Citroen Automatic Gearbox fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suggest the year and motor will determine if the gearbox is an AM6 or AL4. As described, the faults sound very typical of the pressure regulation solenoid. Common, easy and fairly affordable fix if it's not ignored.

These are as Ebay item 191372332830 - a business I have dealt with before.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen Automatic Gearbox fault

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Tom, if you can get your daughter to give you the VIN umber, and then post it up here, members with the relevant access will be able to see what the C8 had when it rolled off the production line (and this includes what model of gearbox).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Thanks for all the info guys really helpful. Will find out tomorrow and come back to you

EDIT Just been told three of the codes were

P0380
P1345
P1519

The oil leak is coming from the main engine seal area, which is obstructed by the gearbox, so he cannot see where its coming from. The guy who did the cambelt told her this needed replacing to stop the leak so I assume there is some form of gasket between engine and gearbox, but don't know as am not a mechanic.
Last edited by tomthered on 23 Oct 2014, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Does the sliding door have brass plungers on it that contact brass plates? Is so, it could be work giving the brasswork a good polish, as sometimes a poor connection here will affect the door electrics.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Will have a look at the door over next day or so HellRazor.

EDIT @Addo I cannot believe that a little round thing like that Solenoid valve could cause an Automatic Gearbox Fault!!

FURTHER EDIT The Vin from V5 logbook is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] Hope this helps determine if its AM6 or AL4 gearbox
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's an AL4 auto. The fault codes cited all relate to the engine, and reflect likely use of a non-genuine scanning tool.

The solenoids are a common problem, they buzz at 100 cycles per second to control the hydraulic pressure (of your transmission fluid). The internal clearances are microscopic; too small in fact. With wear to metal parts of the transmission, the energised coils inside the solenoids act like magnets and attract/trap the superfine steel powder, making the solenoid "sticky".

Replacement by a competent indy is not hard, if they're quick it should be under two hours labour. Also have the transmission's own ECU software scanned to make sure it is the most up-to-date version.
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

That sounds a lot better price wise. Am just waiting for a member to offer the use of a Lexia and I will put the codes up as soon as I get them and thank you all for your help up to now. :) :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tom, I asked for a smell of the oil from the leak to try and determine if it's from the engine or the gearbox. Autoboxes rarely leak but there is an oil seal behind the torque converter that could possibly leak..

By smell it should be quite easy to differentiate the source of this leak. Gearbox oil always smells horrible and nothing like engine oil.

How bad is the leak? To fix it may well involve the removal of the gearbox unless the leak is from well above and the exit point f it is being seen rather than the source.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Does the AL4 have a banjo joint behind the left hand wheel arch liner that could leak like the 4HP20 ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:Does the AL4 have a banjo joint behind the left hand wheel arch liner that could leak like the 4HP20 ?
Not as far as I know Simon but that's good point as I'm sure it'll have connections for a cooler somewhere about its person..

Worth checking around the 'box for leaks too as where the leak appears is usually a way away from the source..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No. The input bushing can chop out (my theory is this occurs when the gearbox is driven faulty for a long time and the clutch linings start to fail, creating imbalance) and this takes the seal with it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That happens with the HP20 too Adam...
Jim

tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Jim I will try and have a look myself this weekend and see if I can smell the oil myself. If the gearbox has to be removed to fix the seal or oil leak I assume thats a time consuming exercise?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, bear in mind it's extremely uncommon for a seal to let go without there being a contributing element.
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Have tried messaging several members for help with the Lexia diagnosis but it keeps saying the member is no longer available, despite them having posted in October 2014!! I have tried Handyman as I have been trying to get hold of his brother, cook in fat, in St helens near to us. I have also tried Robert12 and chlorate but no joy with any. Can anyone suggest how to get hold of them please?