Citroen Automatic Gearbox fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomthered
My Cars:

Citroen Automatic Gearbox fault

Post by tomthered »

My daughter has just been ripped off buying a Citroen C8 because she needs an 8 seater car. She bought it from a lockup in Manchester but the "garage" wont give her money back as they say the business was sold to another guy so he bears no responsibility for her money.

It shows an Automatic Gearbox Fault on the display. This fault manifests itself by (in her words)" as though the car is stuck in gear and it increases its speed very slowly and is not moving through the gears." Its as though its in a limp mode and a manual her husband has downloaded says that if there is a fault it stays stuck in 3rd gear.

Can anyone advise if there is a solution and if not, how long would it take to replace an Auto Gearbox as I have seen a reconditioned one on Ebay for £325 delivered. I wondered what sort of labour time to get an idea of cost.

In addition to this she has been told that the oil seal has gone, which I assume connects between the Gearbox and Engine. Is this easily replaced when the gearbox is out of the car? She knows this because she paid for a cam belt to be changed which has revealed the issue in the first place.

The other fault is on the sliding door and we have been told that could be a sensor which can be replaced for about £70. The door opens but wont lock when you press the close button.

She has said the main thing is to get the gearbox sorted so it runs right. I would appreciate and welcome anyone's comments please?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroen Automatic Gearbox fault

Post by CitroJim »

First thing to do with the gearbox Tom is to get the vehicle on Lexia diagnostics and see why it's dropped into Third Emergency Mode.

The reason may be quite trivial but without a diagnosis there's no telling..

This forum maintains a list of Lexia owners who will be happy to do the honours...

Get that done and then we'll take it from there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Jim they paid for it to go on a diagnostics but they say it wouldnt show anything up.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

tomthered wrote:Jim they paid for it to go on a diagnostics but they say it wouldnt show anything up.
If they didn't use proper Citroen Lexia diagnostics but used a generic code reader then that may be true but I'm sure a pukka Lexia would show something if it's stuck in third.

Are the sport and snow lights flashing?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It depends on what diagnostic equipment they used. Some generic readers cannot read the systems used by Citroen and Peugeot. The Lexia can, so I would check for members on the link Jim posted up, to see who is nearest you and willing to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Not sure but I do remember him saying something about a Snowflake showing but will ask him. With regards to approaching members for help with a Lexia what do you do, just send them a message? There is Handymans brother in St Helens and also Robert12 in Knutsford who are not to far away?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just send them a PM, and hope they are able to assist you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The sport and snow lights flashing are an indication the ECU has detected a fault condition that prevents the ECU correctly controlling the 'box so it drops into third gear emergency mode for safety.
Jim

tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

God these sound so complex!! I assume the Lexia would tell you what it was. Would you then have to replace the ECU or leave it up to an expert? I assume this is cheaper than a replacement gearbox?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well as he is watching this thread I would assume that Jim will give you a good answer. He knows these types of gearboxes better than most.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Tom, I think the C8 has the AL4 'box in which case there's some common faults that can cause your problem.

The ECU is a reliable device and very raely fails, if at all. Depending on what the problem turns out to be it's might well be straightforward to fix.

The oil leak is a potential worry. From where exactly and does the leaking oil smell really dreadful? Like week-old cat's pee?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jim, according to this website the C8 has an AM6 gearbox;

http://www.automatic-gearbox.co.uk/gear ... oCH_bw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Jim, according to this website the C8 has an AM6 gearbox;

http://www.automatic-gearbox.co.uk/gear ... oCH_bw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks James :-D Right. Sadly my knowledge of those is zero but the same basic diagnostics should apply in that a proper Lexia read should give a few clues as to the problem.
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, then hopefully addo will read this post soon.

Your knowledge of these 'boxes cannot be zero, as that would make my knowledge have a negative value! :lol:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

EDIT will accept you experts knowledge

Jim will check with daughter and come back to you