Declaring SORN

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Declaring SORN

Post by citronut »

wurlycorner wrote: If the car is sold on 30th/31st and the new owner wants to collect/tax the car that day, they will have to fork out for a full months tax that they won't be using (they will only get 1 days worth).
you can purchase road tax up to around 14 days i believe to commence at the start of the following month
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Jim, it comes from years of crossing swords with all these little tin-pot Napoleons. When I've got nothing to lose, I get great pleasure in telling them to go Farkem Hall. =D> =D> :shock:

There's nowt wrong wi' a bit o' 'ealthy cynical skepticism. [-o<

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Jim, it comes from years of crossing swords with all these little tin-pot Napoleons. When I've got nothing to lose, I get great pleasure in telling them to go Farkem Hall. =D> =D> :shock:

There's nowt wrong wi' a bit o' 'ealthy cynical skepticism. [-o<

H
It's OK, I was being ironic handyman... At my age I've been around long enough and seen too much not to have a very healthy dose of it myself :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Think yourself lucky I'm not a Yank. I'd never have gotten what you were on about. #-o

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Think yourself lucky I'm not a Yank. I'd never have gotten what you were on about. #-o
They either don't get it at all or do it brilliantly. There's no middle ground at all. The Simpsons is a good example of the latter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Guys,

Just reading this and I realised I have some tricky manoeuvring ahead of me to get my new Xantia taxed, insured and MOT'ed !

I won't get it back home until the 24th, and according to the seller its only taxed until the end of the month, and MOT is due "mid August". So I need a bit of advise on how to proceed.

Step one of course is to insure it before it's collected - this won't be a problem as I'm going to phone Admiral tomorrow and add it to my policy. (I can't take my existing Xantia off just yet so I'm just going to have to put up with a month or two of more expensive multi-car insurance...) They were quite happy to insure my current Xantia on the day before the change of ownership went through so that's fine.

The next steps could be a hurdle though. I need to apply for a tax disc immediately that I get it home as it will only have 7 days left on it by then. The seller is going to sign the V5C and give me the entire V5C to deal with since a third party (Trainman) will actually be collecting the car from the seller.

Since the change of registered keeper won't go through for a few weeks after I post it in it looks like I'll have to use section 10 of the log book (V5C/2) and go to the post office to pay the first tax disc before I'm officially the owner, correct ?

That's fine, but according to the direct gov website to apply for a tax disc at the post office I need the V11 reminder and a current valid MOT certificate. (I also need a print out of my insurance certificate - fortunately Admiral makes those available as PDF's immediately) Will the fact that the MOT runs out only a couple of weeks after the tax disc would start matter ?

I can't guarantee that during the handover I'll end up with the V11 reminder and the previous MOT certificate if either have been lost, so if those don't materialise am I snookered ? :( If I'm applying online for a new tax disc MOT and insurance are checked electronically, but not if I pay at a post office. (I've run into this snag before...) So in that case what do I do ?

Next problem is booking in an MOT - its due in Mid August so to allow time for any remedial work to be done I also need to book that in as soon as I get the car and have done my own once over of the car... am I going to run into problems booking an MOT for a car whose tax has not yet been renewed for the date which the MOT will be undertaken, or for that matter a car that is not yet in my name ? Or am I going to have to sort out the tax at the post office and THEN book the car for an MOT once the DVLA computer system shows the car as taxed through August ?

Bit of a minefield really, and this all assumes that the car passes the MOT without issues! :?
Last edited by Mandrake on 20 Jul 2014, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As far as I am aware, it just says current MoT certificate. There does not appear to be any discretionary facilities allowed. I would, however, check on the DVLA website for clarification.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:As far as I am aware, it just says current MoT certificate. There does not appear to be any discretionary facilities allowed. I would, however, check on the DVLA website for clarification.
So it has to be a physical copy of the last MOT certificate then ? They can't look it up on their computer system ?

If that's the case and I don't get it I really am snookered, as I'd have to take the car for an MOT before I could tax it, which would mean it would need to go in for a test before the 30th...no wiggle room if any work and a retest is needed...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Simon, I believe now in a Post Office you need no documents at all to tax a car as all is now electronic. I believe though that the MOT certificate must be current when the new tax is to begin.

The MOT 'certificate' is just a receipt now and hence why it's just a plain A4 print. Insurance proof is on-line via MID so all the PO does is check both are valid using on-line methods...

Go for it!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This could be worth a look;

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just used it for Gracie (using the document reference number in section 1 of the V5C) and I got the MoT status of Gracie.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 20 Jul 2014, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also you can access the MOT history online and print it out to take to the PO.
Some post people are quite benign and helpful. Others unfortunately...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Take the "new keepers" slip to the post office. Give them money. Get tax. Easy.

The 3-wheeler's MOT runs out on the 11th April. The tax runs out at the end of March. I had no problems taxing it with only the new keepers slip and no other documentation (obviously it was insured and MOTd) because all the docs were up north. They simply checked On Their System

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Declaring SORN

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:Also you can access the MOT history online and print it out to take to the PO.
.... are ***ts

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the new keeper can tax a newly acquired car with the green slip ( new keepers supplement ), as long as it has a current MOT and you have insurance in your name for said jaloppy,
and i think its something like you can purchase tax up to 14 days before to previous disc expires ( might not be for new keeper on green slip though????? )
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

myglaren wrote:Also you can access the MOT history online and print it out to take to the PO.
or the previous owner could email you the MOT and you could run a copy off, as long as you print it in the original A4 format,

when i MOT'ed Chris Salters GSA just before the ICCCR he had to tax it before he came down to collect it, i emailed a copy to him, he had prob's printing a full size copy so took a half sized print out along to his local P/O, they rejected it on grounds it were not the original document,
he did manage to copy full size and went to a different P/Owho had no issues with issuing a disc,
after his purchase he showed them the miniature version and asked if they would ghave had a problem issuing tax with it, they said no problems at all as they dont actually require to see it at all
Regards, malcolm.