Mike's C5 110HDi

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re:

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
northern_mike wrote:She never got sick in the hydractive Xantias or the Activas. Just the basic ones.
Despite being softer, a Hydractive 2 Xantia has better damping and body control than a standard Xantia. The ride on my new V6 after fitting all new spheres today is outstanding, very smooth, cushioned and yet stable without any motion sickness inducing float or pitching - I can't imagine anyone would get sea sick in it..
It's not a sea-sickness type thing Simon, others reckon it's simply not being in any physical contact with the road, some people's brains just can't deal with it. I have a friend who spends his life riding superbikes, yet he travelled, quite literally, 5 miles in my Activa and I had to stop so he could be sick. So very weird.

My missus will get sick at 60mph on a straight, smooth road with no body movement at all. Go on twisty bits, she's perfectly ok. She says it's just like morning sickness.

She drove the C5 loads this evening, not a problem.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote: It's not a sea-sickness type thing Simon, others reckon it's simply not being in any physical contact with the road, some people's brains just can't deal with it.
I know exactly what you mean Mike. I experience it to an extent on Pendolino (tilting) trains and any aircraft.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Re: Mike's C5 110HDi

Well, 550 miles in the last few days in the C5, and the more I drive it, the more I like it. It's actually more Citroen-like that you might imagine once you get used to it. It's definitely a big Citroen. It's showing 51.4mpg on the computer too, which is not bad seeing as Chris reckons it's a few mpg short of reality, and I've not been hanging about.

Apart from a few scratches, it's also pretty mint. It's a camp colour though. I thought it was silver. It isn't. Camp metallic lilac is more like it :-)
Northern_Mike

CitroJim wrote:
northern_mike wrote: It's not a sea-sickness type thing Simon, others reckon it's simply not being in any physical contact with the road, some people's brains just can't deal with it.
I know exactly what you mean Mike. I experience it to an extent on Pendolino (tilting) trains and any aircraft.
I'm no fan of the tilting trains Jim, I feel very strange on them. Not so much sick, as just unbalanced (more so than normal)

My flying issues have been cured by my recent expedition and my enforced incarceration in a metal tube flying through the remnants of Hurricane Bertha over the USA. There was bugger all I could do about it, so I just had to deal with it. It was not pleasant. On the way back however, I completely and utterly forgot all my fears and actually enjoyed the flight!. How strange is that?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

It makes a weird sort of sense. Flying isn't natural, so it worried people. However, by going through a scary flight (and not having any ill effects) your sub-conscious has accepted that flying is actually very safe, so it no longer is worried.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

The odd thing James is that up until 2004 I'd flown over 100 times and absolutely loved flying! That included landing in typhoon Ellen in Hong Kong in 1983 which was a real roller coaster of a ride for over an hour. What freaked me out was landing in a very wet, stormy Sao Paulo (the same runway the crash which killed 200 occurred on about 6 years ago in similar weather!) when we attempted to land 3 times, including actually being on the ground the 3rd time but clearly too far along the runway to stop so we took off again... The 4th time it felt like we just slammed into the ground, but at least we stayed on it. I thought my time had come when we didn't appear to be slowing down on the third attempt. It's the only time in my life that I've been truly terrified!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Mike, I'm really delighted you're so pleased with the C5 :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

It's still going well, and wifey has even got a little less sick in it. We've found that if she rests her arm on the door, or holds the handle, then she is miles better. Must be some weird thing with how some brains work with motion.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

That's good Mike, I guess if she didn't find a way then it would be a bit of a show-stopper really...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Oh no! The C5 has gone.....

All the way to Huntingdon! My missus has gone up there for the weekend and took it instead of the Berlingo! A text from her just now proclaims it was "perfect smooth journey".

Women.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Have fun sorting out Jessica's brakes. I hope that you are successful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

northern_mike wrote: All the way to Huntingdon! My missus has gone up there for the weekend and took it instead of the Berlingo! A text from her just now proclaims it was "perfect smooth journey".

Women.
At least she's happy :-D
Jim

Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Mike's C5 110HDi

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Have fun sorting out Jessica's brakes. I hope that you are successful.
I gave up on that idea. That can wait until Wednesday or Thursday.

I know now why the missus took the C5. The Berlingo is filthy inside and she knew damn well I'd have to clean it before I used it...

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

northern_mike wrote:I know now why the missus took the C5. The Berlingo is filthy inside and she knew damn well I'd have to clean it before I used it...
I think she might be getting her own back for when you cleaned the carburettor in her kitchen!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

northern_mike wrote: I know now why the missus took the C5. The Berlingo is filthy inside and she knew damn well I'd have to clean it before I used it...
That's women fir you Mike :twisted:
Jim