Xanti 2002 HDI power loss and cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xanti 2002 HDI power loss and cutting out

Post by Peter.N. »

Mine was on a C5 and not to difficult to remove although space is restricted, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a torx or allen bit, that did it OK. Maybe its not so easy to get at on the Xantia.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

charentejohn wrote: How do I get the bolts holding it out ? Seems tricky to me as they are the usual ones right up against the body of the sensor.
I replaced one of these a week or so ago... It was a tricky job indeed. Access is terrible but it can be got at by removing the fuel filter...

The two T30 Torx Screws holding it will be found to be very tight.

Clean the surrounding area clinically.

You need a long T30 key on the end of a 3/8" drive and it must be long enough in its slimmest area to clear the regulator body. Attach a long extension to the Torx bit and to the end of the long extension (to bring it into some clear air) attach a small breaker bar.

Undo the screws carefully bearing in mind they are very tight and take care the Torx bit does not slip and round off the Torx socket as it's not very deep in the head of the screw.

The rest is easy but be aware the FPR is quite tight in its housing and will need gentle teasing out and very careful assistance from a small screwdriver working as a precision pry-bar.

I swore madly and wished I'd taken up stamp collecting....

Now I know the tricks though, I'd do another - possibly without swearing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm pleased to hear you have had that problem too Jim :wink:

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks guys, I think/thought mine were bolts as they have hex sides but didn't feel around to see if they had a torx bit inside the head.
I will take off the filter and see if I can get to it, supposed to be raining all day tomorrrow so good a time as any.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Just a thought - symptoms seems similar though not identical to a problem I had on mine, which turned out after much soul-searching to be the vacuum capsule on the EGR valve, which was causing all sorts of weird random problems. Don't check it by clamping/blanking hoses or swapping relays - just feet down the back of the engine, locate the valve and see whether the capsule has corroded to the point where the valve internals are now free to 'trombone' freely.

Not an easy job - couple of hard hours reaching and replacing the bloody thing - but not too dear. Worth a check!

Hope that helps.

Neil
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Will have a look as I will be covered in oil anyway, the garage messed about behind the engine so maybe they tried it, I will see.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just starting on this, the star bit explains why the spanner doesn't fit :)
I will remove the fuel filter holder too I think, for access, and may need to buy good quality star bits, I will see how it goes. Not rusted so how tight will these be. I hate these type of bits as they are easily damaged.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

John, you'll find them very tight..

Put the Torx bit in the head and then hammer on the end of it to firstly check it is fully seated and often a bit of percussion helps loosen them. It works ever so well on the piston caps on Hydraulic pumps,,,
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, I will look for a good quality bit tomorrow and give it a try. I will admit if it looks like I may mess up the screw head I may give it to the garage, then any damage id their fault so they will have to fix it.
I have shattered a couple of my cheaper star bits on solid bolts, so good quality is essential I think.

If they move after a tap and some pressure all well and good. if I chicken out then no doubt the confidence born of experience of the garage will tell :).
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Well, stuck again....................
Finally made a start having borrowed a good quality T10 torx bit, fits really well. Found small sockets to use with it.
So I take the two torx bolts out of the fuel filter bracket, as it is as much in the way as the filter, and guess what. It won't move.
So what is the secret to removing it, large hammer or is there a bolt I can't see, I have felt all around and thought it would just fall off when bolts removed but seems not.
All on hold again pending a solution, needs to come off for proper access.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

John,

All you need to remove is the filter housing itself. The bracket can stay put... It's annoyingly in the way but you can work around it.

The bracket in any case has more bolts holding it and one is well hidden. I think to get at them you need to remove the pump which defeats the whole object..

You can perhaps see why I got quite profane doing the job...

Another tip... The electrical connection to the regulator will be easier to disconnect/reconnect when the regulator is removed from the pump.
Jim

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, finally managed it with much muttering.
Next question is which filter do I clean again ? I have the unit off, very shiny probe bit with 3 holes around the bottom. They look clean so ok ?
Is the filter inside the housing, and if so how do I remove it ? I don't want to just start prising bits with a screwdriver. I think I can feel something just inside the opening the sensor came out of, like a thin metal collar that seems to turn if I try to move it, doesen't seem to want to come out though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

charentejohn wrote:Thanks, finally managed it with much muttering.
Yes, and I bet some of that muttering was unprintable.. Well done though. It's not an easy job at all..

The shiny bit I believe is the filter John. I can't help much more now as I just replaced the FPR with another but the replacement had no shiny bit on it so presumably no filter at all. Maybe the filter can be removed easily. I believe some have done this. I don't know for sure the answer to that one so I'll leave that one to my colleagues on here who have more experience of this device

One thing I did before reassembly was to blast some air from an airline into the housing just to ensure there was absolutely no dirt in there...
Jim

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, i will do that before reassembly. Looks ok but you never can tell, could be dirt out of sight, the holes all look clean.

I edited my previous post but it must have been lost, I wonderd if it is worth replacing the whole part ? I ask because the garage used a lexia (I think or at least a good diagnostic box) and said there were no problems showing. Question is if this sensor was failing (good days and bad days) would it show up on a test ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

charentejohn wrote: Question is if this sensor was failing (good days and bad days) would it show up on a test ?
On the basis of what we found on the car I swapped the FPR on, no the Lexia was no help at all John...

We did see varying fuel pressure readings but to be honest these was not much different after swapping the FPR even though the swap has been, up to now, successful in resolving the problem...
Jim