Veggie and Activa tales but now rental reviews blog!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP

Re: Veggie and Activa tales but now rental reviews blog!

Post by KP »

Cool stuff, I'll get the old one on its way as soon as the new one if fitted. Ooo I'll get my 30pin breakout cable ordered as well. I think I'll be needing it...
KP

Post by KP »

Service citroen :)
KP

Post by KP »

Balls balls and more balls!
Well after losing my wallet yesterday although no cash all the cards I've lost from it and my licence it's a ball ache to sort out. I'll retrace my steps tomorrow and make sure it's not been a dopey left on the roof moment.

Received my 16-30pin lexia cable today. And no it doesn't work either!

The activa also cleared itself of the fault again just as the part came in as well :( but then when nearly home came back on so tomorrow is a trip to the bank to get some cash out in person and then to citroen to spend some of it then fitting it and retracing my steps.

Bit peeved off at the minute but ho hum!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: Bit peeved off at the minute but ho hum!!
I can imagine :evil:

Those 16-30 adaptors can be 'iffy' Will..

Often the white/grey clamp piece is best removed so the plug can go right home in the diagnostic connector. At least you know the connector itself is good from when my ELIT was on it...

Hope things improve very swiftly Will...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP

Post by KP »

Well tried seating it properly and still nothing so emailed the supplier.

I also fitted the new part. I use new loosely as it looks like it's as old as the one I took off and was just bagged from a parts box when I ordered it!

There appears to be a small screw that's hidden on the top, I wonder if this is to allow boost adjustment in some way...

That reduced my wallet count by 95 queens heads but included the dipstick and 2 sets of roll control arm guides.

I'm annoyed that the dipstick doesn't have the normal oil marker on the top and is more like a nice bright yellow plastic blob :(

However normal service has mostly resumed and she has been screaming round roundabouts and troubling the local wilmslow vehicles today in short bursts. This has highlighted the odd smell of burning brakes a few times... V6 upgrade can't come soon enough!

However the radio is toast! No matter what I do it just skips around and only seems to want to respond to the power button. Won't even change to cd input so I'll just replace it with a beer model and make up my own blanking plate for it as well.

Tyres are on the list still but think they can wait a while till I run these ones down a good bit :D
KP

Post by KP »

Oh and she ticked over 100,000 miles this week, 100,100 this afternoon then 100,109 just as I pulled up home :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :-D All sounding good bar the radio Will...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP

Post by KP »

Yip it's most annoying Jim but will just have to bite the bullet :(
KP

Post by KP »

Well last night I quickly did the drivers side roll control plastic guides.

Used some WD40 and cleaned up the rod as well as the surfaces then stuffed the new pair with High Temp grease and covered the bolts and nuts as well to make the job easier in the future for someone I hope and help keep the movement smoother as well and keep road grime out from adding to the wear. No doubt they will now last longer than the car!

I did think there was some wear on the rod but I don't think its significant enough to warrant replacement. Also moved the ball joint on it around a little as well and covered it in the same HT grease so that it will slowly work its way in hopefully all in the name of making the movement as smooth as when it was new :)

Quick test drive shows the car is certainly happier with its new wastegate actuator and actually feels a bit slower but not much so im guessing the old one was not releasing boost as it should have down allowing for a higher boost threshold as im yet to have the EML come on. Might soon be time to increase the boost a little!
KP

Re: Veggie and Activa tales again

Post by KP »

Well today i set about having a quick look at the ABS issue and replacing the Passenger Side Roll Control arm guides.

They were pretty well shot. No curve or such like in them, just a straight surface!
Anyway with that done i looked over the sensor. The cable disappears up into the engine bay and god knows where it ends up :(

Anyway within a minute of tracing it back i could see what the cause may have been. The inner CV boot has let go and I don't mean i small hole I mean split totally!!!
Also the front tyres awe well past it as there is cracking within the tread pattern, this probably accounts for the small vibrations i feel at speed sometimes in her.

Also the dust bellows on both the ram and strut weren't in place so edges have been cleaned up and relocated back to their homes.
While i was there i soaked all nuts and bolts with WD40 incase they ever need to come off it could help in the future and then applied some grease over the top to help keep more dirt from getting in.
Also looking over it there is damaged on every panel to some extent, the most annoying being the rear bumper/wing seems to have been caught right in the middle by a post or something as you can see where a repair has been attempted, and the rear C pillar tops are cracking where citroen in their stupidity glued them instead of welding them.

Does anyone know where the FNSR ABS sensor connects up at all? im hoping the cable hasn't been split after the connector but anything is possible i suppose.

Also there appears to be a hole in the bottom of the gearbox bell housing, ive never seen it in a box before that i can recall but is this normal? Its in the Clutch housing i should say and not the gearbox mechanism housing :(

So now it looks like I have the following list to resolve,

ABS sensor issue
Inner CV Gaitor
Front tyres
Gearbox hole(if an issue)
Dash trim and radio surround repair/replacement
Radio replacement (i have a newer calrion that i may drop in just to try it)
Airbox and airbox outlet pipe
Decent backbox
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's not a bad list by Activa standards Will :)

The ABS sensor connector is more or less behind the inner CV joint on that side and often covered in a thick layer of grease and rubbish and often of sufficient thickness to hide it!

Then it disappears into the loom and appears at the ABS ECU connector. Somewhere on here are diagrams of the ABS ECU connector showing where each sensor terminates.

Inner boots are OK to do with a cone applicator. Just grease up the new boot really well and turn it inside out....

Can you post up a piccy of the hole? I think I know what you mean and if it is that then it's OK but best to check.
Jim

KP

Post by KP »

Trundles off to get a pic :)
KP

Post by KP »

here you go Jim :)

Also found another thing while putting some windscreen wash in i did a quick splash of water over the oil cooler and rads and inlet manifold while doing some cleaning of it and some got in the plug wells. No biggy the engine was running and quite warm so it would boil off quick enough. Except on plug 2 (from the flywheel end) where it gurgled a bit :( This did not impress me and i went to get my toolkit. To find out the bl00dy halfords advanced pro toolkit i got a while back doesnt have a deep 16mm socket for the plugs! it literally skips in size from 15-17!! WTF

And the only other one im sure i have my brother has in his garage miles away! so i'll have to pick that up on the way home from work tomorrow to check it, if its cross threaded or something then im gonna have to see about a helicoil which wont be cheap i imagine :(
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Post by DHallworth »

If you've got the same Halford Advanced toolkit in the big black case that we have there are two specific spark plug sockets.

I believe it's the smaller of the two, but one of them definitely 100% fits the plugs that are in the Activa... I used it to change mine on the TCT last year and used the same socket to change the plugs on the V6 before it went in.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
KP

Post by KP »

Plug out and it's from somewhere called autolite. It doesn't look great so it's going in the bin and new ones ordered. It looks like there is a washer with rubber seal in the middle like a metal rubber metal sandwich that could have caused the issue but also about 1/2 down the thread in the hole it looks like there isn't much thread :( going to get some new ones and oil the thread and be gentle putting it in and keep my fingers crossed!