I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Infinite Granite

Re: I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by Infinite Granite »

Also, I'm down in South Devon. Halfway between Plymouth and Exeter really.

Any hints on what I should be looking out for her? Any hot spots of trouble?
Infinite Granite

Got some details on the van now. Built in 1957 (mother in law was 10 years out), it has a 1.9 diesel, 3 speed gearbox (good god?!?!), imported in 2009 from France and registered in November that year in this country. MOT out of date by over year now and hasn't moved for 18 and a half months.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

she still dont look to bad for a H, the worst bit i can see is on the panel by the head lamp, you can either by that hole section new, or find a used one
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Infinite Granite wrote:Got some details on the van now. Built in 1957 (mother in law was 10 years out), it has a 1.9 diesel, 3 speed gearbox (good god?!?!), imported in 2009 from France and registered in November that year in this country. MOT out of date by over year now and hasn't moved for 18 and a half months.
Ben, have you discovered a plate on your H with its date of birth on?

There is some good information on citroenhyonline history Not sure how authoritative it is but the most obvious thing about your H is that it doesn't have a split screen, and it does have a diesel engine which may suggest an early 60's build date.

Other bits of info pulled from HYonline which may be relevant.

"Around 1957/58 the Hand brake changed from a Hockey Stick arrangement operating on the rear wheels to a reverse handbrake solution operating on the Front Wheels. The handbrake operation on the front wheels catches out a lot of Garages who spend hours trying to pull off the Front brake drums with the handbrake applied!! If you have a Hockey stick style of handbrake take great caring when moving to the back of the van as it is easily knocked off so the Brakes release."

"In 1961, the HY DI and HZ DI were launched, fitted with a four cylinder Perkins diesel engine of 1,621cc capacity developing 42 bhp @ 3,600 rpm and rated at 7 CV. The six volt electrical system was replaced by a 12 volt, still via a Dynamo, one across the range"

"In 1964, a single windscreen was fitted to all models. Wiper motor updated. The Perkins diesel was replaced by an Indénor engine of 1,816cm3 capacity developing 50 bhp @ 4,000 rpm. These models were called HY-IN and HZ-IN."

"In 1966, the HY 78 and HZ 78 were launched, fitted with an improved 1,911cc petrol engine developing 58bhp @ 4,100 rpm, and a 1,600kg payload. Around this time, through developments in the engines, improved fuel quality plus a higher ratio gearbox on the HY78 and even higher on the HZ78, petrol consumption had improved to about 11 litres per 100 km (about 23MPG) and top speed was up to 101kph/63mph.

The Indenor Diesel engine grew to 1,946cc developing 56bhp @4,000 rpm but even in it's largest guise torque was poor, only 83 ft/lbs @ 2,250rpm as opposed to the 1,911cc Petrols 101 ft/lbs @ 1.750 rpm. Fuel economy was only marginally better than the petrol versions. All the Diesel engined versions were badly lacking in power with less torque than even the 1,642 Petrol!! The 1,621cc Perkins Diesel and 1,816cc Diesel were especially poor."

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Infinite Granite

wow. That is a lot of info, thanks so much!

Info I have was received from DVLA, can you tell me where the VIN plates are located?
NewcastleFalcon

This is extracted from the HY Online buyers Guide

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Infinite Granite

Neil you are a veritable fountain of knowledge! I'll pop into the workshop tomorrow and have a scan for the VIN plate and update you guys.

On a slightly separate note, this has to be the friendliest welcome to an internet forum I've ever had.

Cheers guys :D
NewcastleFalcon

Ben

The French plates on your van if I interpret this table correctly, would indeed equate to a 1957 registration number.

912 CW 64 can be translated as the vehicle being from Departement 64 Pyrenees-Atlantiques

the 912 CW bit is a sequential reference from 1950 which according to the table puts it in 1957.

when 999 CW 64 is arrived at the next number in sequence would be 11 CX 64 (or something like that)

Be interesting to see what the VIN plate reveals!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Claude arrived on page 17 of the thread, and created a new category for "I-Spy Citroen H Vans", those who have taken the plunge into ownership!

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Welcome Claude....... 50 points usually awarded for an H Van spot, but if one has appeared on you drive I guess you are in a different classification and have taken the plunge and are now a proud owner.

Thats probably worth a Big chief I-spy bonus in my view how about a straight 100 to get you started!
So Ben you are officially awarded with your 100 points! and to go with it how about a beer from this quirkily named brewery from the spiritual home of your van "au cœur du Pays Basque"

Can't beat a virtual blonde

Cheers
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

well, not exactly an hvan but an unusual spot...

Big Chief I-Spy likes and unusual spot, even if slightly off topic! This was at the Newcastle Quayside Sunday Market today. Its an R-Reg London TX1 taxi with 370,000 miles on the clock converted to house "2 green eggs", iconic Barbeque Equipment, beloved of Michelin-starred chefs.

Andrew Brown, the owner's story is here

Inspiring, and I wish him every success.

Now, I have probably whinged at the cost of "Street Food" in the past, but today our £4 for a pulled pork burrito from the BBQ Cab Co was money well spent....very tasty and filling enough for 2 when shared alfresco sitting on a bench in the sunshine.

Just as a matter of interest looked up some old taxi's on e-bay

This one's £1,995 and has only done 536,270 miles!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Lets hope there is not too much bandwagon jumping on like this though:-

regards Neil
Its happening.....KFC are going to go on "tour" with their airstream to 6 british Universities dispensing their promotional freebies, depending on which give them the most votes to promote their "Pulled Chicken" range.

the KFC Pulled Chicken tour

Give me the BBQ Cab co any day of the week...

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think this is a good thing. Whilst one might not agree with the marketing strategy, the vehicles will live on and be well maintained at least until KFC get bored of them, hence the next owners will benefit. I don't have a problem at all with using classic vehicles for this sort of thing for precisely that reason.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

another one as seen at the Paris Motorshow last Monday.....

currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

theres a H at the start of the current Heinz tomato ketchup add, i tried doing a goooogly search but cant find it #-o :o
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

Very Nice Black and White Police H-Van. I think it could have false plates on it though!

According to the points awarding convention thats another 51 points to you Old'uns!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey