah humbug.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

John Plum wrote:OR buy a pair of driving gloves? :-)
I have a glove box, of course.
If you post up your National Insurance number, I'll look up the correct part number for the gloves to fit your hands :-D Will you be requiring a flat cap to compliment your gloves ? :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Try this if your hands are that picky in winter: http://www.amazon.com/TruePower-261-116 ... B0076WUD2K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The op could get a pair of the heated socks that hellrazor found for me and put them on his hands lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

northern_mike wrote:
Xantippa wrote:C5 X7 Exclusive here too, and not certainly heated steering wheel. Actually that "metal" on steering wheel feels quite cold in the winter...
I had a Puma with a metal gear knob. In the winter I often worse just a left glove because it was that unpleasant to touch. I don't like wearing gloves at all usually.
That's just it... Unpleasant. On a long drive, even dangerous. And gloves, they have to be just right or you're not taking the driving seriously at all - kinda irresponsible really. :-)
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

bobins wrote:
If you post up your National Insurance number, I'll look up the correct part number for the gloves to fit your hands :-D Will you be requiring a flat cap to compliment your gloves ? :lol:
Good idea, no good buying off EBay, or nowadays from a shop in a package you're not allowed to open, or try on bee cause as I was told when I tried to return a pair of relatively expensive real rubber gloves two weeks ago because the 'medium' quoted was rather hit or miss, 'it's a question of hygiene, we're not allowed to sell them once the packet has been opened, they might have been worn'
I appreciate how dirty people's fingernails often are - even when casually shopping, but really the whole business if shopping is impossible when buying something defeats the purpose. Anyway, on that occasion, I got them replaced because after I said, " lets not argue or get trade description involved for £2.99 - but I shall on principle because even the little scale on the packet indicating medium doesn't conform with the glove, and my hands are 9" which is medium. You are responsible. "

Thing is, a proper glove shop and glove maker is in order for driving gloves, and if not, maybe it has to be a heated steering wheel, although I agree that is all "humbug"
- gloves should do.
Yeah I like the idea if a bespoke part number for my gloves, I'll
Pm you my NI number if I can't get hand surgery in the NHS to fit whatever glove comes out the packet.

Flat caps OK in tweed, but I'm saving up for Christmas, and I have an ex-Italian army jeep drivers cap... Superb comfort, pure wool and cheap.
Last edited by John Plum on 30 Nov 2014, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum