V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Mandrake

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Mandrake »

Oil temp looks a bit too high (haven't seen mine go past 90) but 90 on the coolant if you were thrashing it on the motorway then slowed right down for slow traffic isn't unusual IMHO. Remember the S1 coolant gauge is not calibrated the same as a S2 - the mark at 9 o'clock is 80 degrees not 90! This can make it seem higher at a glance if you're used to a S2 gauge.

When I drove mine back from Steves (in 28 degree weather to be fair) I was seeing the coolant gauge poke just above 90 at times...

If you measure the bottom hose temperature on a Lexia you'll see it gets up to 97 degrees before the fans come on to low, at which point the dash gauge will show around 90.

I'd be checking to make sure the low speed fan mode hasn't failed.

By the way LPG cars should run plugs one heat grade COLDER than petrol, not hotter. If it does actually have hotter than normal plugs it might start preigniting on long hard trips, that could easily make it run hottter as it will force the ECU to retard the timing a lot...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP

Post by KP »

It worried me more as it was sat closer to 100' marker most of the time unless I used the heater matrix as a radiator which makes me think something is amiss as that shouldn't normally drop the temp that much if the stat is open. I'll check the level later. Might try getting the engine hot and draining it then flushing the rad. Ideally I'd want an 83' stat in there if I was keeping it long term as it keeps the engine in the lower end of the safe zone :)
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

I don't get all of this, the only time the gauge went to that sort if level was when the car had been 'thrashed' or if it was low on coolant. Now given that I had replaced the anti freeze only a couple of days before the bump, I suspect the level is a little low.....

But hey, I stand to be corrected, after all I'm no mechanic....
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Fingers crossed nothing serious with the cooling system [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

If it is low coolant, check the bottom drain on the drivers side of the radiator, it was a pig to get back in...
Steve

KP

Post by KP »

Well went out just to move it so I could get another vehicle on the driveway :( and I now have what I can only describe as eeyore type sounds at low revs :(

Going to stick a video of it on the tube and put a link in here but didn't get back home before darkness arrived so I'll check coolant and stuff tomorrow.

Sounds like a pulley has ceased or is letting go somewhere :cry:

Well let's see what daylight brings :)
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

There was some mention of a pulley a bit ago, but I didn't get round to it, so that is a possibility, the auxiliary belt was a bit loose, could be something to do with it, again, didn't get round to looking and after the bump, I forgot all about it.
Steve

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

More than likely the crank pulley Will... Paint a line across it and see if it break’s after a couple of starts and stops...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

shouldnt affect the temp though, as we all know the cam belt drives the wate pump, which incedentally was NEW along with the belt in the summer!

So was the heater matrix..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would not be concerned about the oil temperature, but the water temperature is unusually high. Assuming that this was open road or motorway running, then I would guess an air-lock (particularly as the coolant was recently drained).
KP

Post by KP »

Well I've found the correct plugs should be BKR7EIX for an engine that's modified and runs lpg. Ie it's running a bespoke map as it will be doing for an LPG ecu controlled system.

This could help bring down the running temp a little bit but I think the airlock theory could be a possibility but tomorrow will show it up, I have spare citrogel stuff should it need it. Could also be the infamous header tank as they never seem to last long...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: I would guess an air-lock (particularly as the coolant was recently drained).
I'd be tempted to agree Mike...

I always find they need a good top-up after the first decent run after a coolant change as previously unbled air-pockets are dislodged.

The level can drop quite substantially...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Was the third party assessor left alone with the car at all?

It's possible they took the reservoir cap off to check coolant condition and didn't refit properly. If you're not familiar with PSA radiator caps this isn't hard to do. It's also possible a cooling fan or relay is duff.
KP

Post by KP »

Well I was going to look at this tomorrow but a spanner has been thrown in the works and I'm off to Carlisle instead! I need more space!!!
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Post by DHallworth »

Can't believe you've broken it after only having had it a few hours :shock:

:rofl2:
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel