Xanti 2002 HDI power loss and cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xanti 2002 HDI power loss and cutting out

Post by Peter.N. »

If you see metal filings sticking out of the holes in the filter your lift pump is failing. You can take the filter off but then the seal doesn't work properly, you can fit an additional 'O' ring but the easiest thing to do is grind the end of the filter off, making sure to remove any swarf. It's not easy to clean as you will see when you get it off.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Cleaned and refitted it but yet to properly test it. All very clean, no metal bits or general muck at all, which is the good news :)
I sprayed with electrical cleaner (because I had some) and used an air line to blow this clear, I could see the vapourised diesel etc being blown out.

I refitted it, losing a torx bit in then engine nooks and crannies, and took a bit ok accelerator pressing to start which I put down to air clearing the filter.
Ran ok but did cut out, I disconnected MAF and all ran ok (previously connected or not it wouldn't run) so reconnected and seemed ok.
Disconnected the battery for a bit and restarted and ticked over ok for about 5 mins so, so far so good as they say.

I will take it for a run later tomorrow, any more problems and I will have another diagnostic done and if no conclusion I will replace the sensor anyway. Based on the can't get any worse principle.
The car's value here is about £2k if running ok despite mileage etc so worth spending the money. I just want my car back, has run 100% reliably for nearly 3 years.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Current state of play is, I started it yesterday but it took a while, lots of starter motor turning but I didn't press accelerator. Started with cloud of smoke, greyish and made your eyes water.
Disconnected MAF and tried again today and started ok.
I may try to get my Lexia working, bad connection on car somewhere, and try to diagnose it myself (when I say myself I mean with help from people who know what it all means).

If anybody can suggest any other things to check based on these set of results I would be interested, otherwise I will stick to the plan in my previous post.
Last diagnostic from garage said MAF ok but then again still not right.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The MAF is hard to test except by substitution with a known good one John and I've heard tales that some after-market ones are inferior and don't work as well as a pukka OEM one.

there is a rough way of testing it with the Lexia and the details escape me now but there is an option to view the air mass being measured by the MAF in some strange units..

If I recall correctly the volume should rise in a nice linear fashion from idle right up to high revs. Duff ones may be seen to be non-linear or stick at certain revs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you can check the DC resistance against a known good one Jim - but I don't know what its supposed to be.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Sorry for not posting progress but, despite being retired, I don't make as much progress as I might. So I only reply when someting significant has happened.
Nothing really significant has happened but.... I changed the MAF for the original one and the car now starts ok, this may be a fluke but it wouldn't start with the new one in place.

I haven't driven it yet as if I break down here in france on some narrow country road it is a nightmare, warning triangles, don't leave the vehicle unattended etc etc.
The car always seems ok until I have done a couple of 5 mile runs or so, then cuts out near the end of the second one.
Having had one pressure sensor replaced, the other one cleaned and now on the original MAF (which may have been ok) it may now be safe to drive. I will give it a go tomorrow.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Well........... Started it yesterday, took a few seconds but ran ok. Went for a run for about 5 mins and all still ok.
Started it again in the afternoon, started first time but now engine warning light back on. Could be a good thing as there may be something to find this time, last diagnostic was inconclusive.

I think I am back to square one (square two at best) as engine light on, not running right. Power seems ok when accelerating but will be off to the garage next week. I just want my car back, I miss it :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Get the ECU read on a Lexia as soon as possible John to catch the fault. If it was transitory it may clear after ten or so restarts and it might then be missed..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Off to the garage tomorrow, said I was slow getting round to this, and will report findings.
Last time I stood over them while they investigated, this time I will leave it with them till they have time to find a solution.
If they find what it is they will give a price for repair so not a problem.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

They finally got round to looking at the car (holidays here) and now when revving clouds of alternate/mixed grey and black smoke. Apparently tends to cut out when hot but not cold, they reckon low fuel pressure but are now trying to figure out why.
So they think it could be an injector and are currently waiting to do another diagnostic this afternoon when it cools down.
It has always had a leaky injector, ticks until 3200rpm then silence, so could have got worse. Would this have put the engine warning light on and cause these symptoms if it has really gone bad ?
I can buy these for 300Euro here (about £250) just need to make sure it is the right one, Citserv says 1980-93,-CV or -H8. Not sure what the last two digits / letters mean, I would guess a 1980-93 equivalent is correct ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

All the fuel pressure problems I have had were due to the pressure regulator on the pump, the filter gets blocked.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I know I might try them on that again, would that cause the clouds of smoke ? I always thought that was just injectors ?
I will give them today to figure it out then just try myself and fit the sensor as you have said, can't get worse.
Just another thought, the sensor on the back of the pump was spotless when I removed it, no dirt at all just like new. Would this have to be dirty to cause a problem ?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Well, here we go again. So far so good, as you said Peter they fitted the sensor on the pump and all seems well, should have just done it myself in the first place.
Interestingly they hadn't heard of that as such. when I mentioned it he said, good idea there is a good chance that is the problem.
The clouds of grey smoke seem to have gone away, no idea what that was about.
Left the car for a bit and started it again, lukewarm condition and had that strange 'can't hold the revs' problem again so knocked my confidence a bit.
Held as 1200rpm and kept increasing to 2000rpm then dropping back to tickover. Didn't try to stall so that is a positive thing, once warmed up a bit seemed ok.

Drove back ok, but then it always does for a while. I will take a spin out tomorrow and see what happens.
I must admit if I get any more problems I may have to give up and trade it in, don't want to but need a reliable car. It has been excellent for over 2 years, if I can trust it again I will keep it. Just not keen to go to the big city if I can't get back.
Hopefully this will be the end of these problems, like all things I notice every minor discrepancy now, that will go away in time though.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had that regulator cause poor starting, non starting when hot, going into limp home, and the engine light coming on. Since I removed the filter about two years ago I have had no problems.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Hopefully all is well now, I still can't figure out where the filter is as such though.
All that was done was to replace the unit itself, hopefully there is no filter still in there to cause problems. The car is on it's final warning.