Advice on buying a C5 1.6 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Advice on buying a C5 1.6 HDI

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

mikesporting wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Mike, without taking the mickey, ask a Citroen C5 aficionado to show you around theirs, what things to look out for, might let you have a drive (so you can see how it feels), and (if possible) to come along with you when you look at one. Dealers love a newbie punter, as they can big up the car without letting on about the problems. A knowledgeable punter knows what to look for, and how much it costs to fix problems.

It is worth having a drive in one, to see how you like the ride. My cousin, Robert, doesn't like the ride in my Xantia, as it makes him feel slightly seasick, but Tamara loves it (her of the back problems).

I don't know any C5 aficionado's :?
If you were to post up your rough location, and ask nicely, I feel sure that there will be forum members willing to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mikesporting wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Mike, without taking the mickey, ask a Citroen C5 aficionado to show you around theirs, what things to look out for, might let you have a drive (so you can see how it feels), and (if possible) to come along with you when you look at one. Dealers love a newbie punter, as they can big up the car without letting on about the problems. A knowledgeable punter knows what to look for, and how much it costs to fix problems.

It is worth having a drive in one, to see how you like the ride. My cousin, Robert, doesn't like the ride in my Xantia, as it makes him feel slightly seasick, but Tamara loves it (her of the back problems).

Give us your approximate location and someone here in your vicinity may well step forward.

If it isn't too far away from you there is a rally in September that you could turn up at and ask there and most likely be offered the chance to drive one or two of them.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

northern_mike wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote: It is worth having a drive in one, to see how you like the ride. My cousin, Robert, doesn't like the ride in my Xantia, as it makes him feel slightly seasick,
This is a good point. One of the reasons I've given up on Xantias is that Mrs Northern_Mike feels sick in them within about a mile of setting off. She never had this problem in a C5 though, maybe the "damping" is better or more like a normal car.
When I find one that is reasonably priced i'll take it for a test drive and see how I like it :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

northern_mike wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote: It is worth having a drive in one, to see how you like the ride. My cousin, Robert, doesn't like the ride in my Xantia, as it makes him feel slightly seasick,
This is a good point. One of the reasons I've given up on Xantias is that Mrs Northern_Mike feels sick in them within about a mile of setting off. She never had this problem in a C5 though, maybe the "damping" is better or more like a normal car.
If its a major issue it's possible to tweak the damping of a Hydractive Xantia in soft mode to eliminate the "float" while still leaving a very good ride, I did it on my first (2 litre VSX) Xantia for a while although I eventually changed it back because I prefer a little bit of float..

Remove the large steel pipes from both Hydractive control blocks. Remove the plugs that the pipes go into with a large socket. Inside are two damper valves that will then lift out, one on each side - they're just like the valves in a sphere neck but they can be removed.

The centre bypass hole in the damper valves is 1.1mm. Solder the bypass hole on each side closed with normal electrical solder, (a high wattage or gas soldering iron is needed) then drill the hole back out to 0.9mm with a precision drill then refit the damper valves, plugs and pipes. Job done. 0.2mm is all it takes.

The soft mode will no longer have any float or overshoot and will feel more secure but will still ride very well by steel sprung standards. The hard mode is unaffected. Should be enough to satisfy anyone that suffers sea sickness in a Citroen.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Some good advice regards the C5 from everyone, I've had two a 2.0 hdi and a 2.2 hdi both series one cars with over 100k on them when bought privately for a very good price, never had any serious issues with either. My wife ran a renault laguna 2 at the same time as my C5's and tbh I preferred that myself. We had a laguna 3 after that and we were very happy with that, this would be my choice at the sort of price range your looking at with the 2.0 dci (150bhp) engine, get one with fsh and it will serve you well, I'd have another one in a blink.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I paid less than a grand for mine, it needed two tyres, a handbrake cable, two track rod ends, and a rear radius arm bearing for its MOT, when I bought it 3 months ago it had 2 months test. I got part worn tyres from a mate then decided to use the spare and a new tyre, and I did some of the repairs myself and a garage did some. It has cost just over £1300 now. I bought it unseen off eBay, but had foned the seller before I bid for it. I would value my one privately at maybe £1800 if I got lucky. However this car is a keeper for me, it's my second c5 I have previously owned a 2.2 Hdi which I also loved, and was reliable, and I regretted selling it.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

bxzx16v wrote:Some good advice regards the C5 from everyone, I've had two a 2.0 hdi and a 2.2 hdi both series one cars with over 100k on them when bought privately for a very good price, never had any serious issues with either. My wife ran a renault laguna 2 at the same time as my C5's and tbh I preferred that myself. We had a laguna 3 after that and we were very happy with that, this would be my choice at the sort of price range your looking at with the 2.0 dci (150bhp) engine, get one with fsh and it will serve you well, I'd have another one in a blink.

Mark
Something like this????

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

myglaren wrote:
mikesporting wrote:

Give us your approximate location and someone here in your vicinity may well step forward.

If it isn't too far away from you there is a rally in September that you could turn up at and ask there and most likely be offered the chance to drive one or two of them.

I'm currently in Leyland, Lancashire. Although in a few weeks I'll be moving just a place just outside of Wells, Somerset.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

I owned this car for 2 years it has just done over 106-107,000 miles and I know it has been serviced every 6,000 miles and has new tyres all round in the last 6 months, new brakes all round top discs and pads, and it also benifits from a new water and cambelt change which got done just after I purchased it from the same garage, since the cambelt and water pump had been fitted its covered 25-30,000 miles it averaged around 78.6 mpg if driven carefully and that's how I drove it, its at a local garage and I only changed the car because I wanted to upgrade, I have added a link and see what you think.

http://www.peterandersoncars.co.uk/used ... 8086453987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps

Dan
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Nice model the dynamique S, I had the estate / tourer one. Very underrated cars.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

citroenc5mad wrote:I owned this car for 2 years it has just done over 106-107,000 miles and I know it has been serviced every 6,000 miles and has new tyres all round in the last 6 months, new brakes all round top discs and pads, and it also benifits from a new water and cambelt change which got done just after I purchased it from the same garage, since the cambelt and water pump had been fitted its covered 25-30,000 miles it averaged around 78.6 mpg if driven carefully and that's how I drove it, its at a local garage and I only changed the car because I wanted to upgrade, I have added a link and see what you think.

http://www.peterandersoncars.co.uk/used ... 8086453987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps

Dan
Thanks for your help Dan! I were originally interested in a 1.6 HDI but after some of the replies I have been put off buying one....
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

bxzx16v wrote:Nice model the dynamique S, I had the estate / tourer one. Very underrated cars.

Mark
It does look a lovely car, slightly over my budget though....
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

Morning guys,

Does this car have the same engine issues as the C5 1.6?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

I would presume so being the same engine, however the engines foes need to pull such a heavy car around so maybe it doesn't suffer with them sort of problems, I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me tho.

Dan
micky707
My Cars:

Post by micky707 »

They use that engine in many cars inc the Mini, Focus, Peugeots and a few others. I bought my 2.0L HDI 138 on a 56 plate last year at auction, it only had 47k on it with full history, and is a dream to drive and has a massive amount of space inside. The one thing with these cars is they like motorway cruising and not continually used for short trips. It has been very reliable and is cheap to run and I average between 48 and 52mpg which will do me.
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......