Xsara thermostat into brakes?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Xsara thermostat into brakes?

Post by Stuart McB »

On Friday I noticed that the VTR was taking time to warm up so when I got to work I contatced the local Citroen dealer and asked about the thermostat rattings for the Xsara VTr "89c sir and we have then in stock at £8.27". Now I know GSF do them for £8.50 and being a tight wad off I trooped to the dealer. Any how sure enough on removal the old stat had seemed to have jammed half open, but it was rated at 88c so replaced it, flushed the system and refilled with Citroens own coolant. On the test drive at 2 o'clock I heared the dreaded SKREETCH of worn brake pads. S**t [:(] I thought GSF are now shut I'll have to go to H***ords. Any how £30 lighter (with brake cleaning fluid) I set about sorting the brakes. Does any one here under stand the phrase "on the rivets" well they were almost on the metal. Funnily enough every thing came apart at the first attempt, even the brake bleed nipples. All sorted over the week end total time 3.5 hours with lunch and coffe. [:D][:D]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Interesting !, but i didnt know brake pads were riveted anymore?, i thought they were glued nowdays
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Interesting !, but i didnt know brake pads were riveted anymore?, i thought they were glued nowdays
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't think pads were <b>ever</b> rivetted; linings on shoes used to be, though.
Stuart - Is your warning light for pad wear not working? Hope your 'coffe' is better! [}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

It;s just a phrase we used as kids, my old 850cc mini had drums on the front. Thanks the coffe was fine (spelling)
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

It;s just a phrase we used as kids, my old 850cc mini had drums on the front. Thanks the coffe was fine (spelling)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah - my wife used to have a Min, Stuart. Stopping wasn't its best point; fact is, I cannot think what its best point <b>was</b>, unless you count the fact that you could get quite a big lunchbox in the boot!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I don't think pads were <b>ever</b> rivetted; linings on shoes used to be, though.
[/quote]
When I first got into car maintenance, you never bought new brake shoes. All you got was a set of linings and a little bag of brass rivets. Old rivets were chiselled off and new ones put in.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I remember my dad doing that with drum brakes. In the shed cursing as he'd not got enough rivets. [:)].
As for the warning lamp but n the 1.6 VTR no lamp sensor on the brakes is fitted. It relys on the SCREECH!!!! method like old VX Cavaliers used to.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Wow - thought everything had one of those now! Some days I learn one thing, sometimes more. Most days I forget at least two things [:D]