I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Some British acquaintances...

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just for a bit of balance, there is something about old vans which is appealing. Particluarly those with two eyes, a nose, and a mouth...the morris LD looks happy :) while the Morris J s either shocked or glum :-o :(

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 26 Jun 2014, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by CitroJim »

Oh then memories. I have fond recollections of each and every one of those as a kid :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

For the brown LD Van with "Lakeland" on it its "Graves" the Baker for me. Used to come around every week with bread/fruit pies and cakes.
I remember a bright orange cake with smooth icing all over and orange hundreds and thousands on the sides. A slice of that had us running around manic for ages!

neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have spotted this "HY Kitchen" in Vienna Austria. (Thanks to Hell Razor5543 for the thread tip :) )

I have taken pics and enjoyed some homemade lemon-ginger soda.
Related Facebook pages (German language): https://www.facebook.com/HYKitchen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you happen to be in Vienna just give a visit. Here are the GPS coordinates of the location:

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for the pics and as promised a well deserved 51 points. I like the sound of the homemade lemon-ginger soda. I have a batch of elderflower champagne 5 days into its fermentation and just about ready to bottle. The thread started with a visit I made to Edinburgh, and a stop off at a Citroen H Van selling soup up by the University, and has collected contributions from many parts of the Country, one from France, and now one in Austria. Strange thing is, in spite of its many other attractions if we happen to visit Vienna we will be looking for the HY Kitchen and that lemon-ginger soda as top of the "to do" list:)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Talking about vehicles with two eyes a nose and a mouth...

I like a bit of nostalgia from time to time. Like the I-Spy books, I also remember with affection the old ladybird books. As well as the usual well loved childrens stories, there were nature ones, and a decent crop of historical ones as well. They were always absolutely beautifully illustrated, and one of the artists was

John Kenney also responsible for the first illustrations of "The Eight Famous Engines" by The Rev.W.Awdry

The particular book which was also a favourite of our own girls growing up was "Tootles the Taxi". Lovely illustrations by John Kenney, giving character to each of the cars, vans bikes and lorries and simple rhymes. So if there is anyone else that remembers this little gem, I'll give you "Tootles the Taxi" from row 1, and "Oompus the Omnibus" from row 5, can you name any of the others.....?

Just for amusement while waiting for the next H Van to be spotted :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They really are lovely Neil....

You're really coming out with some real gems...

More stuff I grew up with :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The Estafettes are coming o-ho, o-ho!....

No details of when and where yet but the "Crema Caravan" is set to hit the streets of Auld Reekie soon.....

Yes, and in spite of the title of the thread, I think Big Chief I-Spy would be quite flexible with respect to points awarding, should the odd Estafette or Peugeot D3 D4 J7 or J9 try to sneak in :)

regards Neil

ps from first hand experience Theakston's "Tour de Wot" from the Black Bull at Masham North Yorkshire is a perfect summer pint!

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The Estafette is such a cute little thing... Mind you, back in those days most small and medium vans were really quite easy on the eye and then came the Transit and it all went downhill from there...
Jim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

No shortage of traders with H vans (and a few other vintage vehicles) at Glastonbury over the weekend!
NewcastleFalcon

dsney,

This looks like a typical pic of a Glastonbury van with mud and wellies to the fore!

I dug it out from here

The accompanying writing is just a touch cynical

"The Citroen H Van. I took a photo of this one, thinking it quite quirky, nice to see, a turn-up for the books et cetera. Then I realised that the Glastonbury site is absolutely flooded with the old lugs, all fitted out for the dispensary of coffee, cakes, sandwiches, crepes, doughnuts and other comestible delights. And, inevitably, all purely intending to separate revellers from their cash. In deed, far from saying “oh, cool” on spotting an “H”, the angular Citroen fast became my nemesis. In the hemp-smoking (optional), alcohol-doused (obligatory), peace and equality-loving Glastonbury spirit, the Citroen “H” represented The Enemy. Identified by a constant queue of parched punters who really should have known better..they might as well have been operated by Starbucks .................." Chris Haining.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: The accompanying writing is just a touch cynical
Just a touch?

More like full-on both barrels at point-blank range :twisted:

Whoever he is he has no soul...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

At last, I got a call in Oxford, and can prove the existence of the H Van in my first post!;

http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/james ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was also an H Van on the 05:30 Breakfast news on BBC1, but (due to rights reasons) the iplayer won't work on the Breakfast show!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 02 Jul 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Cynical in more ways than one: Glasto food and drink is by and large excellent and very reasonably priced.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes, and rather hypocritical, as I presume no one forced him to go to Glastonbury at gunpoint...