Another fine mess

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Another fine mess

Post by xantiagreen »

I just can't seem to get the car working without fault, I get one thing fixed and 5 other faults pop up.

Just this morning I was hoping to fit the door card and parts back on after fixing the driver side window regulator. I opened the window to adjust the mirror and closed it, as it reached the top I heard a crack and the window fell to the bottom (luckily not smashed, turn out the slider block must have been a crappy reject I ordered it from Turkey, so now I'm waiting for a refund and placing order with UK seller or there's one in Poland.

Just before the car was Mot'd and serviced last week, for some reason I decided to take the MAF sensor apart and clean it with Halfords electrical contact cleaner gave it a good clean, let it dry overnight and fitted it the day of MOT and service, initially on start up it was ok, but I kept stalling a few time and once I got the car back everything seemed ok until I noticed that there was a very very slight delay in the engine responding to speeding up (never happened before I poked around) today I could see more greyish than white smoke from the exhaust 2nd gear 1200 revs and smoke changed to third 20mph and smoke visible from car behind's headlights once up to 30-35ish everything clear.

Still got the track rod ends, bushes on wishbone, lower ball joint, drop links to be fitted both sides and vibration damper.

What am I doing wrong I've treated the car like a newborn, have I damaged the MAF I'm 90% sure it's that (could it be EGR) because everything worked perfectly before I donned the "I know what I'm doing" act, what a tool #-o Is there a specific type of MAF sensor (if it is the faulty part) that I need, Euro Have these on offer not sure if ones better than other:

Or do I have to take the car for a good run on the motorway to get the newly cleaned MAF sensor working at the new correct rate of air coming in and fuel mix with the ECU. :idea:

Cheers
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Another fine mess

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is not unheard of for some contact cleaners to leave a residue, to protect the contacts and act as a lubricant for sliding contacts. There are cleaners specifically for MAF units;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SENSO ... 1c46f5e61f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:It is not unheard of for some contact cleaners to leave a residue, to protect the contacts and act as a lubricant for sliding contacts. There are cleaners specifically for MAF units;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SENSO ... 1c46f5e61f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would this the CRC cleaner get rid of the contact cleaner and further clean the sensor where the contact cleaner couldn't, I 'll have to rder it and pray it works. If I need a MAF which would you recommend from the 3 above.
Just checked Halfords website F&Q's and people who bought it used it on MAF sensors and some reviews say it doesn't leave a lubricant residue.
Why the excess smoke from the rear.

Cheers James.
Last edited by xantiagreen on 18 Nov 2014, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Killed my maf by cleaning it or should I say a colleague did. VDO is the better option I tried the cheap ones and got a VDO from Euros.
Last edited by waynedance on 18 Nov 2014, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have not (yet) had to use any; I just remembered reading about it somewhere here on the forum. As it is designed to get years of accumulated road crud off the MAF it probably could shift the contact cleaner.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

waynedance wrote:Killed my man by cleaning it should I say a colleague did. VDO is the better option I tried the cheap ones and got a VDO from Euros.
Did you experience the smoky haze from the rear even at low to mid speeds after the clean, did you (colleague) spray MAF cleaner or something else.

Cheers Waynedance.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The VDO unit is OEM.
Used to be Siemens but they spun that part of the business off as VDO.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Never got chance to drive it when the maf went as the eml light came straight on so I replaced it.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear of your woes Faz :(

In my experience these thing happen and they certainly have with me on both mine recently. It goes in spates and after a period of lots of things all breaking it's followed by a time of comparative peace and freedom for a few years.

Just ride through this current wave and you'll be fine :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

best thing to clean the MAF is carb cleaner, as you need to clean/clear the oil/carbon from the sensor,

i use this one from GSF

http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

CitroJim wrote:Sorry to hear of your woes Faz :(

In my experience these thing happen and they certainly have with me on both mine recently. It goes in spates and after a period of lots of things all breaking it's followed by a time of comparative peace and freedom for a few years.

Just ride through this current wave and you'll be fine :wink:
I'm going to plod on and hope to get her well again before Christmas, will be hard to stop poking around but I'm going to check the forum before something else goes wrong. :roll:

Thanks for that Jim 8-)
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

citronut wrote:best thing to clean the MAF is carb cleaner, as you need to clean/clear the oil/carbon from the sensor,

i use this one from GSF

http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will look at cleaning it again with the carb cleaner if it doesn't settle by end of today, taking it to Citroen mechanic for him to make sure it's nothing else.

Cheers Malcolm.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Is there any place I can get hold of new Hoses for the car as intercooler pipe may be split (not sure) also the other hoses intake and so on from turbo. What other vehicles are a match for the xantia is it any year 406 hdi 110.

Thanks
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think the hoses may be unique Faz, I think they're different between the 90 and 110 too..

They do go and certainly were available from Citroen not that long ago but very expensive...

They can suffer from very small splits that do allow boost to leak and that will upset the MAF sensor and potentially cause smoke and poor running. Sometimes you can hear the leak as a windy whoosh when accelerating hard...

One to check is the little stub hose between the end of the plastic pipe that runs under the engine and the turbo...

A temporary repair can be carried out using a bicycle puncture repair kit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They are different between the 90 and 110. Mine had split on the underside of the top hose. Repaired with a drink can of the correct diameter stuff down inside the hose and a bicycle puncture kit, superglue and duck tape around the outside.